• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

WESTERN ELECTRIC TUBE AMP ID ??? ANYONE EVER SEEN THIS BEFORE ? NO INFO AT ALL !!

tolemac

New Member
Hello everyone - came across this over the weekend at estate - never seen it before or heard of Hollywood Electronics - Its licensed by Western Electric ( says this on the label i attached - very first thing in writing if you can see it with my photo) but i cant find any details ... it weird - has phono input and 2 mic inputs ... tubed of course - anyone heard of this ??? I would think maybe radio stations or something ? not sure ... on the front there is a power switch and another switch that says remote/local ??? weird. So, i thought i would let the experts take a look at it. Any info would be helpful thank you community !!! image0.jpegimage9000.jpegimage0SDFG.jpegimage01.jpeg
 
Register to hide this ad
Thank you for the info - could i run my turntable with it , using a phono pre-amp ? hooked to it ? also - moderator edit - removed question about value as that breaks AK rules it lights up seems to work but i have not tried to hook speakers up yet ...
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for the info - could i run my turntable with it , using a phono pre-amp ? hooked to it ? it lights up seems to work but i have not tried to hook speakers up yet .

Well that’s got to be something - do you know if I can use a phono preamp and hook a turntable up to it ?
No as it is a mono unit not a stereo unit. You would need 2 of those amps for stereo.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I'm going to differ from the others here and say that it looks very interesting, maybe even an early Williamson design, based on the tube compliment. It looks to have some decent iron it, including the input transformer. I sure wouldn't fire it up, though, unless you are willing to put some restoration work into it first. A collector might be interested in it...
 
It’s sold metal - I just could not find any info on it - I did plug it in - oops - lights right up . But I did not test it
 

Attachments

  • IMG_8586.jpeg
    IMG_8586.jpeg
    43.3 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_8587.jpeg
    IMG_8587.jpeg
    81.4 KB · Views: 35
It’s sold metal - I just could not find any info on it - I did plug it in - oops - lights right up . But I did not test it

Well, if nothing smoked or blew a fuse, I suppose it's working... ;-)
The sticker says licensed by Western Electric - but I can’t find any info on Hollywood electronics ??? Weird

"Licensed by Western Electric" probably means an early agreement for some sort of technology for PA or theater equipment. I'm guessing Hollywood Electronics was a custom audio firm for commercial equipment.
 
That’s what I was thinking but could not find any info on this particular brand . What do you think the local / remote switch might be ? On the front of the unit - I’m confused on that one as well who knows -
 
If its anything like my Bogen M120, it has screw terminals in the rear for an outboard preamp with mic 1, 2, and input 3 volume controls so the amp can be put in a cupboard or attic out of the way and just have the mic volume controls to deal with.

A lot of these PA amplifiers were made to run 24/7 for years on end without any major repairs.
 
Sometimes the remote/local switch will also be for power control so it can be switched on and off from someplace other than the front of the amplifier.
 
I can’t believe you found an ad for it - that’s amazing - your the man Zach - when I toggle the remote / local switch - it almost seems like it’s a supercharger of sorts - not sure how to explain but seems like the Amp makes a louder Humm / and more power is being surged ??? If that makes sense . I got it from an estate sale thinking I could hook my turntable into it because it said phone input. It’s probably just way out of my league. I’ll just maybe end up selling it I guess not sure what else I could do with it. Thanks for all the great information I looked for hours couldn’t find anything about it.
 
I can’t believe you found an ad for it - that’s amazing - your the man Zach - when I toggle the remote / local switch - it almost seems like it’s a supercharger of sorts - not sure how to explain but seems like the Amp makes a louder Humm / and more power is being surged ??? If that makes sense . I got it from an estate sale thinking I could hook my turntable into it because it said phone input. It’s probably just way out of my league. I’ll just maybe end up selling it I guess not sure what else I could do with it. Thanks for all the great information I looked for hours couldn’t find anything about it.
If you go straight to the back of your radio and television news magazine and check the "index of advertisers" you'll find a list of every firm which took out an ad that month. Along with the page, or pages the ad runs on. If you have the magazines it's pretty easy to locate this stuff. If all you have is Google, it may not be ever be found...
For example:
Once, years ago someone came up with a Livingston stereophonic amplifier, with cool case work and potted transformers running push pull 6v6s. It was the first home stereo amplifier ever offered to the consumer. I found the "New product announcement" for that very amplifier in a radio and television news I happened to be looking through and posted it to AudioKarma and made the dudes day.
 
Back
Top Bottom