• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

What do the guru's think?

Smudbeboss

New Member
I am currently using an older Kenwood Receiver, an AR-304, for my music amplification. Don't really use the radio in it at all. My Father in law gave me a Panasonic SA-HE100 which I have not hooked up yet. I am thinking of asking for a Marantz PM8005 for Christmas. Cost wise the Marantz is in a different league than the other two. Will it make a significant difference in my sound? I have Cambridge audio speakers and subwoofers. Would there be a big difference between the Kenwood and the Panasonic? A big difference between those two and the Marantz?What thinkest thou?
 
Register to hide this ad
We dont know your speakers. The marantz doesn't have a phono input and it is rated at 70 wpc at 8 ohms. i would probably like the Kenwood, but I doubt it produces 100 watts RMS at 8 ohms.
 
For me, not having to get up to tweak the volume control or change sources, or whatever, would be a huge upgrade.
 
I'd imagine the Marantz would be a worthy upgrade. Generally, I like Kenwood receivers but they were in decline when that receiver was made and the Marantz is in another league anyway. Panasonic generally isn't know for having great sound quality, although apparently that model has a MOSFET amplifier, which is interesting. However, depending on what model Cambridge Audio speakers you have, those might be worth upgrading first. A new receiver can only take speakers so far.
 
I am currently using an older Kenwood Receiver, an AR-304, for my music amplification...Cost wise the Marantz is in a different league than the other two. Will it make a significant difference in my sound?
My current home came with an AR-104 that drove the in house system. I replaced it earlier this year with an inexpensive Emotiva Mini 100 amp and was astounded by the difference in terms of punch and clarity.

Yes, a current Marantz will make a significant difference in the sound.
 
Back
Top Bottom