• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Well, I messed up my Mitsubishi LT-22

Ginger Clark

New Member
I started with a perfectly good turntable that I've had for years and feel like I've made it unusable. I need someone to help me fix it.
First, the records started not sounding right, not being clear, cutting out. I decided it was the needle. Removed the Stanton 631 and replaced it with a new AT-3600-L. However I did it in place, and didn't realize until I was almost done that I could remove the headshell so I stood on my head to install the screws.

Meanwhile, although I'd unplugged the power, I hadn't unplugged from the amplifier. When I reached in the back to do that, I realized that the plugs weren't seated and I probably hadn't had to replace the needle after all. (drats!)
I was far enough into it that I just continued. I'm using Mitsubishi's instructions for installation. the only piece of info I didn't have is something called an Overhang Gauge to adjust the stylus. So I put it in the middle of the slots. I then followed the instructions for adjusting the tracking force, tonearm height, stylus height and counterbalance weight.
But maybe I've put some stress or other on it and that wonderful tracking device that holds the arm, no longer goes back to its start. When it tries to, it sets off a chattering noise. That, and the needle doesn't clear the record anymore.
As I said, I need a hand here and I'm hoping someone knows of a pro in southern California who can give me a hand. I could start over, reinstall the old cartridge and follow all the instructions for balance, etc., but I've gotten kind of timid about this. Really don't want to screw tis up any further.
 
Register to hide this ad
the only piece of info I didn't have is something called an Overhang Gauge to adjust the stylus.

Welcome to the AK turn table forum.

Can not help with the restoration, my is in working condition and have not taken it apart.

The cartridge alignment is 50 mm fro the tip of the diamond to the headshell washer. :)

The following is an illustration:
generic overhang.jpg
 
Hi and thank you so much for your reply!
This picture is really helpful
At least now I understand what's being measured and I just checked it and I think I stumbled onto the right distance. I have 5.0 mm which is what I think you meant.
Best,
Ginger
 
No. It is 50mm. 5mm is not even possible. While I am very well versed on the LT-22, I am on the east coast, so not much help to you. If the table has never been serviced, then it may just be the belts, which are a minor PITA to replace one of the two. The LT tables are very sensitive to the correct belts used. Too tight or heavy and the motors will not work correctly, and too loose and they slip. The tonearm “sled” rides plastic wheels on a VERY lightly oiled rail. They can get gummed up over time, and I have even seen them flat spotted where they have dragged over time. There is a very long thread on AK about the identical LT-20 (wood vinyl base vs grey) that covers everything. It is a PITA table to work on in general.

It is actually fairly easy to see if the stylus is in the correct location. Just watch carefully when it touches down on the record. It needs to be at the exact tangent parallel to the right hand edge.
 
Can't help but smiling with the image of you standing on your head, changing cart:D.
Good luck with the repair. You are truly worthy:thumbsup:
 
Go to vinylengine.com and grab the service manual for the LT-20 or 22. If you read it carefully you should be able to fix it.
 
Perry - Thank you for such a comprehensive reply. I'll keep in mind that there's a thread on he LT--20 Good to know the difference between the 20 and the 22 is only the base material.
nj phoenix - Thanks for not laughing out loud. My real problem was capturing each screw before it fell back out...could have done with a reverse-gravity switch at that spot.
Aerobat - I have the basic instructions and had the feeling that any idiot could follow them if done with care. But I'm a much more evolved idiot. I'll try vinylengine and see if the service manual helps. Thanks for a new source!
 
I think that your gut feeling to seek help, is probably the right way to go. Based on the symptoms, it sounds like it is just out of adjustment, and needs a tech to put things right. I would really suggest to find a reputable repair shop, and just pay someone to put it back into operation. I think having the enthusiasm and interest to complete a do it yourself repair is wonderful, but knowing your limits is a better sign of intelligence than blind enthusiasm, and if you believe you might ruin it in the process of repair, a tech would be a safer (if more costly) bet.

My main concern is that too much of this chattering noise could damage something (or maybe something is already damaged), chattering sounds like gears not meshing properly. Linear tables are very sensitive to belt tension and condition (I've had to try up to 4 or 5 different belts to get it right sometimes), and it may just be that yours needs a basic service and lubrication in addition to adjustment.
 
maxhifi: I 100% agree with you and am taking it to a place across town today (if I can just get out of the house). that chattering noise is my concern also. I just hope this place is okay. It's tough when there are so few places left---the good places we once knew are gone. As I said, hope this one is competent. Thank you for good advice.
 
maxhifi: I 100% agree with you and am taking it to a place across town today (if I can just get out of the house). that chattering noise is my concern also. I just hope this place is okay. It's tough when there are so few places left---the good places we once knew are gone. As I said, hope this one is competent. Thank you for good advice.

Good luck. It's not just techs which are hard to find, there is also the fact that this sort of equipment is getting WAY past the age it was designed to last, and parts haven't been made for decades. One strategy you could use, is to find a place which sells vintage Hi-Fi equipment, and ask them who their tech is. With all of the present interest in records and all things vintage, I'd think in a big city like LA, there has got to be a few decent service shops still in operation, you just need to find out who they are.
 
Well I found someone in Pasadena, Ca,(which is about 40 miles up the freeway from me) and am hoping for the best. He said it was a common turntable and he kind of talked it down a bit which always worries me when auto mechanics do that. But I'll just have to see what happens. It's the chattering that worries me. He's taking it apart by Friday and will let me know. And when I know, I'll let everyone else how posted here with suggestions (thank you) know also.
 
Well I found someone in Pasadena, Ca,(which is about 40 miles up the freeway from me) and am hoping for the best. He said it was a common turntable and he kind of talked it down a bit which always worries me when auto mechanics do that. But I'll just have to see what happens. It's the chattering that worries me. He's taking it apart by Friday and will let me know. And when I know, I'll let everyone else how posted here with suggestions (thank you) know also.


Does said tech sell equipment? Ask specific questions how much is the bench charge, the guy I use in PHX (its been a bit since I had things serviced) was 25-30. This will be applied to the repair much like an automotive mechanic will also let you get an idea of how much the total repair will cost. Also ask if he has experience with this genre of tables (beside his opinion on quality) from a repair perspective.

If it helps at all my dad's PL530 had a speed issue and needed a good tune up. Out the door for parts and labor I was at about 125.00 now this in PHX not LA
 
He's charging $60 to open it up and figure it out. That's really $60 an hour is what I think he's charging. Don't think overhead is as much in Az. I don't mind paying for a job well done.. I'll know better on Friday which is when he said he'd probably be able to get to it.
 
He's charging $60 to open it up and figure it out. That's really $60 an hour is what I think he's charging. Don't think overhead is as much in Az. I don't mind paying for a job well done.. I'll know better on Friday which is when he said he'd probably be able to get to it.


And thinking about this I may be wrong on the bench charge it probably was closer to that 50-60 mark. Good luck I hope you get it all working again.
 
Your good wishes are very welcome this morning (seems to be one of those days, I guess)
So thank you for that!
I will absolutely post results and prices (and the shop's name in case someone wants to know) when this gets figured out.
 
It's Saturday and I have my turntable working and back! Yay! Yay!. I took i to Audio Element in Pasadena, Ca., and Sean fixed it. He said all he had to do was open it up and clean it up a bit. He didn't seem to think that it was anything I did, but, frankly, I think I somehow knocked it out of alignment. The initial cost was $60 to look at it, and that was all he charged. I'm so happy to have it working! So I recommend Audio Element.
 
Back
Top Bottom