• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Wharf. W35 x-over tweet issues

cleonjr

Super Member
Ok I finaly got some pictures of my Speakers I want to replace/Upgrade the tweeter's and maybe do a re-cap on the x-over's ,or maybe buy a new x-over.I do not care about keeping them original and Wharf's are well respected and I know I will totally change the sound of these speakers.But THey are not in that good of shape to restore they really only are good for re-purposeing.

Can I just add new caps to the board without messing with the inductors and L- pad's my skills at this kind of work sucks and I have real bad eyesight and early stage Parkinsons.,I just want to do the caps,but the speakers do sound ok the high's are a bit anemic though. and I want to get new tweeters maybe a soft dome? thanks all help is greatly Appreciated.

HPIM0128.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
HPIM0127.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
HPIM0126.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
HPIM0120.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
HPIM0114.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
HPIM0129.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
HPIM0131.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
 
Register to hide this ad
not much luck on finding a decent tweeters, is a 4" round and 3.75mounting holes on the diagonal.I have looked on the bay and P.E. madison and MCM any more places anyone can think of
 
Well it turns out I forgot about a extra w35 I had so I can pull the tweeter from it,and on further listening I think the crossovers are fine.So I dodged the bullit on this Issue WHEW!! I really did not want to go into these speakers,Now they can remain original.BTW they sound very good after some relaxed listening.I have them in my work/storage room and running them with a little 3116 amp. they really shine on jazz,will listen some more tommorow

these will never go anywere the main reason they are too ugly,some one painted them and there is no front covers, It would be a good project but not for me I am A D.A.E. Graduate.But all is wellwith the Wharfedales.
 
Well, I'm really surprised no one chimed in but I'm glad you found a way to solve the problem.
BTW, if you did need to fix the crossovers inductors hardly ever need to be replaced. However capacitors do tend to drift in value, and contacts on L-pads can become corroded, both of which would impede your tweeter's performance. Of course that doesn't mean that yours are bad. If you find that while turning the L-pad the sound is uneven or breaks up a few shots of contact cleaner (such as Caig DeoxIt available at Radio Shack and such) usually solves that problem.:thmbsp: Checking capacitors, well that's another story.
 
Yea I tried to check the values of the capaciters wile they were connected and got noting,I guess they have to be done while not connected.but since both speaker sound good I will leave well enough alone.I will say though the Wharfedale W35 is a sweet sounding speaker.
 
Back
Top Bottom