• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

What did you enjoy on the 4th?

toxcrusadr

Omelette au Fromage
Subscriber
The other fireworks thread having gone south, I just wanted to share that I have been mighty pleased to enjoy the Sesquicentennial (that's 150 for you rednecks) of my wife's small town here in NE (West Point, north of Omaha) yesterday and today. This town is like stepping back in time to traditional Americana. Today there was a parade with lots of old tractors, fire engines, the works. One guy driving a '40 Ford crapped out right in front of me. I could hear the starter grinding and knew he was gonna hold up the parade so I jumped up and started pushing. Three other guys joined in and we got him moving fast enough that he popped the clutch and took off! We got an ovation for pushing. :yes: That was really fun.

My FIL was in the beard contest - it's a very German town here so that was fun. The grand winner was an 80+ year old WWII vet. I think he got extra points but he did have a cool beard. Tons of other activities going on all over and there is always good food down at the park.

There was a great (official) fireworks show last night - BTW my FIL has a license to get the Real Stuff and I got to help light em off once. :thmbsp:
Second show tonight! We're eating eye of round sandwiches and chips for supper.

A happy 4th to all. What're y'all doing this weekend?
 
Register to hide this ad
Well, I worked from12 pm on Friday, Till 5 pm tonight, straight through. My big holiday thrill was getting paid cash, and getting to go home! O ya, the Chinese take out for dinner was nice as well! :D

Hope the rest of you guys enjoyed the BBQ's and fireworks! :banana:
 
I just stayed home working on my models.:thmbsp:

Another day off is just another reason to pull an "all-nighter".


Russ
 
Well we didn't get to the 10 pm fireworks show. The tornado sirens went off, but the weather was fine, altho there had been a tornado not to far from here in Valentine NE this afternoon. People started saying it must be a fire. Ambrose (my father in law) came running out with his shoes and said he got a call that it was at the bean plant. HIS bean plant. He owns this soybean processing plant that makes hi protein and high fat cattle feeds. So he went speeding off then we watched the entire volunteer fire dept. one by one go flying down the highway. This town is 3600 pop. and I guess when the alarm goes off everybody rolls.

It turned out to be a fire in an outdoor flax oil tank, no idea how it started. The plant was shut down for the holiday weekend so nobody was hurt. The heat was coming through the metal building wall and making smoke inside, so they cut holes in the building to air it out and cool it. To blow out the smoke, someone brought (get this) an air boat, parked it in the doorway and fired it up. Apparently everyone has em around here to run the shallow Elkhorn River.

Anyway, the 10 pm fireworks show was late because the guys shooting the fireworks are all, well, you know, volunteer firefighters. Duh. We didn't end up going because of all the hullabaloo but you can see em pretty good from the front yard, it was actually pretty impressive. They had 12 and 16 inch shells! Kawhump.

Guess we'll go out to the plant in the morning and see what happened. Guarantee it'll be a greasy mess.
 
Last edited:
Friday and Saturday were regular work days for me. Numbers 9 and 10 since last day off-this is the busy season at work. I'm taking Sunday and Monday off now.
The only fireworks I heard were the one my neighbors were setting off while I was trying to get to sleep.
I'd say my highlight was listening to a few LPs in the evenings-Van Morrison's Moondance, and an early 60's pressing of the Boston S.O. performing Beethoven's Eroica.
 
Good clean fun and good food!

My wife's family always has a 4th of July get-together at Lake Greenwood SC.

One of her cousins does the cooking of the Boston Butts and ribs on his large smoker. At least one of the others always has a nice fast boat. Along with the homemade potato salad and other favorites, it's a pretty tasty spread.

Later there's always pulling the big tube around for the young folks and skiing for those who are able and willing. I rode in the boat while they were pulling the tube and even though it was pretty warm out, it was real nice in the boat.

We headed back (a 2 hour trip) about 7pm and when we got back, found that we had rain earlier, about 1.25 inches! (much needed).

Pretty good day.:yes:
 
p7040003ib1.jpg


Music, smoked spare-ribs, helles lager, corn on the cob, watermelon.

Did I miss anything?

Oh yeah, the hard fought freedom to irritate a lot of folks without getting arrested by the Thought Police (yet).
 
One of the high points of the weekend was listening to a new CD I picked up: Anthony Gomes Live. This baby rocks from beginning to end. Highly recommended.
 
I tried to enjoy the beach but it's not really the place for a shy guy like me. It did have it's moments. I could have done without the sandstorm,sunburn,dehydration and nasty portapottys.
a021.jpg
 
I tried to enjoy the beach but it's not really the place for a shy guy like me. It did have it's moments. I could have done without the sandstorm,sunburn,dehydration and nasty portapottys.
a021.jpg

You need more practise being bad! 1st git those hands outta of your pockets!


We were set to have a small gathering, a BBQ, checkout some fireworks and a movie later. Until my daughter tells me she invited "some" friends. Well "some" in teenage language turns out to be 24. I worked like a slave! But it was good fun. The kids played in the pool, had a bonfire and roasted marshmellows and made smores. I just prayed the house would still be standing after we got home from the movie.
 
Not much. I worked a 17 hour day followed on Saturday with a work day that started at 9am and ended at 4am on Sunday. Not much to celebrate except all the overtime and after the first 12 hours the money doesn't matter much either. Happy 4th of July anyway.
 
Went (by boat) to a buddy's place on "The Island". We grilled burgers and hotdogs to keep it simple, ate 'tater salad, and snacked on chips, cookies, etc.

Shot the 500 S&W a couple times, then drank beer and Vodka, later we watched the teenage boys have fun lighting off fireworks.

I slept in on Saturday...until 10:30AM...which is a very rare occurance for me.
 
Thanks to my brother-in-law, went to a big shin-dig at a park in Friendswood, TX that I didn't know existed previously where Asleep At The Wheel was playing, then watched a tremendous fireworks show from close up! The bombs were blasting right at us! It was amazing.
 
I went home and saw the fireworks. Every year the City of Monterey has a pretty nice fireworks display. The good news for me is that my wife and I can view it from the deck of our home. :yes:
 
Back
Top Bottom