• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

What did you listen to during disco's peak years ('74-'78)

finnbow

The Dude Abides
I'm curious what type of music you gents listened to during the musical wasteland of the disco years. For the most part, rock was on a hiatus (except southern rock) and punk wasn't yet on the scene. For me, it was mostly Dylan and Jazz. Luckily, I never fell under disco's spell. :no:
 
Register to hide this ad
Nice Post.

I was listening to British Rock, like Queen, Slade, Bowie, Led Zep etc., and also was being exposed to American Rock, like Jackson Browne, Aerosmith etc, and then I was later mesmerized by bands like Boston, Kansas, Styx etc, as my classic rock continued.

Up to today I continue to listen to my Classic Rock, but also Jazz, Punk, African, Cadance, Reggae, New Wave, Indian and any music I can latch my ears onto.

PS this is by no means a complete list, I will add later.

Cheers
 
I remember listening to bands like Queen, McCartney, Doobies, America, Bowie.. and yes.. I even learned to Do The Hustle in school..
 
Um, disco.

Boney M ~ Night Flight To Venus Atlantic 1978 KSD 50498

Just bought a NM copy two months ago. Can I still keep my Doc Martins?
 
That's exactly when I was an audio newbe. My favs at the time were

Cat Stevens
John Prine
Loggins & Messina
Seals & Croft
Chicago
Billy Joel
America
Simon & Garfunkel
Emerson, Lake & Palmer
Elton John
Fleetwood Mac
Jimmy Buffet

I listened to Disco only when I danced, yes I dabbled in Disco dancing. It was my social crutch into society and gave me a path to hang with women.

I despise solo shake-your-boogie" dancing. Dancing by myself, what fun is that?
 
I wish I experienced the 60's or the 80's or the early 90's if I look at my music collection, but unafortunately I'm from 1982. Even the predecessors of the House I like is not disco.
Do like Funk.

From what I read in previous posts here; I have some Billy Joel and of course David Bowie in the collection.
 
That's exactly when I was an audio newbe. My favs at the time were

Cat Stevens
John Prine
Loggins & Messina
Seals & Croft
Chicago
Billy Joel
America
Simon & Garfunkel
Emerson, Lake & Palmer
Elton John
Fleetwood Mac
Jimmy Buffet

I listened to Disco only when I danced, yes I dabbled in Disco dancing. It was my social crutch into society and gave me a path to hang with women.

I despise solo shake-your-boogie" dancing. Dancing by myself, what fun is that?

I heard all those groups too but had no clue who they were. I just found not too long along ago who did 'A Horse With No Name' how pathetic is that. My mom would blast Engelbert Humperdinck and Freddie Fender on the console until I couldn't stand it any more. I also listened to Alan Parson's Project and Abba -- that's disco too isn't it? Sheesh.
 
Yep.. the same Stones stuff I was listening to also.. I think my parents were glad once my Miss You 45 got worn out..

Oh yeah.. I gotta add Ram Jam to my list too.. and Sweet..
 
Some great rock, pop, soul, and country came out of those years. And since I was still in high school till '77, I listened and boogied to disco, which I still enjoy. To me it was just fun dance music of the times. If you were a guy, you had to be the right age or a freak or both to appreciate disco. The important thing is that the girls liked it!

When I hung out with the guys it was typically Led Zep, Bad Co., Queen, Aerosmith, Nazareth, etc. But who in their right mind, wants dance with another guy to Bohemian Rhapsody, when you could be bopping to Shake, Shake, Shake Your Booty with a bunch of hot cheerleaders.

Oh yeah!

:D

btw... I abhor the "disco suit" and the finger thing.
 
I started that period listening to pretty much only the Dead, Hot Tuna, NRPS, Airplane with a smattering of the acoustic blues I had listened to in previous years (Sonny Terry & Brownie McGhee, Willie McTell, Blind Blake, Lemon Jefferson, Gary Davis, etc.). Towards the end of that period I was listening to more country oriented stuff. Commercial country radio (WHN in NY) was still playing decent music, and that's where I discovered Emmylou Harris (when Elite Hotel came out). I was listening to more Dylan, Asleep at the Wheel, Flying Burrito Brothers, Little Feat, began discovering Todd Rundgren.... All of whom I still count as part of my core musical taste. I also experimented with music like Steely Dan, Pablo Cruise, Larry Carlton, but that stuff just didn't stick with me.

The only two disco songs I liked were Miss You and Boogie Oogie Oogie, which actually can make an absolutely seamless segue though I don't recall which way it goes.
 
I heard all those groups too but had no clue who they were. I just found not too long along ago who did 'A Horse With No Name' how pathetic is that. My mom would blast Engelbert Humperdinck and Freddie Fender on the console until I couldn't stand it any more. I also listened to Alan Parson's Project and Abba -- that's disco too isn't it? Sheesh.
It's kind of interesting... A lot of the groups that I still listen to today, released their debut album between about 1967 to 1972.
 
Zep, Genesis, Yes, Wakeman, Elo, ELP, Dire Straits, Kansas, Clapton, Cream, Mountain, (West, Bruce & Lang), Ozzie, and a bit o' country rock. My only concessions to Disco that I remember or will admit to would be Boz Scaggs, Silk Degrees and the Stones' Some Girls .

I never owned any Angel's Flight clothes, but I did have a heavy rope gold chain that was a gift from my Dad which I wore once. When all the 'Disco Dannies' got perms I had to give up my 'fro for fear of association with such trash.

I had a supervisor who's midlife crisis happened then. He dumped the wife and the Mecury bobcat. Got the clothes, chains, perm, Trans Am and a disco dance partner. They showed up at a party where everybody was already pretty smoked-out and put in cassette and did a dance exhibition for a bunch of stoners. It was the strangest and most surreal party moment ever.
 
umm 74 I was 1. My dad liked ABBA. Uhh I have Arrival and The Visitors on LP. Mom liked Billy Joel. Me too I have every album of his on vinyl. I Might also possess Saturday Night Fever on LP. That's it.


Oh but I do have an LP of the Ting Tings. Strangely they remind me of the 70's.


:)


Matt
 
Back
Top Bottom