• Please note that Audiokarma will be offline briefly for updates early on Monday morning, September 28th.

Weird power issue on this yamaha tc 720?

TrevorBarten

Well-Known Member
I have this yamaha tc 720 and apart from all the belts having turned to mush it has a weird issue. I can't really describe it so I made a video.

It seems it loses and quickly regains power every second or so. Is this due to the belts not being there or is something else going on?
 
Register to hide this ad
It seems it loses and quickly regains power every second or so. Is this due to the belts not being there or is something else going on?

Most likely the mechanism was in play mode when the capstan belt failed. The takeup reel sensor is (correctly) detecting the lack of movement and keeps trying to auto-stop it. That would mean it's not a power issue -- you're just hearing a solenoid snapping. So yes, re-evaluate after you have belts in place.
 
Most likely the mechanism was in play mode when the capstan belt failed. The takeup reel sensor is (correctly) detecting the lack of movement and keeps trying to auto-stop it. That would mean it's not a power issue -- you're just hearing a solenoid snapping. So yes, re-evaluate after you have belts in place.
That doesn't explain the light's going dim right ? Or is that just power being drawn by the solanoid ?
 
I have this yamaha tc 720 and apart from all the belts having turned to mush it has a weird issue. I can't really describe it so I made a video.

It seems it loses and quickly regains power every second or so. Is this due to the belts not being there or is something else going on?
Patrick O'Connell repaired and restored one of these (I have one as well), and he ran into the same problem you (and I) are having. He tracked it down to three bad caps on a board near the power supply. He talks about this issue at about 3:42 into his youtube video.
Here is his youtube video on it:
 
Patrick O'Connell repaired and restored one of these (I have one as well), and he ran into the same problem you (and I) are having. He tracked it down to three bad caps on a board near the power supply. He talks about this issue at about 3:42 into his youtube video.
Here is his youtube video on it:
Okay, that was not it. I replaced those three caps and my unit still does the same thing yours does. Pat did mention at the end of the video that he recapped the entire unit, something I just as soon would not do.
I will keep trying to figure this out, though.
 
Back
Top Bottom