• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

What DBX unit was used with TTs

J B S

New Member
What DBX unit was used to eliminate the hiss, clicks, and pops from records. I recall way, way back, through the fog and adult beverages something called a Click and Pop Assassin. I don’t find anything like that name associated with DBX.
 
Register to hide this ad
Sorry don't recall a dbx with hiss and pop suppression, just one that played LP's encoded for greater dynamic range with dbx. I thought someone else made the assassin...maybe SAE?
 
Click and Pop Assassin sounds like the type of product name Drew Kaplan would dream up to promote a product. I'll bet it was a BSR or ADC product sold by DAK. SAE offered a Model 5000 Impulse Noise Reduction Unit that worked to reduce clicks and pops from damaged or dirty records. ChairSpud's recollection of the dBx decoder unit matches mine.
 
The ones that come to mind are the Kenwood K F-8011 and a Phase Linear unit. I don't remember anything from DBX.
 
DBX NR on discs only worked with dbx encoded LP discs. No others. Many dbx NR units had a dbx disc position on them. For normal LP discs, you have the Burwen Noise Eliminator or the KLH Unit.
 
At one time I had a dbx 224 that encoded/decoded vinyl and tape, but it did not remove pops and clicks. I still have an SAE 5000 impulse noise reducer (actually two) that does the latter quite well.
 
Last edited:
I still have a dbx 224 that processes dbx discs and also can be used for tape recordings.

I think I have one or two dbx discs...lol
 
IIR I think Garrard had some sort of "click and Pop" unit with an odd name. I think the Burwen/KLH unit is the better of what was available. I still have my 2 units along with 2 Burwen "hiss" machines. The DBX SNR-1/DAK-1 are very similar in function to the Burwens. The DBX did IMOP have nicer aesthetics. Yea I got 2 of those too. Can you say Horder?:yes::D DBX never produced anything specifically for "clicks and pops".
 
Thanks everyone. I have discovered that most of the stuff I always wanted for my system 35 years ago can now be found on flea bay for pennies on the dollar if one takes his time.
 
IIR I think Garrard had some sort of "click and Pop" unit with an odd name. I think the Burwen/KLH unit is the better of what was available. I still have my 2 units along with 2 Burwen "hiss" machines. The DBX SNR-1/DAK-1 are very similar in function to the Burwens. The DBX did IMOP have nicer aesthetics. Yea I got 2 of those too. Can you say Horder?:yes::D DBX never produced anything specifically for "clicks and pops".

The Garrard unit was called an MRM-101 Music Recovery Module. It was an MM-level phono preamp with the click and pop reduction circuitry built in. I have one in the basement, resting peacefully in my queue of components to be repaired or scrapped. :tears:
 
There was also the more recent Marantz SX-72, dating from the early 1990s. Rather a good unit by all accounts.
 
Back
Top Bottom