• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

What am I looking at here? 1 uf 10/100?

Greg64

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Looking to update a set of crossovers in my PSB 800i speakers. To make sure I get right the first time can anyone translate for me here, please? Is this yellow cap 1uf at 10 volts at 100 ohms? Or what am I looking at?

IMG_9488.jpeg
 
Register to hide this ad

Found this thread but not sure I’m much smarter after reading other than who made them originally. I’d like to understand how to cross reference these to higher quality crossover components.
 
"MKC" stands for metalized polycarbonate. That series seen in your pic was made by Philips.

MKC type caps are pretty decent sounding capacitors ( somewhat like a blend of MKP with some Mylar ( MKT ) > you'd need to compare a general purpose MKP type to a CDE series 940c to understand my comment ).

There's no doubt changing that 1uF MKC for any MKP type ( of any price point ) will alter the sound of the tweeter being fed through it.

If you think the speakers are real keepers, I'd put in a 1uF Jantzen Superior Z capacitor ( really a great sounding cap >> though expensive ).

OTOH, any Dayton MKP type will offer up a change in sound.

:)
 
Looking to update a set of crossovers in my PSB 800i speakers. To make sure I get right the first time can anyone translate for me here, please? Is this yellow cap 1uf at 10 volts at 100 ohms? Or what am I looking at?

View attachment 3411619
1 microfarad, 10% tolerance, 100Vdc maximum voltage. Some times the tolerance is given as an alpha character; e.g. K would indicate 10% tolerance on the capacitance value.
 
Back
Top Bottom