• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

What Do You Do When US Doesn’t Get the Goo Off?

JJCalvillo

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Found a pretty good CD-4 copy of Aqualung that has one stubborn problem. At the start of side 2 in maybe the first 10 cycles, there’s a .25” long blob of something. It causes a skip at the very beginning, but if you help it past it plays with background noise until it gets 10 or so turns in and then the sound is great. I’ve put it through the US multiple times, and put alcohol on a cue tip and scrubbed. It cleaned up slightly but the skip and most of the blob are still there.
I have some organic stuff called Superzilla that says you can wipe it on plastics, fiberglass or vinyl siding IF you wipe it off again within a few minutes. Don’t want to kill the LP, just clean it, so not sure if that would be a good idea. Any ideas would be appreciated.
 
Register to hide this ad
shouldn't bother it if its not left on there forever. Naptha is a more potent solvent and that won't cause damage if wiped on and wiped off. I wouldn't leave it soak in either overnight though.


if the solvent gets it gone, a run through the ultrasonic with a couple drops of some sort of soap wouldn't be a bad idea to get rid of any oily residue. Dawn works pretty well.
 
You might need a microscope, or some form of good magnification to further inspect what that doody is? Possibly calls for micro-surgery! LOL Might need some enzymes. Or simply a drop of dawn dish soap. Pizza Doody! LOL

Go with it! (Hey, today's my 70th B-Day, it's grand to be funny. "Funny like how"?!)
:)

 
Last edited:
Found a pretty good CD-4 copy of Aqualung that has one stubborn problem. At the start of side 2 in maybe the first 10 cycles, there’s a .25” long blob of something. It causes a skip at the very beginning, but if you help it past it plays with background noise until it gets 10 or so turns in and then the sound is great. I’ve put it through the US multiple times, and put alcohol on a cue tip and scrubbed. It cleaned up slightly but the skip and most of the blob are still there.
I have some organic stuff called Superzilla that says you can wipe it on plastics, fiberglass or vinyl siding IF you wipe it off again within a few minutes. Don’t want to kill the LP, just clean it, so not sure if that would be a good idea. Any ideas would be appreciated.
I did an experiment years ago on VE where I lined up new records I got in a bulk buy that were rubbish. I put turpentine on one, white spirit on another, alcohol on another and various other solvents. I kept topping up for two weeks and brushing them in.
The only solvent that did any damage was dry cleaning fluid which dis coloured the vinyl but it still played.
Cheers
Chris
 
You might need a microscope, or some form of good magnification to further inspect what that doody is? Possibly calls for micro-surgery! LOL Might need some enzymes. Or simply a drop of dawn dish soap. Pizza Doody! LOL

Go with it! (Hey, today's my 70th B-Day, it's grand to be funny. "Funny like how"?!)
:)

Hey Happy birthday!
 
I trust that there is some solvent that will remove the "blob" unless the "blob" got stuck with something that damaged the vinyl.

The US is for getting the small stuff out of the grooves and won't deal with big blobs as well.

Getting it off with either a water-base (think white glue/adhesive/jelly/jam/pizza-sauce/sugar) or petroleum-based (WD40, lighter fluid, etc.).

Note: I've run into records with candle wax spots (So romantic) that requires gentle heat (think 120F) and soap/time to remove and/or gentle work with toothpick to get the majority off.

Water-based soaps should have no impact on the vinyl while petroleum-based solvents have the potential to do damage.

I have used water, soap, acetic acid (weak - white vinegar in water), and lighter fluid (very rare) but not WD40 (just haven't had the need) with no damage to vinyl.

Here's a compatibility reference for PVC if you are interested although the plasticizer content may be a factor.
 
I trust that there is some solvent that will remove the "blob" unless the "blob" got stuck with something that damaged the vinyl.

The US is for getting the small stuff out of the grooves and won't deal with big blobs as well.

Getting it off with either a water-base (think white glue/adhesive/jelly/jam/pizza-sauce/sugar) or petroleum-based (WD40, lighter fluid, etc.).

Note: I've run into records with candle wax spots (So romantic) that requires gentle heat (think 120F) and soap/time to remove and/or gentle work with toothpick to get the majority off.

Water-based soaps should have no impact on the vinyl while petroleum-based solvents have the potential to do damage.

I have used water, soap, acetic acid (weak - white vinegar in water), and lighter fluid (very rare) but not WD40 (just haven't had the need) with no damage to vinyl.

Here's a compatibility reference for PVC if you are interested although the plasticizer content may be a factor.
IME vinyl is pretty bullet-proof.

About only chemical I tried that should not be used is acetone, which melts vinyl!
I assume paint stripper would also not be good. I’ve tried naphtha, scrubbing bubbles, alcohol, Simple Green, steam cleaning, and probably a few others that I’ve forgotten with no adverse affects. I’ve even use ultra fine (1500 grit) sandpaper to abrade damage that made the record skip. It did work!

I always rinse thoroughly and run through the RCM afterwards.

The bulk of my 3000 records came from thrift stores, so if an experiment doesn’t work it’s OK. I’ve learned a lot.
 
I trust that there is some solvent that will remove the "blob" unless the "blob" got stuck with something that damaged the vinyl.

The US is for getting the small stuff out of the grooves and won't deal with big blobs as well.

Getting it off with either a water-base (think white glue/adhesive/jelly/jam/pizza-sauce/sugar) or petroleum-based (WD40, lighter fluid, etc.).

Note: I've run into records with candle wax spots (So romantic) that requires gentle heat (think 120F) and soap/time to remove and/or gentle work with toothpick to get the majority off.

Water-based soaps should have no impact on the vinyl while petroleum-based solvents have the potential to do damage.

I have used water, soap, acetic acid (weak - white vinegar in water), and lighter fluid (very rare) but not WD40 (just haven't had the need) with no damage to vinyl.

Here's a compatibility reference for PVC if you are interested although the plasticizer content may be a factor.
Great link, thank you!
 
Back
Top Bottom