• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Western Electric collectors: is this of any consequence?

biscuithead

Me likes the eargasm retroplasm...
80F4767E-E309-48F2-B7C9-D045E678BB5B.png CB61EA30-0EAE-4AFB-AEEB-0C4645CC647F.png 5FEB232C-5F30-4ED6-A1D3-98CCD10DEC0F.png

I saw the tourist prices of these on the bay, and thought I’d share with you fine folks...


I like the glass jewels on it, but I’m not sure if is all that rare or desirable. I could imagine turning it into a lighted speaker switch box for people who have 5+ pairs of speakers...

Is this something anyone here wants? I can grab it up if it’s of interest to Western Electric collectors.
Not affiliated with seller
 
Last edited:
Register to hide this ad
Local switchboard, you'd have found it in a smaller commercial installation, hotel, offices, etc.. There's no provision for a calculagraph so it wasn't involved in long distance billing.

It's one of those things, no real practical application for it, eats up a lot of space.

But, someday there will be none, and i cannot imagine what you'd have to pay for a solid brass TS or TRS plug today. I know what Whirlwind got for them in the late 80's and i doubt the entry fee has gone down. I'm not sure you can even buy a 1/4" plug today that approaches the quality.
 
Local switchboard, you'd have found it in a smaller commercial installation, hotel, offices, etc.. There's no provision for a calculagraph so it wasn't involved in long distance billing.

It's one of those things, no real practical application for it, eats up a lot of space.

But, someday there will be none, and i cannot imagine what you'd have to pay for a solid brass TS or TRS plug today. I know what Whirlwind got for them in the late 80's and i doubt the entry fee has gone down. I'm not sure you can even buy a 1/4" plug today that approaches the quality.
Unfortunately, I see it as a parts treasurer trove. The brass 1/4 TRS, the glass lenses, a great little work bench...

But, I’m very opposed to space eaters now.
 
For a significantly lower entry fee, i could see myself enjoying a sunny afternoon reducing it's hulk down to a couple small boxes of goodies. Just the metal WE tag should be a 20-30 dollar trinket.

Imagine how many have hit the landfill or shredder complete.
 
I think it's really cool, but not cool enough to make space in my home for it.

However I have a friend who collects (among cars and other things) antique phone booths, I could see him putting such a piece in his "man-cave". For $150? For many of us that is in the pocket-money range, so an easy impulse buy. I would expect it to sell fairly easily.
 
I think it's really cool, but not cool enough to make space in my home for it.

However I have a friend who collects (among cars and other things) antique phone booths, I could see him putting such a piece in his "man-cave". For $150? For many of us that is in the pocket-money range, so an easy impulse buy. I would expect it to sell fairly easily.
My thought also.
I know of about a Dozen AKers in Colorado and a dozen more within 3-400 miles...If any of them want me to grab it up, I will.
 
Had one in our Fire HQ for years...really only retired it as the old techs that could service it all retired out. Don't know how many phone systems they have been through since...always "the new thing," then within 4-5 years the unknown company tanks, no parts or service...so you have to buy a new system.

Once, our Chief bought/salvaged a system from a closed department store, just to get parts!

Bring back that ole PBX console!
 
That brings back memories.
My mother was a Bell operator back in the 1960's.
I was just a wee lad but the bank of panels at her office must have been at least 30 foot long.
I still have her combination headphone/microphone. Only one side of the headphone has a speaker, the other side does not, that's the way they were made.
 
About one month ago....I bought this on a hunch....and made several thousand $ from that decision.

Part of the value was in the 1930's Western Electric rack itself.....but the still unknown to me was the true value of that one amp attached...and the meters. There was another panel.....that had toggles and plug receptacles also....

It was part of a Telephone system. There were some transformers inside that amp....but sold the entire thing as one piece.

I had no idea that the older Telephone gear was that valuable. But I believe that they are up-cycled to audio applications...

But......There was a similar unit to the one in this post, local to me....and I decided to let it go. Partly due to size....and really couldn't find enough information in the audio buying arena....

But....certainly...as a Man Cave item.....or like you say to scrap it...there is value there. All those pilot lamps.....the wiring.....the plugs and receptacles....the badge.....all certainly have value. Don't know how much.

IMG_2080.jpg
 
Bad picture....can't really tell if there is much inside except that mouse nest.....

What is inside the Desk Table flat part??

Screen Shot 2021-01-08 at 6.40.44 PM.png
 
^^^^^

WoW!

I guess the guy in Korea that makes reproduction WE audio amps would love to have some authentic WE wire....and parts of course.

@biscuithead

I read that each of those telephone plug cables has 3 separate wires inside....and it looks like there are about 18 or 20 on the switchboard you posted....

Each one about 3 feet?

Its not going to be a fortune....but something there.
 
Back
Top Bottom