• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

What Amp? Sansui AU 517 or NAD 3031

aedaza

Active Member
Hi all

Wanting to make a secondary SS system. What amp would you recommend? Sansui AU 517 or NAD 3130? Those two are available nearby. I already have a tube based system but want to have a more flexible option in terms of genre capabilities and speakers matching. What do you guys think?
 
Register to hide this ad
You will get soem differing opinions on this - but IMO I would probably prefer the NAD.

Its a bit of a generalisation - but they have a warmer sound. I had a 517 and didnt like the sound of it much. A bit thin to my ears.
 
I have the NAD 3031 and it's pretty nice, good sound. Not to sure about the Sansui but going around the
the Hi-Fi stores back in the 80's the ones who carried them they were highly regarded.
 
This is a very subjective, personal opinion: I respect NAD and owned one many years ago. I have also owned a couple of Sansui integrated amps. In addition, the technician I go to when I can't solve a problem was a Sansui engineer. On his bench I've seen Sansui amps shipped in from all over Japan. Sansui owners just want to keep these older amps alive and in good health — won't let them go

My feeling is that Sansui amps have something distinctive about them. They are built very nicely, and they just have a distinctive sound. Sansui started out as makers of transformers, and perhaps with no justification, I always thought therein lay a difference. They knew how to build power supplies. Like the defunct Nakamichi, they — Sansui —were different. Jump in and see what you think.

As for NAD .... nothing laid back about them, and if you like rock, metal and stuff the NAD may be your baby. If you get excited by Swan Lake, muse over Shostakovic and are moved by Mahler's 5th, I'd check out the Sansui.

Just my friendly 2 cents worth — with nothing objective to give you.
 
I would cast a vote for the Sansui for sure. I recapped, replaced fusibles and some transistors on a AU-417 a while back and it sounded terrific to my ears.
 
I assume by now OP has made a decision. Been waiting for someone to mention the dreaded glue. I would want the AU-517 but only if it has been reconditioned. Glue removed, fixed and recapped. Costs more but worth it.
 
Hi guys
Thank you for your replies. Already pulled the trigger on a NAD 3130. My rationale was basically that I listen more to rock music, which seems to be more suited to the NAD amp (have not compare them.. don't take my word), components could be less deteriorated, as the amp is aprox 10 years younger, and finally, the NAD has better capability driving low ohm speakers..... And it was cheaper. Ha!
Now the next steps are; recapping. Do you guys now where I could get maybe a BOM on the caps required?
And speakers; what speakers would you recommend on your experience to mate the NAD?
Thanks all
 
If you really were thinking about having to re-cap either amp, I'd have chosen the Sansui. Anyway, I found one company that sells a kit comprising 44 replacement electrolytic capacitors in three series for about US$40 (plus shipping I guess). They are all made by Nichicon, and are good caps IMHO. They probably have better specs than the originals. I think Hi-Fi Engine has a repair manual for the 3130, and if it doesn't, one cannot be too difficult to obtain. Perhaps the kit comes with one — I dunno. Of course, you don't need the kit; the repair manual will list all of them and define them by type. Then just go shopping!

As for speakers, you might want to look for something that is fairly efficient, cuz you will not be pumping out 100 Watts. Research what "efficiency" means in speakers, and then make a short-list based on what size and price you are aiming for.
 
Last edited:
If you really were thinking about having to re-cap either amp, I'd have chosen the Sansui. Anyway, I found one company that sells a kit comprising 44 replacement electrolytic capacitors in three series for about US$40 (plus shipping I guess). They are all made by Nichicon, and are good caps IMHO. They probably have better specs than the originals. I think Hi-Fi Engine has a repair manual for the 3130, and if it doesn't, one cannot be too difficult to obtain. Perhaps the kit comes with one — I dunno. Of course, you don't need the kit; the repair manual will list all of them and define them by type. Then just go shopping!

As for speakers, you might want to look for something that is fairly efficient, cuz you will not be pumping out 100 Watts. Research what "efficiency" means in speakers, and then make a short-list based on what size and price you are aiming for.
Thanks Lorne. What is the website you know that sell the recap kits?
Tested today the amp with my high efficiency speakers, a BK 16 kit from Madisound, and my much less efficient energy c300 tower speakers. Very different sounding.. so far, a better match with the BK 16 based on Fostex drivers plus a supert
 
Fostex drivers are used a lot here in Japan by discerning people who use lower powered tube amps. I think you are on the right track.

As for the website you asked about: I have no affiliation, no purchasing experience and no feedback ... but here you are:

https://www.audio-high-store.com/product/nad-3130-upgrade-kit-audio-capacitors/

If this is your first recap, I'd pull and replace one cap at a time. Some people use a very small pair of wire cutters and cut the cap free, if there is room to get underneath ... then remove the remaining wire with minimal heat. Again, if you are new to this, every five caps or so remove all tools and your hands, power up and see if everything works. If you have a bad joint, it may show up. Find soldering tutorials on the net, and have a schematic in front of you. Marking the tops of caps with a sharpie can help you keep track of where you've been on the board, and where you are going. For novices, it's recommended that you buy a cheap board and a hand-full of inexpensive caps and practice until you get nicely shaped, shiny joints after using just the right amount of heat.

Good luck, and let us know what happens.
 
Hi all!
Just doing some follow-up on my findings. So we'll.. I bought initially the NAD 3130,, great amp! Then I recapped it, even better!! Bought a pair of KEF LS50s and thought that they could use more power than what is available by the NAD 30 watts,,,, so,,, I ended buying a Sansui AU D11!
I'm doing some critical listening and so far I find that the Sansui has balsier bass and notes seem to be more clearly defined, but I find the NAD having a bit better performance in the highs and a somewhat wider soundstage. Honestly I was expecting the Sansui with it's 120 watts to kick out the NAD, but not exactly!
To be fair, the NAD was recapped and using only as power amp as I am using a Yamaha C80 as pre for both amps, so my question now is, should I recap the Sansui too before final conclusions? Hmmm what do you guys think?
 
And btw, the Sansui is completely original AFAIK. I just did the DC offset tune and the bias. I have not done the other equalizer adjustments suggested by the service manual (center DC and servo DC). Don't know what effect those might have.
Worth saying too that I wish the NAD had a speaker relay as the Sansui..
 
If I read your post above correctly, you are using a Yamaha C80 as a Pre-amp for both the NAD and Sansui - if so, have you listened to both amp's by just plugging in your audio sources directly? - any good?

After you adjusted the DC-offset and Bias, did you hear any audible difference? - If the AU-D11 is completely all original, then it is probably overdue for a refurb / recap etc


 
Hi AUD101!
Yes, I'm using my Yamaha C80 as pre for both. In the NAD through the preamp in and in the Sansui into the Aux in.
I also connected my DAC directly, which worked fine for the Sansui, but not into the NAD aux in as I am using the NAD as power amp.
After adjusting the DC Offset and bias, yes, I heard an increase in clarity. It was way off. I think a recap will be the next step
 
Hi All,
Doing some follow-up. I just did a full recap on the Sansui AU D11. Marvelous!!! Both are now recapped and I have now my Sansui as the main amp for my LS50s and KLH Model 6. Figure this; with the NAD, I was using the KEFs LS50s with the port plug, to tame and control bass. With the Sansui, the KEFs gained a lot of control over the bass, and I know enjoy the KEFs without the port plug. Not expected! The Sansui gained a lot in the bass and control, as well as some pretty effortless highs. Really proud of it now! Lesson learned; compare amps after being properly recapped and services.
 
Sansui. Better built, a lot more power. NAD 3150 would be a closer match at 50 wpc.
Agreed…I had a re capped & serviced AU517 and liked it , plenty of power & bass, but very heavy….maybe #30….Now have a NAD 3150 / mint condition & it is also excellent sound & much lighter….approx #23
 
Back
Top Bottom