• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

What amp for RSIIIa?

mbeigh

Active Member
If you had $500 to spend for a preamp and amp to power these fine speakers, what would you do? I am currently using a Hafler dh-200 and 101 pre. I think there is more to be had with more power.

Any suggestions would be welcomed.

Thanks,
M Beigh
 
Register to hide this ad
or step up to the dh-500. i like mine!

you could also look at adcoms such as a GFA-555, a yamaha like the M-80/85, and many others. those are all a bit cheaper than $500, which will leave you some to upgrade your preamp too. not that the 101 isn't good, but i think for $150 to $200, you can do better. if you want the absolute best amp for $500, you can likely find a deal on something great, but your system will probably be preamp-limited at that point. just my 2 cents.

chris
 
If you had $500 to spend for a preamp and amp to power these fine speakers, what would you do? I am currently using a Hafler dh-200 and 101 pre. I think there is more to be had with more power.

Any suggestions would be welcomed.

Thanks,
M Beigh

Theres a Sunfire Series 2 on e-bay now ...its only at $360.00 It is virtually unclipable and has two sets of outputs for each channel.... one set is said to have a tubelike sound quality and the other has the high current capability. Its rated at 325 wpc at 8 ohms and doubles down with the load it is 1 ohm stable on a time limited basis. I have one on my Kappa's and feel its perfect for the current demands of the larger infinity speakers. Oh yes..... it is not mine. Augy
 
The Adcom GFA-555 (and Mk II) works great with RS-IIIa's, sounds excellent, is nearly bulletproof, and would fit your budget quite nicely leaving some extra for music or cables...or the next piece of gear. I used a Mk II on my RS-IIIb's for many years, and it did an excellent job...smooth on top, with excellent bass control, punch, definition, and extension.

Or if you can be patient, look for a Forte Model 3 or Model 6. Forte was a 'budget' line made by Threshold, but there's nothing budget about the design, components or build of these amps. The Model 3 was designed by Nelson Pass, the Model 6 by Jon Soderburg (IIRC). I've got two Model 3's bi-amping my RS-IIb's, and a Model 6 driving a pair of RS-IIIb's.
 
I am now running my RSIIIa speakers with an Adcom GFA-555 amp and a PS Audio 4.6 preamp. I am hoping to stay satisfied thru the winter with this set-up and that the upgrade bug doesn't hit. Had a flu shot, but that probably won't help.
 
After listening and comparing the PS Audio to the Hafler, I think the PS has made the Infinitys softer. The tweeters are not so in your face and are much easier to listen to for prolonged time. It seems there is a better soundstage, and the phono stage is definitely better than the Hafler.

The PS has a switch to change it to a passive preamp, but I think I like it better with the amplification. All in all, quite satisfied with this preamp.

M Beigh
 
Back
Top Bottom