• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

What are the most common misspellings in audio???

Tonto Yoder

Former member
I was just reviewing an old thread where J.A. Michell's name was misspelled by two of the three members who used it (i.e. "Mitchell" instead of the correct "Michell"). This seems very common though still inexcusable.

Another common problem is with integrated amps, often misspelled as "inteRgrated."

Must be others, but these are the two pet peeves that come to mind.
TY
 
Register to hide this ad
The one that gets me going the most is writing "dampen" for "damp" and "dampening" for "damping." Example, someone writes, "I put an inch of cork under my amp to dampen the vibrations." Or, "put more fiberfill in your speaker to increase the dampening." It's as if people learned this stuff by watching the errors of Voyager. Torres would say, "I can create a dampening field, but it will only last 30 seconds."
 
Ive been guilty of the integrated vs intergrated before ; )

Then again Im still not sure if its Mono BlocKs or Mono Blocs ( I would think with the K but Ive seen it on Cary's website w/o the K)

Tim
 
My pet peeve is cd's instead of cds.I asked a store owner once what his cds owned.

opt
 
Re: " CD's "

On the face of it this appears to be yet another misuse of the poor apostrophe but it's usage here is quite legitimate.

According to the Oxford Modern English dictionary, the apostrophe is a punctuation mark used to indicate:

1. the omission of letters or numbers (eg. can't, 1 jan '92)

2. the possessive case (eg. Harry's book)




Regards.
 
Used to annoy the hell out of me when people used to call Atari games, "tapes":mad:

Like the people couldn't understand that they were DIFFERENT than the 8-track! :rolleyes:
 
Opt and Michael,
Use of cd's is OK in my book since the apostrophe CAN be used as a plural in certain circumstances. "Mind your p's and q's" must have been in some grammar book and still hides in some recess in my brain. I'll admit I don't know what a "p" or a "q" actually IS, so I'll have difficulty minding them.

www.grammarbook had this example:
"Rule 9. Using an apostrophe to show plurals of numbers, letters, and figures is optional.

Examples She consulted with three M.D.’s. OR She consulted with three M.D.s.
She went to three M.D.s’ offices. (plural possessive)"

Of course, many people use apostrophes to indicate all plurals. Drives me crazy.

Tonto Yoder
White man speak with forked tongue
 
There are several misspellings that I have seen, and were mentioned here recently:

Pionner instead of Pioneer
reciever instead of receiver
Macintosh instead of McIntosh

Bose instead of Blose :D:D:D

Chris
 
Yea,Tonto that is what I was getting at,some people use it for plural constantly, for instance my office is Drs.Beer,Hickey and Associates.We get Dr's Beer,Hickey....... Wow now i'm confused,
do you think both are right?I may not be the white man with forked tongue,but I am a confused one(LOL)

Anyway,I am getting away from the subject.

Regards
opt
 
Opt,
Yep, that's what I learned--both are correct . Sometimes, though, even correct punctuation LOOKS goofy.
BTW, Beer, hickey and associates sounds more like a fun weekend than a medical office.

TY
 
Thanks TY

Yes,we have accused of having too good a time,actually we are an optometric office,so i tend to make a spectacle of myself a lot

By the way I read the thread about how you got your moniker,
great comeback!!

Take care

opt80
 
Originally posted by millerdog
I had thread on this awhile back. My pet peeve is "harmon kardon."
md

... could be worse... it could be karman hardon

... nevermind, my posts usually are a LITTLE more coherent after some coffee..
 
1) "moniter" instead of "monitor"

2) "planer" instead of "planar"

3) "vaccum tube" instead of "vacuum tube"

4) "Peter Aczel" instead of "tin-eared ...", er, never mind!
 
Originally posted by millerdog
I had thread on this awhile back. My pet peeve is "harmon kardon."
md

OUCH ! :eek:

BUSTED ! :rolleyes:

I have seen the errors of my ways and will strive to improve my Engrish. :D
 
Brian,
Yeah, "planer" is one that I should've thought of; I've seen that alot.


Wardsweb,
technically, you're incorrect out of the starting gate. We're changing your moniker to "Ward's Web" or "Wards' Web.":)
TY
 
There's one company that does it all the time: Classik, Basik, Majik, Klimax to name a few! :p: The on rare occasions they'll spell it correctly like Index instead of Indeks. :confused:

Something that does annoy me is when it's called Pro-Ject instead of just Project. Aything to be different, eh?

:)

Jack
 
Back
Top Bottom