• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Weltron 2001 Tape Player Belt Problem

carguy4sp

New Member
I purchased a Weltron 2001 8 track player from fleabay for a fair price, but the belt was off when I purchased it.
I checked another site and the ould belt was a 10.5 but mine takes a 11.5 and less width. So I ordered the correct belt and installed it but on install I noticed it riding all the way to the top of the flywheel. The old belt did the sME.
i PUT IT ON AND RAN IT A FEW IIMES AND IT WAS HIGH BUT REMAINED ON SO i PUT UNIT BACK TOGETHER.

wELL OF COURSE THE BELT CAME OFF 30 MINUTES INTO eLVIS HAHAHAHAH.
I looked at pictures of other mid belt machines like mine and all have belts riding in the center of flywheel.
I disassembled everything again to look and the motor pulley sits high on the motor spindle shaft causing the belt to walk up on the flywheel.

I do not see any adjustments unless the motor has been changed out.
Any ideas or help on this one is an odd duck for sure.

I found up and down play in the flywheel shaft around a 1/4 inch. Any repair? Any way to shim the flywheel up a little higher?

Can I dimple punch the flywheel to allow more belt grip?
 

Attachments

  • Belt056.pdf
    Belt056.pdf
    270.4 KB · Views: 5
  • belt69.jpg
    belt69.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Register to hide this ad
Cool player, player! If you love those wacky players from the early 70's, this guy has a killer thread with his finds including a ton of Weltrons.

I usually go to Turntable Needles for advice, it looks like the original belt was 1/4" wide and judging by your photo, yours is 1/8"? They also have 12.1" listed as the length but without confirming with the original belt, internet numbers can be off.

I wouldn't punch the flywheel, I use Rubber Renew for some belts, when they sit for years they can get a white powder film on them that doesn't grip, the RR gets them sticky again. I've gotten new belts that looked new and work great, and belts that are new but must have been around for 20-30 years before being sold. They tend to be a little harder and don't grip.

Some of the moving parts might also have old belt goo, get out a microscope and look around, it will slow the motor, cause belt jumping and many other issues. The pulleys might also need a shot of lube.
 
Either the high point on the pulley isn't lined up with the center of the flywheel or the two aren't square to each other.

Doug
 
Back
Top Bottom