• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

What does watts per chanel mean?

Lot of hocus pocus goes into assigning a number to an amp ... Mfg's were playing fast and loose to the point where the rules were revised ... which basically boiled down to the mfg's playing fast and loose with the new set of rules, which lead to a revision of the rules ... <G>

If you really must know an amp's actual output, you can always go with the trusty old volts squared divided by ohms load with the amp set to just before clipping with a 1kHz signal ... then all you got to do is figure out what that means in your world, as in how it relates to your system and preferences.
 
I still see people getting way too hung up on more Watts. There is far more to amplifier design than just the power supply. They tend to read the latest edition of GoldenEar Review and get turning these ideas over in their minds without fully understand the context or the math behind Watts. Worse now, audiophiles believe that an amplifier cannot (under any circumstance) sound listenable UNLESS it doubles its power down to 0.5 Ohms, or whatever flavor-of-the-month DC resistance value they come up with. Not all amplifiers have linear power output into each load impedance, especially regulated designs. I'm not alluding to the non-linear exponential curve across different impedance values, I am writing about a single steady load. Regulated amps double up to the limit of the regulator. Now here is something to think about: How many speakers drop to 1 Ohm? I mean lets be perfectly honest, the Apogee Scintillas, but they have been out of production for a long time, and ever fewer of them still work. How many voice coils in production speakers can handle that current flow? Zilch. By the way RMS is VAC x .707. It's the DC equivalent electromotive magnitude. I don't even need Google to do the math to calculate the net impedance of a driver where, R and phase in degrees or Xc or Xl are known. From that I can also calculate current flow for a given signal magnitude, line drop, on and on... I love trigonometry and three space.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom