• Please note that Audiokarma will be offline briefly for updates early on Monday morning, September 28th.

What are you listening to right now and on what speakers

Thelonious Monk - Monk's Music

IMG_8009.jpg
 
Gawd all you maniacs are keeping me young -- I can't keep up, but I appreciate the steers (esp links!). It's fun to watch everyone go, but sometimes it's taxing : ) It's informative as can-be. Seems many of you are familiar w/ e/o but I confess that I don't always visit this thread often-enough to know.

I don't live in "TheCity" anymore where I can just go out "amongst 'em", and no-longer have young people anywhere near. I think my youngest friend just turned 60... Being old is cool in the sense that tolerance arrives in time for appreciation if things (health) go right -- and appreciation of every possible genre. Really. It's not all bad, honest.

This thread, of-course, is entirely insane. Rapid-fire/machine-gun--stick-and-move. Last week, I wondered if we are not hammering Grump and Mrs. Grump with the bandwidth or how that works. Not a sysadm geek wrt any of that and no-clue. I very-much wish not-to do them poorly for they have stewarded a remarkable environment for a an unlabelable collection of humanity to...to Be, to grow, to find e/o. If my posts have done-so, I wish to apologize. But it used to be hard (remember madisound BBS?) to find e/o.

I am not well and have not so much been-so for quite a long while (degen nerv thing for which there aren't answers). This is where old-people + crazy-talk merge -- at that...place. I actually wish everyone might feel the liberty available that comes with such (but well before they get there). At least I wish I would've been smart enough to see it (it was sitting right there, all the time). So I didn't mean to mention it but I find myself at this thread and needing an explanation for what follows so why not open the vein for My People :).

See--I'm having fun :) This doesn't happen so much/often, lately. I think it's in the spirit of the thread w/o being the right content for the thread (ie, not big rig). Requires a mini-rewind.

In dotage, spend most of my time in a bedroom where the computer is, anymore. The other day, in the way that links work, I find myself on YT tripping over Neil Young "Cortez the Killer" versions. Been on a "Cortez" jag for a few days. Neil's been playing this song since 1975, basically, and there are eleventy-dozen live versions -- and every one is different. But the desktop died and now I'm on a laptop but still on the trail. Crap (been a while since living on a laptop--like 15 years). I can't take that tinny laptop speaker, right? Umkay, quick grab cable + amp (had measurement mic box/setup w/ Lepai amp sitting in kitchen bec I never put them away (cough)), so, voila! Found Cerwins in basement -- these things haven't had signal in years and years! Bada-boom! Clearly ordained from the AEther. And yes of-course they have intolerable warts and blah-blah -- not the point -- but I am having Big-Fun! That was a couple of days ago. I have acclimated to all the warts and went quickly back to pounding versions of Cortez.

I didn't mean to. I think I have maybe 5 albums downstairs that have that song (and that's where the rig is). I don't "live" down there, as it turns-out, in this (different) house, but that's the best (biggest) room that those speakers need. But back to the point of the Cortez jag:

It's just, out in webville, there are 7.some minute (studio, mostly) versions, on up. Acoustic. 12-string. Movie soundtrack. Doesn't stop. Check it out, yourself if you're remotely open to the experience ( I know NY is polarizing -- and I'm 50% w/ everyone). Some are clunkers, recording-wise, but YT is full of stuff. Wayback. Everywhere. Not quite "Dead-esque", that-way, but, after a 60+ year career (and still going if not accelerating!), it's crazy. It really is. I found a friggin' 22-minute version and word has it that there's one that's longer.

And I didn't know this, but somehow, it's like solo #36 of the top 100 solos. So of-course I had to go hear that and the commentary on YT (good playlist -- that whole top-100 solos, BTW). Lost maybe another day, maybe 2, on interviews w/ Neil, etc.

Again, I know Neil is love/hate. But, to the (actual) point -- do what ya can w/ anything and music can still be moving. I did this. Out-loud, and before the world. It made fun (adn I didn't have to think!) And I'm not apologizing :)

Thanks to all for the patience, the tolerance, and the generosity. Sincerely. I love this place. Every single person I've interacted with here, save one (whose only question was "Value?" to anything/everything!!), has been a gem. And please, I really don't expect anything in re health (esp / expressly request __NO__ comments -- it just seemed that only reality would justify the screed). Turns-out, the real point of this post is a YT link

: |

cough.

sigh.

PS "fattest" version -- just find 11 on the knob and take a seat



In case you guys didn't notice, I kinda like this song.

And all of you maniacs. Mum's the word.

Thing I might not've said was that I mostly listen to classical music outta corner horns (and for years).
But, well, yunno...
 
Last edited:
find myself on YT tripping over Neil Young "Cortez the Killer" versions. Been on a "Cortez" jag for a few days. Neil's been playing this song since 1975, basically, and there are eleventy-dozen live versions

I'm a huge Neil Young fan also. My favorite song is one of two, either Cortez the Killer or Broken Arrow. I have dozens and dozens of Neil Young live show recordings. I did a quick search of my server and I have 28 Cortez The Killers by Neil Young. And then a few more covers by other artists.
 
Back
Top Bottom