• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

What do you know about this peculiar 1970 JVC quad receiver?

jeeem

Active Member
I'm smitten, staring into the big green eyes of this JVC 4MM 4600. It's kind of delightful to me. Jeepers creepers. I can't decide: Is it ugly? Is it gorgeous? Both? JVC is one of those brands I know very little about -- although I had one of those slate-colored JVC double cassette decks in the 1990s.

What I'm wondering is: How does this green-eyed siren sound? Has anybody here actually heard her? Got any background info, besides the specs on hifiengine.com?

jvc-4mm4600.preview.jpg
 
Register to hide this ad
I just picked one up. I bought it locally for $120. I fell in love with the retro looks in addition to the fact that it was manufactured around the same year I was born! I was able to find some related components. The top left unit is an ECA-102 Reverb and the top right is a VN-5101 100-watt amp. I was also able to source four original matching speakers (MSB-210UA). The system sounds really nice considering the age. It has a full-bodied, warm colour. Quite airy, despite the relatively small speakers. Some distortion when you push the volume, but that is to be expected. The 4mm-4600 only does 7-watt per channel. I haven't had time to connect it through the 100-watt amp. I also need to connect my turntable (same vintage Transcriptor Hydraulic). I will let you know what it sounds like with a better source than the FM tuner and a better amp.

I also want to try CD4 quad, but I could not find any information on whether the 4mm-4600 receiver can handle the demodulation. I will test it out (I am still sourcing a CD4-capable cart for my tt). I may need to buy a JVC 4DD-5 Disc Demodulator if the 4mm-4600 cannot handle it.

BB556ECA-9C57-4916-B1D9-020E47E3B086.jpeg
 
Back
Top Bottom