• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

What capacitor is this?

HiFi-Stereo

Active Member
Working on a 1960 Zenith console with a reverb tank and small amp connected...
model 3f23 chassis...
Has this giant black capacitor with only one red stripe, anyone know the value? Voltage?
Console is a Zenith sff2585h
Thanks for any help!
 
Register to hide this ad
got a schematic? Seems to me it can't be a cap but I don't know what it would be. The lack of markings don't make sense to me unless its got numbers printed on it where you can't see and the stripe is marking the outer foil.
 
I've seen caps like that. It's likely that the info is on the bottom, so I would just take it out and see. If it's the brand of cap I'm thinking of, they're usually fine and can just be left in
 
Good call!! Thanks fellows:
I didn’t even think it would be marked underneath... turns out to be a Sprague
1.0 400v.
Strange value... something for the reverb tank perhaps?

Do I need to replace it? It measures correct on the multi meter.
 

Attachments

  • 28CA88D7-8E07-46C1-92F9-A7315900CD6E.jpeg
    28CA88D7-8E07-46C1-92F9-A7315900CD6E.jpeg
    63 KB · Views: 15
DC leakage would be the main concern, but if you don't have a way to test that, it's your call. Those are molded caps and likely still fine. But someone else will tell you to replace it because it's old and not worth the risk.
 
I believe these are the DiFilm mylar black beauty caps. If thats the case, its probably fine but it should be tested at full working voltage to confirm it doesn't leak.
 
You's think they would mount it with the information visible. That's how I install my capacitors.
You are building with an eye to what you are doing that one was a Monday morning build and the original buyer was lucky the cap was soldering in on both ends. It was built to work and sell not for us to be able to rebuild it years later.
 
My '53 Philco TV had several things that never saw solder. I found them when I re-capped it. Considering how buried those parts were and how dense TV chassis are, I'm amazed it was only a few terminals.
 
Back
Top Bottom