• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

What is a good entry to mid-end turntables?

Re swappable arm:

Got it, I will drop that requirement. I do want to be able to change the carts, for expandability reasons.

I'm not sure what Bone Yard meant, as I can certainly think of some models that have swappable arms, or, at least in some configurations, were just sold armless in the first place: Technics SP15 and SP25 for example. Some of the Denons. I'm sure there are numerous others, even with all the fixed-arm DD turntables out there. You could look into what's available in the Japan secondhand market. I would guess that quite a lot of Japanese sellers don't ship internationally, just as a lot of sellers in the United States don't. But HiFiDo definitely does, and I'm sure I've read a few comments from people on AK who've bought from them and were favourable about the process. You needn't consider them your only choice in Japan, by any means, but just to get you started, here's a sampling of what they have cheaply right now:



DP3000 @ ¥21,000 ($140)
DP790 @ ¥14,000 ($92)

You'd have to add the cost of international shipping, and an arm, and a cartridge. But no faffing about with auctions, or dealing people who don't know how to pack for shipping.

Wanting to have a swappable-arm model is certainly worthwhile if you're chasing sound quality (or just want to experiment), and finding an affordable one is perfectly feasible. I'd go that route over a new entry level turntable every time, but you have to be willing to accept some of the risks or potential drawbacks of looking at non-new models in the first place. If you're okay with that, it's a great way to get a good turntable at a good price.
 
Last edited:
I second the Sony PS X series. I have the PS X6 and it is heavy, gel feet, and the speed is locked in all the time. And talk about a quiet motor. Sounds great. Just an excellent table.
 
There are a lot of direct drive Sony tables that perform well, as long as nobody has damaged the magnetic pattern on the inside of the platter. Usually under $200 or so. You won't get anything new and you won't get anything with a removable arm, but that's OK. Most of the Sonys had removable head-shells and you can usually find additional ones. There are also a couple Thorens models on the 'bay that need power cords, cartridges and such, for under $300 that might be worth considering if you're handy. Warning- almost nobody can properly pack a turntable and ship it without damage! Search out the horror stories here on AK.
 
As a previous poster said, look for a nice, used Rega Planar 3 (or 2). They come with the hard to beat Rega RB 300 or 250 tonearm in the older models. You'll be hard pressed to find a better tonearm for under $1000. Maybe a Systemdek IIX, too, which often come equipped with a Jelco or similar arm and, are removeable.
 
There are a lot of direct drive Sony tables that perform well, as long as nobody has damaged the magnetic pattern on the inside of the platter. Usually under $200 or so. You won't get anything new and you won't get anything with a removable arm, but that's OK. Most of the Sonys had removable head-shells and you can usually find additional ones. There are also a couple Thorens models on the 'bay that need power cords, cartridges and such, for under $300 that might be worth considering if you're handy. Warning- almost nobody can properly pack a turntable and ship it without damage! Search out the horror stories here on AK.
True
Talk with the seller on how he will pack it.
Before buying
Is he experienced with packing turntables?
And you need to find out yourself proper packing procedures.
 
Honestly I don't think many, if any tt's would touch the Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Evo at this price. And it comes with a good carbon fibre tonearm and upgraded stylus to get you started. This deck is a bit over your budget, but worth the stretch imho.
Second this...I picked one up a couple years ago and love mine...upgraded the stylus (mine came with a sumiko, and they have an "upgrade path" you can follow....jumped it up a couple levels and sounds even better).
 
There's lot of Japanese turntables that would suit you well; especially quite a few Technics. I keep ugly SL-Q202 quartz locked as a backup, but there are many other turntables one could find in your price range. A Philips GA312/212 would be nice too.
,

 
There are a lot of direct drive Sony tables that perform well, as long as nobody has damaged the magnetic pattern on the inside of the platter. Usually under $200 or so. You won't get anything new and you won't get anything with a removable arm, but that's OK.
Yeah, looking back on it, my requirements were pretty steep
Most of the Sonys had removable head-shells and you can usually find additional ones. There are also a couple Thorens models on the 'bay that need power cords, cartridges and such, for under $300 that might be worth considering if you're handy.
Got it, I will keep my eyes peeled
Warning- almost nobody can properly pack a turntable and ship it without damage! Search out the horror stories here on AK.
I was about to give a story contradicting your point, but then I realized I picked up that turntable locally, so I guess that goes to prove your point
 
Warning- almost nobody can properly pack a turntable and ship it without damage! Search out the horror stories here on AK.
Well, I think thats overstaing it quite a bit; a lot of folks don't pack right, but almost nobody is a bit much.

The advice about checking the seller's experience packing turntables is on point though. Look at their closed auctions and see what turntables or other delicate things they have sold, and avoid any seller's using The UPS Store, as there are quite a few tales here of trouble. In fact, I saw one commercial where the model was packing a delicate object in a carton too small and w/o adequate packing, 2-3" on all sides. But thern again, that's the ever present disconnect between Corporate/Marketing and Operations in a lot of places.
 
I'd like a better turntable but I'm pretty discouraged with the high prices for what you could pick up very cheap in The late 70s . Today 100 dollars is Cosby or some other junk.
 
One model that is pretty hard to beat and you can upgrade the tonearm later, if you wish is the Kenwood KD-500 or 550. I bought mine for $250, but that was a while ago, and I got really lucky. That led me to buying my current mainstay the Yamaha GT-2000L.

Edit: It is fully manual, but the tonearm it comes with is very good, with many options available. The cost is you lose the automatics. But I think as long as you have a way of lifting up the cueing lever, should be good. I got my Yamaha with that option, and there are options available for other models of turntable. You will need to research that if it is important to you.
IMG_1926.JPG
 
Last edited:
The obvious answer is a Technics SL1200. $5-600. Removable tone arm, direct drive. I'm a homer for them, but I have used belts and idlers...not much beats holding speed, fast spin-up and above all...simplicity. My opinion only
Yeah that is a nice deck and is a legend. Though keep in mind we're comparing a vintage deck to a brand new deck which is upgradeable as Bobellis75 mentioned. The new Anniversary Technics SL1200 models are well over the OP's budget. That said, if the OP could find a good, well serviced/cared for example, I agree that should be on his audition list.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom