• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

What do I have, and what all does it do?

KarmaNomad

New Member
I recently acquired some Pioneer stuff, and am wondering what all it does. From there, what I should do with it as I know nothing about stereo equipment. Noob here.

Okay, here's some numbers:
A-80
SA-9500
VSX-505s
CS-G304 (2) big speakers

I have no idea what the purpose of these units are as there are no cd/tape/record slots. Putting a cd in and pressing play is about the extent of my stereo knowledge.
Anyone know what all these do or how to hook them up? :dunno:
 
Register to hide this ad
welcome to AK, I am sure one of the Pioneer junkies who have these model numbers memorized will jump in here.
 
I don't know about the VSX-505s, but your A-80 and SA-9500 are integrated amplifiers. They take the sound from an external source like a tuner and amplify it so your speakers can be heard. Your CS-G304 speakers can be hooked to the back of either amplifier using speaker cable. Once you get speaker cable, there should be red and black speaker connectors. Your speakers will be connected here. However, to get any sound out of the amplifier, you will need some other type of source to hook up, like a tuner or a CD player. Hope this clears some things up. If you have other questions, I will be happy to answer them!

Edit: oh, and by the way, Welcome to AudioKarma :thmbsp:
 
The A-80 is an integrated amplifier. An integrated amplifier is a combination of an amplifier and a pre-amp together.

The SA-9500 is also an integrated amplifier.

The VSX-505S is an audio/video receiver. A receiver is an integrated amplifier with a built-in tuner.

All of these three units can power your stereo system...just plug the device (turntable, cd-player, tape, etc) in the appropriate rca connector on the back of the unit. The advantage of the VSX-505S is that it has a tuner built into it for AM/FM reception. The A-80 and the SA-9500 would need to have an external tuner plugged into it for radio reception.

If this was my equipment I would put the SA-9500 into immediate service and I would start looking for a TX-9500 II tuner for it...then send both to me :D ...this is a very desirable setup.
 
So all 3 are amps. Why would you need 3 internal amplifiers?

I just searched the rest of the pile of electronics that I got, and found a 5 disc kenwood changer. There's a record player too, but I don't nor have I ever owned a record.
So... I hook up the changer to the amplifier, then the amplifier to the other amplifier, then that one to the other amplifier? Somewhere in there run cord to the speakers, and I will hear the cd?
 
So all 3 are amps. Why would you need 3 internal amplifiers?

I just searched the rest of the pile of electronics that I got, and found a 5 disc kenwood changer. There's a record player too, but I don't nor have I ever owned a record.
So... I hook up the changer to the amplifier, then the amplifier to the other amplifier, then that one to the other amplifier? Somewhere in there run cord to the speakers, and I will hear the cd?

Ummm, no, just use one amplifier. Use some RCA plugs from the CD player to one amp. Use the "AUX" connection on the amp. Then run speaker wires from the amp (where it says SPEAKER A, or SPEAKER B, just use SPEAKER A) to the speakers.



Retro
 
Gotcha, one amp only. Any suggestions on which amp to use? I am leaning more towards the VSX b/c it matches the cd player, and has the built in tuner. Not sure what that is, but it must be good for something.
 
It's a toss up on which amp is the best. Most here would go for one of the integrateds like the A-90 or SA-9500 because they are vintage and probably have a better build quality.

I would agree that they probably would sound better than the VSX receiver even though it has a built in tuner. That is why NealinNevada mentioned finding a TX-9500 tuner to go with the SA-9500.
 
I would definitely go with the SA9500 (just my personal preference...). To answer your question, KarmaNomad, about what a built in tuner is... a tuner is the part of the stereo that actually receives the AM/FM radio stations. They can be either external (as is the case with the TX-9500 tuner) or internal (as is the case with the VSX receiver).
 
I personally have owned a few of the SA-9500s and would also pick that as my choice of Amp out of the three you listed. The build quality of those is second to none.

:yes:




Retro
 
I'm gonna hook them up, and see how it goes. Not sure if this stuff even works. Helped a buddy clean out his garage, and attic. He told me I could have what I want, and do whatever with the rest.
I did it just for the pre-flatscreen style tv, so I can hook up my NES, SNES, 64, and genisus. Guess the stereo stuff is a bonus. Plus a bunch of car stereo stuff I have no idea what it is or does, and probably the first computer monitor ever. Thing looks like a freaking tv. :D
 
Dude:

One thing you should realize and should be emphasized is that those amps are a major score. The SA-9500 is a great amp, and that A-80 is a beast! It's like 150w per channel!

http://www.thevintageknob.org/PIONEER/A80/A80.html#

Get some decent speakers and you will be set for a while, assuming the amps are in good shape.

Post your location and I bet you will get some craigslist suggestions for speakers.
 
I'm gonna hook them up, and see how it goes. Not sure if this stuff even works. Helped a buddy clean out his garage, and attic. He told me I could have what I want, and do whatever with the rest.
I did it just for the pre-flatscreen style tv, so I can hook up my NES, SNES, 64, and genisus. Guess the stereo stuff is a bonus. Plus a bunch of car stereo stuff I have no idea what it is or does, and probably the first computer monitor ever. Thing looks like a freaking tv. :D


Well, that explains how you fell into this treasure trove, without understanding what you have.

There's probably plenty of folks here that would be willing to help you if you ever "thin the herd". :D
 
Wow, who would of thought 5 1/2 years later I'd end up back here looking for stereo components for a record player setup. Sure wish I would of kept that stuff from back then, lol. Anyway, sorry for the bump, just amusing that I've been bitten by the vinyl bug.
 
LOL, I got your PM...

BOTH the SA-9500 and the A-80 I bought from you are on the shelf, awaiting their turn on the bench. Obviously I am swamped with equipment, and my (other people's units) waiting list is about 4 years long... With the death of my father last month, and dealing with the estate including the house, it's going to be quite a while before I can even GET to the bench to do electronics.

The SA-9500 has whatever problems it originally had plus the usual suspects to be swapped out before they trash the power amp sections, and the A-80 has the busted volume control IIRC...

The SA-9500 contributed pictures and measurements to Sawdust's efforts to reproduce/make a fine case series for them.

BOTH are good vinyl amps, the 9500 for MM (moving magnet) carts with their higher (0.0025v, 2.5 millivolt) output, while the A-80 has the additional amplification (AND special transformer) to handle the MC (moving coil) cart with it's lower output voltage.

The other consideration is the power amplifier "topology", with the SA-9500 (80w ~0.05%) there is the traditional class AB amp, while the A-80 (150w ~0.003%) utilizes the ultra low distortion Pioneer NSA circuitry. Some claim to be able to hear the difference, and I'm NOT inclined to argue.
 
Last edited:
Thanks for the update. I couldn't even remember what all I had so I searched for this post. Then I couldn't remember what I did with it all. Now I remember, the older stuff all went your way. :thmbsp:
 
Back
Top Bottom