• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Welcome to Tape Heads!

Here's my system featuring a Sony TC-440 R/R deck, a Sony SLV-750HF VCR, a Technics RS-933W cassette deck, plus one of the first CD players (Realistic CD-1300), one of the last home turntables (Realistic LAB-2200) and one of the last American-made tv's (Magnavox, assembled in Greenville, TN Feb 1990). Chuck, nice LAB-395 turntable, btw. I bought one of those in '83 and upgraded to the linear-tracking LAB-2200 later. The home theater receiver is a Fisher RS-646 with Dolby Pro Logic and the CD changer is a Quasar CD894 (Quasar = Technics = Panasonic ... same factory, different label). A pair of Bose 201's, a Realistic dual-coil subwoofer, and Realistic center and surround speakers round out the lineup. There's also a second stereo VCR (Sharp) downstairs waiting for a new clutch. A Tripp-Lite UPS protects the system from surges and brown-outs plus provides back-up power so the VCR's never miss a program and never flash "12:00".
 
Last edited:
Originally posted by jshorva65
Chuck, nice LAB-395 turntable, btw.

Now I am impressed! I didn't really take that shot in a manner to focus on the turntable, but you were able to recognize the 395! You've got a sharp eye!
:ntwrthy:

As far as tape heads are concerned, there is also my Teac V400X cassette deck. I also have a Teac A-20 cassette deck with the origional stereo microphone MC-20.
 
Actually, I only recognized the LAB-395 because I owned one of them at one time. My system started out with an old Panasonic SE-2680 compact AM/FM/Phono/8-track unit (the turntable was a rim-drive changer with a Pickering V15 magnetic cartridge), an MCS-Series 3539 cassette deck, a Voice of Music model 730 half-track (mono) R/R deck and a pair of Thrusters SB-350 speakers in about 1979. I upgraded the R/R to a used Panasonic RS-790AD in about 1981, replaced the SE-2680's built-in rim-drive changer with the LAB-395 in 1983, replaced the Thrusters with a pair of Realistic Optimus-50's in 1985, replaced the SE-2680 and MCS 3539 with a Technics SA-450 receiver and RS-933W cassette deck in 1986. In about 1987, I bought the CD-1300 CD player. The LAB-2200 turntable was next, and I sold the LAB-395 to help pay for the new one. The used Sony TC-440 (3-head Auto-Reverse) was sold to me by my cousin in 1992 to upgrade from the old Panasonic 2-head R/R deck. The TC-440 has a neat system where the 3 heads are mounted on a turret that flips over when the tape reverses (the only drawback is that I need to check the heads' azimuth adjustments often and keep the turret cleaned and lubed to assure consistent correct alignment ... if it's wrong, my dbx NR unit makes a "breathing" sound on playback). The Magnavox stereo picture-in-picture TV and a Sanyo VCR (VHR-9600) were next in 1990. In about 1995, I added the Dolby Pro-Logic by trading in my old Technics SA-450 and buying a used Fisher RS-646 surround receiver. I sold the old Sanyo VCR the same year to get the cash to buy the (used) Sony SLV-750HF and the 5-disc CD changer.
 
Charlie, I enjoyed seeing your photo of the old Zenith "Space Command" remote. Brings back great memories of hanging at my childhood best friend's house. They had a Zenith with the Space Command. They also had a doorbell at the back door that had a ring a lot like an old telephone (bbbbbrrrrrriiiinnnnngggg), unfortunately, it had a tone much like the channel change tone the remote used. Every time we were sitting watching TV and someone rang the back doorbell, the channels would just start spinning.
 
WOW.... Talk about a blast from the past.
It was only a few short years ago (2007 ?) that the Tape and Turntable topics were one section and were them split into the separate "Tape" and "Turntable" sections.
If nothing else it is interesting to see one of the posts that tried to get the "Tape Heads" broken off from the "Vinyl Heads" back in 2002.
I am both a "Tape Head" and a Vinyl Head" and I say "ROCK ON" :guitar:
 
Back
Top Bottom