• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Wharfedale evo 4.2 upgrade?

losthorizon

Well-Known Member
I have a pair of Wharfedale Evo 4.2 speakers that I am pleased with, but I am always thinking about what would be an upgrade that would give me a noticeable improvement in sound quality without an increase in size.
Your comments, please.
 
Register to hide this ad
Are the speakers still under warranty? You'll void that if you open up the speakers. And other than crossover modifications and cabinet reinforcement, there's not much you can do.
 
Good speakers that probably just need help with deep bass. So, I think I'd just add a decent subwoofer and be done with it...! ;)
 
Thanks for your comments. I am not displeased with them; in fact, I really like the sound. It's just that I, like most people, am always searching for that little extra.
 
That's the 'If it ain't broke, fix it until it is' syndrome, which is probably the defining characteristic of most of us audiophiles. No matter how happy we are with our systems, or how much money we've poured into them, we worry that there might be something better. So we try something else, and then something else...
I keep two ideas in mind:
First, I've only heard one system that ever made me think for more than a moment that it might actually be real people playing real instruments (to give credit where credit is due, it was at Take Five in New Haven CT back in 1982 or 3, and was a pair of the first Vandersteens with Mitch Cotter electronics - I don't know what the source was). It was a jazz recording, and it was the precision of the imaging that astonished me, but I'm aware that in reality, very rarely can you locate every instrument precisely. So the recording may not have been actually realistic, as alluring as it was.
Second: Many of the most pleasurable listening experiences I've had have been with pretty mediocre systems. And I'm not just talking about college systems in the 70s with beer and cheap weed. Our emotional state has a lot more to do with our perception of sound than we like to admit - being brought to tears while listening to a piece of music (which I hope happens to everyone) is, in my experience, rarely related to the quality of the system listened to.
If you want more bass (and who doesn't?) get a really good subwoofer - my experience is that hearing the air in the room (which isn't at all the same as lots of thumpathumpa but does require low bass capability) is very convincing.
 
That's the 'If it ain't broke, fix it until it is' syndrome, which is probably the defining characteristic of most of us audiophiles. No matter how happy we are with our systems, or how much money we've poured into them, we worry that there might be something better. So we try something else, and then something else...
I keep two ideas in mind:
First, I've only heard one system that ever made me think for more than a moment that it might actually be real people playing real instruments (to give credit where credit is due, it was at Take Five in New Haven CT back in 1982 or 3, and was a pair of the first Vandersteens with Mitch Cotter electronics - I don't know what the source was). It was a jazz recording, and it was the precision of the imaging that astonished me, but I'm aware that in reality, very rarely can you locate every instrument precisely. So the recording may not have been actually realistic, as alluring as it was.
Second: Many of the most pleasurable listening experiences I've had have been with pretty mediocre systems. And I'm not just talking about college systems in the 70s with beer and cheap weed. Our emotional state has a lot more to do with our perception of sound than we like to admit - being brought to tears while listening to a piece of music (which I hope happens to everyone) is, in my experience, rarely related to the quality of the system listened to.
If you want more bass (and who doesn't?) get a really good subwoofer - my experience is that hearing the air in the room (which isn't at all the same as lots of thumpathumpa but does require low bass capability) is very convincing.
I sat down last night and was going through my best records and cleaning them ( I can't stand clicks and pops ), and thinking to myself what each one of the songs meant to me. I am happy with the sound of my system and smile when I think of the equipment I had when I started and how far I have come. I was playing the ( classical chillout ) album yesterday, and I am still amazed at how beautiful it sounds.
 
Back
Top Bottom