• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

what amp should be powering my Paradigm 7se Mk3 ?

Great to hear, let me know how this works out. Just so you know, this may lead to other expenditures of money for more........? :)
 
Roadrunnerx: I could see this becoming addictive. I am hoping to curb the desire, but man if there was a R117 for an incredible price, how do you say no?
Thanks for your input as well. I really felt pretty comfortable with both purchases. Time will tell. I will also let you know what I think of the R115. They say once you've gone black...
 
twodogs, that is a great heads up. When I listened to them, I thought the tweeters sounded very nice, but I will monitor them. The violins in Vivaldi's Four Seasons were amazing, but we will see how I feel after setting it up at home.
Cheers.
 
Tweeters on old Paradigms will likely fail. My brother has a set of Monitor 7s along with a center channel speaker. There weren't abused in any way, but the tweeter coils separated from the diaphrams. I replaced the diaphram/coil assemblies and the ferrofluid for a little more than $20 per speaker. Good as new.

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/89-sp...e-guide-replacing-paradigm-tweeter-diaphragms.


.I'm guessing but.... I do not think the 7semk3's use the same tweeter as the monitor 7's. But if they do, please correct me and give me the info.
My tweeters have been fine. Monitor 7's had many series and I am not sure which one you are talking about so I cannot match. Early series may have
shared, just do not know.
Thanks in advance.
 
I'm no expert on all these models (there were many). I just wanted to point out that the problem doesn't require expensive driver replacement (and potential mismatch with the crossover or other tone alterations). The problem seems pretty widespread and affected more than one model. The link I posted shows pictures of different model speakers and tweeters. Looks like my link might not work - just google "picture guide to replacing paradigm tweeter diaphragms"
tweeter.jpg
paradigm.jpg
 
Last edited:
Hi folks, I have finally cleared out my old surround sound system and replaced it with the new/old Luxman R115, the Paradigm 7 SE Mrk IIIs, and an antiquated Sony CD player. All I can say is.... WOW, Zero regrets.
And yes, I'm afraid I'm a bit hooked. I have just now heard of this DAC phenomenon. I am starting to look around and am wondering are you better off running a CD player with a well respected DAC (really not sure what that means), or simply getting a good stand alone DAC -those puppies ain't cheap?
Anyway, considering how this system sounds and looks, I am in no particular rush at this juncture.
Honestly, I would not have gone forward without all your good advise. Cheers.
 
I also have not went down the DAC road yet. Have been fortunate to pick up some nice CD and high line DVD SACD players and enjoy them.
Still don't have any SACD's but they are great sounding players.
And CD and DVD players do sound different by year or brand or price line with better chip set, etc. Just FYI.
 
I'm no expert on all these models (there were many). I just wanted to point out that the problem doesn't require expensive driver replacement (and potential mismatch with the crossover or other tone alterations). The problem seems pretty widespread and affected more than one model. The link I posted shows pictures of different model speakers and tweeters. Looks like my link might not work - just google "picture guide to replacing paradigm tweeter diaphragms"
View attachment 1152499
View attachment 1152501

Just wanted to say thanks for your reply. Wonder if they bad batched some or assembly error.
I do have 1 Paradigm Titan that the woofer spider let go on due to weak gluing.
 
I am hearing pretty nice things about the Onkyo C7030 CD player. The price point is pretty darn reasonable. Still, I am in no rush, and if something sweet and cheap beckons, I might just give a go. I could also pick up a Magnavox CDB 262 which seems to get good reviews because it has the philips 1534a DAC and a swing arm laser transport, and no, I wasn't just writing in Greek. Let the games begin!
 
Also meant to mention the R115 Luxman seems to have no problem sparking up those Paradigms -they just sparkle. Very classic warm Luxman sound -or so it seems to me. I don't think I'll ever get near 1/2 volume. Old ears get sensitive and brittle.
 
All my players are older. Craigslist or thrift stores and occasionally yard sales.
My newest player is 10 years old, and was 2100 retail. (Marantz DV9600) Very detailed. I got it for 100 several years ago.
I do not know how the newer players sound. I'm still enjoying the chase of top and mid line audio from years back on discount.
So many players are just in need of a drive belt, but are discarded.
 
That is good to know. I am in no hurry, so I can definitely swing for the fences. Sounds like you got a steal. Most of the older CD players locally seem to be over valued, but that is definitely in the eye of the buyer -me!
 
Back
Top Bottom