• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Weird speaks on CL

tuffstuff1

Super Member
Anyone ever see anything like this? I thought they were interesting.

From CL ad:
Very rare pair of mid century modern speakers they hang from the ceiling
there are 12 speakers in each cabinet very heavy speakers
these speakers sound amazing.
 

Attachments

  • wierd speakers.jpg
    wierd speakers.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 257
Register to hide this ad
IDK? These would be pretty hard to make. They look mid evil. I likey! See more pics. They are asking 2 bills.
 

Attachments

  • Pic 2.jpg
    Pic 2.jpg
    927 bytes · Views: 382
  • Pic 3.jpg
    Pic 3.jpg
    1.4 KB · Views: 382
Those should be mounted to the roll cage on a car from the movie Mad Max! Only thing missing are spikes! Very cool looking.
 
I'd love a pair of those, not because they have great imaging (they're almost Bose-like on the direct/reflecting thing) but just because they're cool.

PS I think you mean 'medieval'.
 
phantasm-oblivion.jpg
 
Those speakers are definitely home made copies of the cabinet design of Design Acoustics D-12's but that is where the similarities end. These particular speakers have been listed on FleaBay for months with the price being dropped every so often. Since they are a "one off" design, who knows what they sound like? Because they used uniform drivers, if their frequency response was tweaked with proper external equalization they could sound excellent but I wouldn't expect much bass. Turning one face into a tuned port rather than an active driver could help the bass output, but I still wouldn't expect much.

The key to making a successful dodecahedral cabinet lies in the bevel angle of each edge of the pentagon shaped pieces that comprise the structure. It has to be just right for all of the edges to mate together properly and form a good seal when they are glued. When I worked at Design Acoustics assembling D-12 cabinets was a pain in the butt! We didn't have to do it very often though as they never sold in much volume.
 
Thanks for the analysis stickman. As a woodworker and speaker lover I always thought about building some, but that angle thing was the big problem in my mind. Any error, even a degree, gets multiplied when you're making even a normal box. A 12-sided box would require VERY precision cutting equipment.
 
Thanks for the analysis stickman. As a woodworker and speaker lover I always thought about building some, but that angle thing was the big problem in my mind. Any error, even a degree, gets multiplied when you're making even a normal box. A 12-sided box would require VERY precision cutting equipment.

Not only that, but the 50 hinges alone would cost you nearly the $200. If those were near me I would at least want to go hear them.
 
Back
Top Bottom