• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Western MA, Checking in

barf_perro

New Member
What's up everyone? I finally made an Audiokarma account after years of lurking.

A bit about me: Born and raised in western mass. Probably about 12 years ago my father, who used to do bulk trash pickup for the city we lived in, gave me a Sansui G-8000 that someone had thrown away (I know...), which started my interest in good, vintage stereo equipment.

Over the years, I've had extremely good luck hitting the thrift stores in the area and have acquired a setup that I'm generally really happy with. The aforementioned Sansui receiver, Polk Audio Monitor 5a speakers, an equalizer, a modest CD player and cassette player, and a rotating cast of turntables that I've acquired for free (or close to free). The turntables include a JVC QL-A2, Dual CS 505-2, Pioneer PL-630 (which needs some repair and I incidentally posted about in the turntables forum), and finally a Thorens TD-145 MKII that I snagged from Goodwill this past Wednesday. Unfortunately, four turntables is "too many" and I need to thin the collection down to just a couple. I'll hopefully be gifting the JVC and Dual turntables to friends who are trying to build a stereo setup soon, otherwise I'll probably try to sell them for cheap, although the JVC and I have been through a lot and I'd love to see it go to a good home.

Anyway, I've done some minor repairs on most of the aforementioned items and that is essentially what had me lurking AK in the past. Over time I've developed the mindset that good things should be kept in good working order, and with so much stuff in the world already, there's not much of a need to buy anything new that you don't have to. Hence the growing interest in repair. I also find it enriching to find something with potential, fix it up a bit, and give it to a friend. I'm still very new to repairing electronics and haven't done anything major yet.

I'm mostly just a normal dude. I listen to a ton of different kinds of music, but I've always been really into older punk, surf rock, and stuff like that. But I do enjoy most genres of music to some degree.

I'm getting long winded. I also love horror movies, literature, Indian food, riding my bike, playing bass I live with my girlfriend and my cat, blah blah blah. Lots more to say but that's more or less the deal with me for now. Happy to be here.
 
Register to hide this ad
Welcome to AK.
I'd like to invite you and your GF to our "FrankenFest" audio get together in 2 weeks.
It's Saturday October 17th in West Boylston, MA (north of Worcester).
We've been doing this twice a year for like 20 years and it's a blast!

Here's the details:

 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom