RJolly87
Well-Known Member
One of my ongoing battles has been cassette tapes. This is a medium that is impossible to ignore, especially when full albums can be had 5/$1.00 all day long, and it is a lot of stuff from the eras that I am enjoying so far. However, it has proved to be one of the most temperamental mediums as well. Good luck finding tapes that haven't been beat to death, and good luck finding a good tape player.
The Pioneer Rack system that serves as my current jalopy has a twin cassette setup. The player side needs belts, so it eats tapes, and the recorder side doesn't know how to do any mid or high frequencies. I suspect it has something to do with the foreign substance caked on the head that WILL NOT come off, even with brute force, a q-tip, and some alcohol
Enter in round 2, a Technics RS-TR155. It also is temperamental, and high frequencies are intermittently sketchy, and DNR yields no improvement, actually, it makes it worse. This unit has auto reverse on one side only. The best part? When it does reverse, it plays double speed.
Third time's the charm! The Onkyo TA-RW313

Once I got the inch thick pile of dust off of the heads, and started shuffling around cassettes, I knew I had won. I also know that I can probably flip it for twice what I paid for it also ($12), but I doubt I will be going there any time soon. For the first time, I could actually hear the hissing of a cassette, and how DNR addresses it. Also having twin auto reversing decks that work properly is also a mega bonus too.
I am flippin' excited
What are the figures on this deck anyway? When did it come out? What part of the range was it in? If it wasn't top dog, what was?
The Pioneer Rack system that serves as my current jalopy has a twin cassette setup. The player side needs belts, so it eats tapes, and the recorder side doesn't know how to do any mid or high frequencies. I suspect it has something to do with the foreign substance caked on the head that WILL NOT come off, even with brute force, a q-tip, and some alcohol
Enter in round 2, a Technics RS-TR155. It also is temperamental, and high frequencies are intermittently sketchy, and DNR yields no improvement, actually, it makes it worse. This unit has auto reverse on one side only. The best part? When it does reverse, it plays double speed.
Third time's the charm! The Onkyo TA-RW313

Once I got the inch thick pile of dust off of the heads, and started shuffling around cassettes, I knew I had won. I also know that I can probably flip it for twice what I paid for it also ($12), but I doubt I will be going there any time soon. For the first time, I could actually hear the hissing of a cassette, and how DNR addresses it. Also having twin auto reversing decks that work properly is also a mega bonus too.
I am flippin' excited

What are the figures on this deck anyway? When did it come out? What part of the range was it in? If it wasn't top dog, what was?