• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

what do you guys think of the luxman pd 272?

TrevorBarten

Well-Known Member
I just got one with a stanton 681 eee cartridge and it sounds pretty good has some background noise though. I like the tone arm but from what I have read about this turntable it seems to be an entry level turntable from luxman kinda surprised by this since it goes for around 300-400 euros on the second hand market. Anyhow I also have a few other direct drive players including a micro seiki dd 33, sl 110, pd 290, dual 701 and a few others sadly I kind compare them all since I don't feel like swapping the cartridge every time. from what I can tell the luxman pd 272 seems like a better turntable then the micro seiki dd 33 which is quite highly regarded while the luxman is not so I am honestly pretty lost. Do any of you have experience with the luxman turntable ? I'd love to hear about what you guys that know more about the subject think about the turntable.
 
Register to hide this ad
I like the tone arm but from what I have read about this turntable it seems to be an entry level turntable from luxman kinda surprised by this since it goes for around 300-400 euros on the second hand market.
yeah, it's confusing with the vinyl hype at it's peak and Lux having a great hi-fi mfgr rep which sure brings on the high $$$ in auctions. Truth is, it's an entry level TT, just like you suspected and it was made by Fujiya Audio for Luxman, who did not make turntables of their own. You can check the back label for the 'fa' (sometimes 'fd') symbol, representing Fujiya. Funnily enough, the same OEM maker made some of the entry level turntables for Micro Seiki just the same.
 
yeah, it's confusing with the vinyl hype at it's peak and Lux having a great hi-fi mfgr rep which sure brings on the high $$$ in auctions. Truth is, it's an entry level TT, just like you suspected and it was made by Fujiya Audio for Luxman, who did not make turntables of their own. You can check the back label for the 'fa' (sometimes 'fd') symbol, representing Fujiya. Funnily enough, the same OEM maker made some of the entry level turntables for Micro Seiki just the same.
Hmm ok so both the the dd 33 and the pd 272 are made by Fujiya audio ? Or is the dd 33 not considered entry level ? Because apart from the arm it's kinda laughable how flimsy the dd 33 is.
 
I just got one with a stanton 681 eee cartridge and it sounds pretty good has some background noise though. I like the tone arm but from what I have read about this turntable it seems to be an entry level turntable from luxman kinda surprised by this since it goes for around 300-400 euros on the second hand market. Anyhow I also have a few other direct drive players including a micro seiki dd 33, sl 110, pd 290, dual 701 and a few others sadly I kind compare them all since I don't feel like swapping the cartridge every time. from what I can tell the luxman pd 272 seems like a better turntable then the micro seiki dd 33 which is quite highly regarded while the luxman is not so I am honestly pretty lost. Do any of you have experience with the luxman turntable ? I'd love to hear about what you guys that know more about the subject think about the turntable.


I think the 272 uses a brushless motor, you should oil he motor. You will have to open it and clean and lube it, but I would guess that would help with back ground noise. 30-40 year old oil will slow the platter and cause the motor to work harder to hold speed. Your cart will pick up the sound. I leaned this lesson recently.

I ran the Luxman PD-289 for a a good while, it was a nice table. I liked it... a fellow AKer has it now.. :)
 
I have been running a PD-272 in my living room system for over 10 years. No issues and easy on the eyes. Got it at a church sale for $10. It's certainly a reliable workhorse and I don't have to worry when I have people visit,

I currently have a Shure cart on there. Can you describe the "background" noise? Do you think it's mechanical or electrical?
 
The PD-272 was an entry level Luxman turntable. There is a big difference between it and other brands when it comes to entry level. The 272 was $345 new.

Looks are a given, functionality, too, it just works. The great part of that table is the Micro Seiki made TA-1 tonearm. Usually selling for a few hundred.

Sure the table didn't isolate as well as the higher end Luxmans but it did a fine job if it did not have to be subjected the loud music. That table sold new for a bit more than the full auto direct drives from the well known brands and was worth the difference because of the arm. It was a manual, the 277 being the automatic in the line. Properly isolated it is a fine table if in good physical shape.
 
Last edited:
I would consider the PD-272 a notch up because of the tonearm. And the looks.
Luxman had good success with the PD121/PD131 turntables a few years earlier and they kept the looks for their "lesser" turntables. Quotes because they are pretty decent. The dust cover is pretty thick and inert, and that is a big plus for any TT.
 
Old thread but this is quite a nice deck. $345 in 1976.

Sorry bored.

TT's are so hard to find on the fly I can't part with the 272. Haven't used it in 8 years.
 
Old thread but this is quite a nice deck. $345 in 1976.

Sorry bored.

TT's are so hard to find on the fly I can't part with the 272. Haven't used it in 8 years.

I ended up selling mine but I do think that for the price it's a pretty good turntable to get. Even if they go for as much as 600 usd these days. I would for sure put it above some of the others I have mentioned in this thread like the dd 33 or the dual 701. The arm is a big plus and the platter is quite heavy as well. And as far as looks go there aren't many that beat it IMO the closest would be some models also made by luxman.
 
I ended up selling mine but I do think that for the price it's a pretty good turntable to get. Even if they go for as much as 600 usd these days. I would for sure put it above some of the others I have mentioned in this thread like the dd 33 or the dual 701. The arm is a big plus and the platter is quite heavy as well. And as far as looks go there aren't many that beat it IMO the closest would be some models also made by luxman.

I paid $15 for mine. Two things I don't like is a non-removable headshell, and a fully manual deck.

I had the 277 with a cracked lid from a poor pack job in 2000. I paid under $150 for the 277 on Ebay with an Ortofon Om 40 Cartridge & Stylus. I traded it for some nonsense I still have. Shrug.

I did sell the OM 40 with the stylus worn for $100 so no complaints.

I am not the biggest fan of straight arm TT's which I guess eliminates the high end for me unless it a laugher price.

I am using a Denon DP 47F I like, and it does have a straight arm, but a removable headhsell. $10 for the Denon.

At these prices I just can't part with any TT's right now. Just to hard to find.
 
I have an even lower Luxman, a 99? or something like that. It's setup in the basement and I'm just too lazy to look after being down there cleaning out my work shop all day.

Anyway, it's a no-frills semi auto, but it just works. It's really never needed anything. Super smooth, quiet operation and a fairly substantial platter. Nicely joined/laminated mdf plinth, too, at a time when the low to mid stuff was moving to molded plastic. Speed is rock solid and it's gets there quickly. No complaints about the audio, either, with a pretty wide variety of carts I've had on it. I think in general the low end Luxman is overlooked, a few folks told me not to bother with it for $50, but I feel like it was money very well spent.
 
I have an even lower Luxman, a 99? or something like that. It's setup in the basement and I'm just too lazy to look after being down there cleaning out my work shop all day.

Anyway, it's a no-frills semi auto, but it just works. It's really never needed anything. Super smooth, quiet operation and a fairly substantial platter. Nicely joined/laminated mdf plinth, too, at a time when the low to mid stuff was moving to molded plastic. Speed is rock solid and it's gets there quickly. No complaints about the audio, either, with a pretty wide variety of carts I've had on it. I think in general the low end Luxman is overlooked, a few folks told me not to bother with it for $50, but I feel like it was money very well spent.
Is it one of the grey plastic ones? I use an amplifier from that set as testing equipment. Very resolving. Absolutely underrated for the 30-40 euros they go for second hand. Does look pretty terrible though.
 
I paid $15 for mine. Two things I don't like is a non-removable headshell, and a fully manual deck.

I had the 277 with a cracked lid from a poor pack job in 2000. I paid under $150 for the 277 on Ebay with an Ortofon Om 40 Cartridge & Stylus. I traded it for some nonsense I still have. Shrug.

I did sell the OM 40 with the stylus worn for $100 so no complaints.

I am not the biggest fan of straight arm TT's which I guess eliminates the high end for me unless it a laugher price.

I am using a Denon DP 47F I like, and it does have a straight arm, but a removable headhsell. $10 for the Denon.

At these prices I just can't part with any TT's right now. Just to hard to find.

How does the pd 277 compare to the 272? Is it truly just an automatic version of the 272? I remember having a 288 before but I wasn't a big fan of the tonearm, same for the 370 which ie actually supposed to be quite a high end deck. I much prefer the pd-272 tonearm over the ones on those, atleast in terms of build quality.
 
Is it one of the grey plastic ones? I use an amplifier from that set as testing equipment. Very resolving. Absolutely underrated for the 30-40 euros they go for second hand. Does look pretty terrible though.

It is gray, its a joined MDF plinth though (vinyl covered, but done very well imo). Actually has a little bit of mass to it, unlike my comparable plastic Yamaha of the same era. I actually rather like how simple/clean it is in appearance and operation. Just a single LED for the quartz lock, a switch for 45/33, and a single oversize button for queuing. If it had adjustable VTA, it would be a real sleeper!

(pic stolen from elsewhere online)

IMG_6411_f07b3038-8800-4e9e-ab22-f8da6970697f_900x.jpg
 
It is gray, its a joined MDF plinth though (vinyl covered, but done very well imo). Actually has a little bit of mass to it, unlike my comparable plastic Yamaha of the same era. I actually rather like how simple/clean it is in appearance and operation. Just a single LED for the quartz lock, a switch for 45/33, and a single oversize button for queuing. If it had adjustable VTA, it would be a real sleeper!

(pic stolen from elsewhere online)

IMG_6411_f07b3038-8800-4e9e-ab22-f8da6970697f_900x.jpg

Ah those. That is definitely not just a turntable you shouldn't bother with for 50 bucks. I have had the white version of that before. And they are pretty nice. Also gp for a pretty penny so even on that front people telling you to pass on ot for 50 is crazy.
 
I'm late to the party but I owned a PD-272. I purchased it new from Midwest Hifi back in 1977 with a Grace F9e for about $400.00 and I still have the original receipt. This was my second turntable after a disastrous crappy a@@ Technics SL-23, actually two of them as I returned the first one with speed stability problems that the second one also had, later finding out that it was a design flaw. The Luxman just had a bigger warmer sound and it exuded a quality look, weight(heavy), and feel. It made the SL-23 seem like a toy, 'Close & Play' or something. As to the vinyl base; back then the salesman suggested that the base was made with a vinyl wrap that actually had a raised grain to it, looked like and felt like(well sort of) Rosewood. I first thought that it was some solid product that I never seen used before anywhere else. The idea was that sonically, MDF board was better than solid wood that may create resonant issues. I had not used it in a while as I gave it to my sister who used it in a nice system until she married, had kids and moved to the suburbs leaving the stereo stored away for two plus decades and gave it back to me. The only issue I originally had was the transformer, an unusually thin design go bad but that was it. I used a Signet TK9ea, Supex 900 Super with matching Premier Line ST-1 Super-Definition Moving Coil Transformer, both which I still own. I find it hard to believe anyone would sell one of these for ten, twenty bucks(sounds like BS), working or not. I decided to get rid of it as I own five tables already. I sold it for $500.00, no cartridge rather quickly on CL to a very happy person who was almost half the age of the 272.
 

Attachments

  • L1.jpg
    L1.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 6
  • L4.jpg
    L4.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 9
  • L9.jpg
    L9.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 8
  • L8.jpg
    L8.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 8
  • supex_14.jpg
    supex_14.jpg
    197.2 KB · Views: 6
  • The Premier Line ST-1 Super-Definition Moving Coil Transformer.jpg
    The Premier Line ST-1 Super-Definition Moving Coil Transformer.jpg
    115.6 KB · Views: 8
I find it hard to believe anyone would sell one of these for ten, twenty bucks(sounds like BS),
That is the price before the internet clued up the general public that vintage stereo gear had value. Someone moving on from records dumping all of it on CL before FBMP and $5 might have bought one or at a yard sale. But yes, they are worth way more.

You did very well with your sale. It's a good table but not quite that good...but looks the business...I like/want the PD-441 and that has some good value to it also.
 
Back
Top Bottom