• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Wharfedale W60 Recap

ggizzy

EMI extraordinaire
I'm going to recap my original Wharedale W60s this week. I ordered the pair of GE Dielektrol caps off that auction site. Are these the correct ones? The red dot denotes positive (+)? Any additional guidance? They are massive! Thanks.

They read:

80-20 637
Dielektrol
No PCBs
Capacitor
Made in the USA

23L87
12.uf 60Hz
480VAC 90C
Protected P723
C200AFC
VC12048LCK
 

Attachments

  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    181.2 KB · Views: 81
Last edited:
Register to hide this ad
I'm going to recap my original Wharedale W60s this week. I ordered the pair of GE Dielektrol caps off that auction site. Are these the correct ones? The red dot denotes positive (+)? Any additional guidance? They are massive! Thanks.

They read:

80-20 637
Dielektrol
No PCBs
Capacitor
Made in the USA

23L87
12.uf 60Hz
480VAC 90C
Protected P723
C200AFC
VC12048LCK

Those look like they'll work fine (provided they're in spec). They look very like the ones I put in my W60s (except a little used). I think mine were new old stock. But those are the units.
 
Much obliged for the reply. I hope they are in tolerance. They measure 12.8mfd and 12.9mfd. This is above 5% tolerance. (.5mfd) will that change the crossover frequency? It is a simple two-way crossover.
 
I have early W60s. I know the crossover.

As you point out, they're above 5% of spec., but the originals I pulled were +-20% if I recall.

They will likely be just fine. If anything, they may slightly lower your crossover a tad. Easier on the (mid)tweet.

Plug'em in and listen. Then you tell us what you think! You have to be the judge. :thmbsp:

They'll sound better if you clean them up :D
 
Last edited:
Yeah, 5% is very-doable. The originals were who knows.

Oil caps.... Mmm.. Yummy.

I love the sound I got, but I must admit, I also like the idea of having big, honkin' metal tubs filled with oil (Well, oil-soaked schtuff in layers, I mean).
 
Last edited:
Let us know how you make out and how they sound. When I did mine, the biggest improvements were smoothness, openness and a noticeably-flatter response. Just kinda' polished everything up and removed the veil.

Gettin' my funky on at the moment with my Wharfies... A 5CD funk box set called "In Yo' Face".
 
Last edited:
I'm going to recap my original Wharedale W60s this week. I ordered the pair of GE Dielektrol caps off that auction site. Are these the correct ones? The red dot denotes positive (+)? Any additional guidance? They are massive! Thanks.

They read:

80-20 637
Dielektrol
No PCBs
Capacitor
Made in the USA

23L87
12.uf 60Hz
480VAC 90C
Protected P723
C200AFC
VC12048LCK

Good luck with the recap! AK member cablephil212 recapped my original two-way W60s and they really sound great. We replaced the original caps with GE Dielektrols also - 12uf, 60hz, 5500VAC. Also non-PCB caps.

Let us know how things turn out!


EDIT:


Here is a GIGANTIC picture of the cap we used! :D

IMG_0018.jpg
[/IMG]
 
Last edited:
I did one speaker this evening and hooked the pair up to the stereo to see if I could discern a difference. Well worth it. Those electrolytics were over fifty years old!

The veil comparison seems most accurate. The uncapped speaker seemed much more muffled. Perhaps the 'openness' referred to earlier. Very much a clearer sound.

I'm going to let them set overnight as I have them shoegloo'd to the back plate.
 
Last edited:
I did one speaker this evening and hooked the pair up to the stereo to see if I could discern a difference. Well worth it. Those electrolytics were over fifty years old!

The veil comparison seems most accurate. The uncapped speaker seemed much more muffled. Perhaps the 'openness' referred to earlier. Very much a clearer sound.

I'm going to let them set overnight as I have them shoegloo'd to the back plate.


And of course, they'll only open up...
 
I've had about a week to listen to these speakers and am impressed. The new caps were a good investment. The only problem is that the tweeter in one of the speakers isn't functioning. It was like this when I bought the pair, but I was hoping a recap might bring it around. No dice.

Are there any tests to see if it's definatively kaput before I go replacing it? The speakers are original W60s. I can open it back up and dig out the tweeter box for pictures if need be.
 
I'm going to recap my original Wharedale W60s this week. I ordered the pair of GE Dielektrol caps off that auction site. Are these the correct ones? The red dot denotes positive (+)? Any additional guidance? They are massive! Thanks.

They read:

80-20 637
Dielektrol
No PCBs
Capacitor
Made in the USA

23L87
12.uf 60Hz
480VAC 90C
Protected P723
C200AFC
VC12048LCK
When you recapped did you go into the front of speaker or back? And which cap does the 12uf replace?
 
Back
Top Bottom