• Please note that Audiokarma will be offline briefly for updates early on Monday morning, September 28th.

What are you recording right now?

Angry Possum

Well-Known Member
What are you recording right now? I'm recording these 2 albums right now, from LP to Cassette. UFO Obsessions and Foghat Live. On a TDK D90 Tape. Sony Deck TC K555 with an SL1200 MK2 Turntable. Ortofon Omega Stylus and Cart combo. Old Fisher EQ, in recording mode. I'm trying the Normal Bias to see the sound quality. Not half bad I must say. What says you?

20200424_115416.jpg
 
Register to hide this ad
Dubbing down loads from the internet and making CD copies considered recording? I do have a CD recorder I use to dub with taking analog signals and storing them on CD. You get a totally different sound than buying ADD reissued CD's that are so compromised. Its not the digital idea that bothers me its the execution most of the time that turns me off. I mean LP's can be and are sometimes so imperfect and poorly manufactured that when I find one I automatically toss them. I have a LP of the Doobie brothers that just irritates me. The first band, or selection is horrible with the vocals being over whelmed by instruments and the voices being so muffled. The rest of the album is great. Clear clean intelligible voices with well balanced accompaniment . I just don't get it.
 
How appropriate, I am currently recording the radio program called Cafe Latino that broadcast every Saturday afternoon from 4-6pm. It has been awhile since my last taping of this program due to work related activities but this Covid-19 staying home does give me some free time to do some. A silver lining to this pandemic black cloud. LOL!
 
Here is my latest mixtape: Side A: Side A: Dance On a Real Train. Side B: Freestyle mix

index.php


BTW, have anyone noticed that YouTube now shows sub-tracks in a continuous mix? Pretty cool.

youtube-track-splitting.jpg
 
Last edited:
You know with a modern DAC and the right cables you can record anything you can hear or see on your computer to be stored permanently on a disc. Even if you don't have a computer disc drive. 4K can be an issue but if you got the coin it can be done. Shh! I recorded some music of You tube the other day just for the fun of it. It. was MP3, yuk, but for casual listening its OK.
 
You know with a modern DAC and the right cables you can record anything you can hear or see on your computer to be stored permanently on a disc. Even if you don't have a computer disc drive. 4K can be an issue but if you got the coin it can be done. Shh! I recorded some music of You tube the other day just for the fun of it. It. was MP3, yuk, but for casual listening its OK.

youtube-save3.jpg
 
Last edited:
Meh, think i will record only built 4 cuban linx onto a cassette so I can take a lil trip back to a time when I had the og purple cassette.
 
Bob Dylan's Greatest Hits. I have the LP, but it's got a lot of surface noise.
I'm recording from Amazon --> FiiO Alpen 2 E17K DAC --> Tandberg 10XD.
I would normally run the DAC into a Luxman R-115 --> ADC Soundshaper (by passed) --> Tandberg 10XD.
I think I'm getting better SQ going direct from the DAC to the R-T-R.
IMGP5751.JPG
 
Dubbing a few RTR tapes to cassette just for the hell of it — sounds pretty good to be honest. Using some good old NOS Maxell XL II 90 tapes that I’ve cracked open for the occasion; no point in having tapes if ya aren’t gonna use them. :thumbsup:

4CD57764-C967-43E1-B78D-BF93793FE8A9.jpeg
 
I've been doing some sound quality testing recording on a Tascam 424 II cassette at 3 3/8 ips with dbx. Using Sony type II tape the playback isn't perfect but it's pretty good. I tested with Donovan's "Jennifer Juniper" for no particular reason.
 
Got 3 albums for my son in law for Christmas
George Benson Weekend in London
Colin James Miles to Go
Hound Dog Taylor and the House Rockers
First order of business was to borrow them in order to make copies with my R2R. Great way to spend Christmas Day
 
The Best of Blondie - I've given up on finding the LP.
IMGP1181.JPG

I took the Tandberg 10XD out of rotation after finally 'fixing' the Teac A-2300SD. I bought the Teac in an AmVets 2 years ago. The pinch roll bushing was gunked-up but everything else worked except it would not record on the left channel. Traced it down to a bad transistor on the record amp board with some help from people over on TapeHeads. Never got around to ordering a replacement. Yesterday I was looking at the SM and discovered the same transistors are on the MIC amp circuit, so I stole one and replaced the bad one. I'll never record with a MIC anyhow. Went through the SM electrical adjustments that can be done with a DMM and tweaked a few things. This is my first recording with the A-2300SD. Sounds pretty good so far. The A-2300SD has two positions for Bias and EQ. The manual has some guidance for recommended settings based on Tape type, unfortunately some of my blank tapes aren't listed. This may take some research and trial/error to sort out the best settings.
 
Traffic Mr. Fantasy and Self Titled on a Teac A-2300SD, unknown Scotch Tape. Source: free version of Spotify. The free version of Spotify gives me better results than Amazon Prime Music.
This reel of tape exhibited brown shed, made quite a mess of my heads. I tried the tape cleaning method from the Tapeheads website. I don't have any of the Nu Finish wax, but tried some turtle wax that I have on hand.
IMGP1184.JPG
 
So I've got this 46-minute cassette with lovely big hubs begging to fill it with fresh stuff.

sony-hf-s46.jpg


I looked around and found this soundcheck session at WNYC with Kimbra back from 2012, such an oldie. You can even download it. It is for side A.

kimbra1EDIT.jpg


For side B I chose a fresh session at KEXP with Roosvelt.


It came out very nice. About 15 s left on side A, and about 25 s left on side B.
 
AKUS

This recording blows away my Ampex pre-recorded tapes. A master vinyl recording recorded at 7.5 IPS on my R2R and now I am listening to this tape using the SQ decoder on my Quad receiver to create a four channel surround sound. I’m going the right direction.
 

Attachments

  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 5
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    110.4 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom