• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

What is a low mass arm? I don't understand!

INDIANSCOUT

Member
I have two turntables-Garrard Zero-100 and a Sony PS-P7X "S" shaped tonarm. I read all the time that this cartridge or that is for a low mass or a high mass tonearm. What is that? Is my Zero-100 a low, mid or high mass arm?
AAARRRGGHHH!
 
Register to hide this ad
A low mass tonearm is one that has an effective mass smaller than, roughly, 9 grams. For slighty larger values, people talk about low-mid mass tonearms, and so on. Regarding the Garrard Zero 100 I don't know its figure for the effective mass. You could search into the files in here: http://www.vinylengine.com/library/garrard/zero-100.shtml . A standard database for searching effective tonearms values is available here: http://www.vinylengine.com/turntable-database.php . The Garrard Zero figure is not quoted there.
 
The Zero's arm is probably mid mass. Its not as heavy as it seems like it should be. What cart are you thinking of fitting to it? I've had pretty good luck out of various Stanton, Pickering, and Shure carts on mine but I should warn you that it will be happier physically bolting up a cartridge with a flatter ear, and one that takes a big screw. I tried putting a Shure M97xE on it, and it physically would not fit. the screws used on the Garrard are larger than the ears on the Shure cart. I've had an M93E, several Stanton 680 series, and a Pickering V15 on it without problems though.

If you're in the market for something new, decently matched to the Zero, and not expensive, try a Stanton 680V3.E. I got one for under 45 bucks brand new, it runs 2-5 grams which is perfect for the changer cycle, and it sounds good.
 

Attachments

  • Zero100_stanton680v3e.jpg
    Zero100_stanton680v3e.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 415
Last edited:
I have several stantons, a 681eee, 881s mark II, at20ss, at15ss, at15sa, at14sa and more. All these are new still in original boxes. I have not hooked them up yet.
 
You're well set then. Myself I'd bolt up that 681EEE and see what it does, but thats the only one I have any experience with. I'd love to give an 881 a try sometime, and I'd also like to try some of the better AT carts.
 
I just picked up a Sony PS-3750 with an S-shaped arm and it's definitely not low mass. One doesn't get low mass by hanging a lateral balance weight off the side! I wouldn't put a high compliance cartridge in it or it would be bottoming out on record warps. No idea on the Zero-100 but it's inherent complexity probably keeps it out of really low mass territory as well.
 
high compliance?

I have been into high end stereo and quad gear since 1971 and would just hook up a cartridge to my tonearm, dumb huh? My Pioneer SA-8800 integrated amp has dials for Ohms and one for capacitance. It's a feature that no other amp or receiver has as far as I have found. The latter has picofarads as adjustments and the other lets you dial in ohms. Is that what you mean?
 
As far as I can find out the Sony's Biotracer arm is considered on the low mass side while the Zero 100's is considered low-mid mass. Just for clarification though is the Sony PS-X7?

As far as the settings on your Pioneer, those have to do with what is called cartridge loading. Loading refers to what the cartridge prefers to "see" on at the amp for proper playback. That's without going in to a detailed discussion of it. Most cartridges are all set to work with the standard 47k ohms to play at their best. This can change though the higher up you go in price or by switching from Moving Magnet to moving Coil. And as many will testify here that isn't always what gets the most out of the cartridge. Those settings allow you to fine tune a cartridges loading for the best performance. However I'd suggest doing a search here or at VinylEngine for some good threads discussing just what it all means.

My biggest question though is with the Sony properly set up and with that stable of cartridges to choose from which one do you listen to more? I would think as far as sound quality goes the Sony would be better. You can really fine tune it with all the tools it has to get the most out of any cartridge you could mount in it. If you're not used to it it's possible it could be overwhelming all the different adjustments you could make but there's no time like the present to dive in and teach yourself. There's a ton of info on here and the new video sticky on setting up your turntable is always a good starting point if you have doubts. Watch it and do some searching. It's how I'm learning and digesting more info all the time. You'll be amazed at what you'll find out about the potential you have sitting in your hands...
 
Thanks everyone! It kind of makes sense now. I have been using a JVC 4MD-20X as my prime cart due to it's frequency response 5Hz-60,000KHZ. It also has a shibata and sounds good..
 
I just picked up a Sony PS-3750 with an S-shaped arm and it's definitely not low mass. One doesn't get low mass by hanging a lateral balance weight off the side!

I went to the VE data base and looked at my old Pioneer PL-518 and it has a S arm 9.5 and it has balance weight on the side?? I am re-learning TT and spining vinly again after many years of CD's. So is mine a mid level mass arm or? It does sound great with Pop's old Pickering cart and NOS stylus I found for it. I remember when Pop had a expensive Thorens and SME arm and he was suprised how nice this TT sounded with this cart/stylus combo.His Thorens was stolen and he purchased this Pioneer new back then and liked it well enough he did upgrade.:scratch2:
 
Here's an article that shows the numbers for low,mid and high mass arm weights. http://www.gcaudio.com/resources/howtos/tonearmcartridge.html

To calculate your arm mass, here's a good explaination from another AK member ( post # 4 ). http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=240809

Thanks :thmbsp: post #4 was what I was looking for. I see why Dad had the aluminum head shells for the Pioneer PL-518 he had had 4 different makes of metal head shells(they seem to be different weights). Pop had ADC XLM MkII Improved on two and the Pickering XUV his (his favorite Shibata style) D4500Q stylus for stereo.. I will buy a scale and follow the info on post 4 on the link. Vinly Engine advised me to use the "Stevenson Protractor" on this Pioneer "S" arm weight was 9.5. I don't know yet what the real tone arm length is. From what I read my 9.5 S arm is on the edge of being a low mass arm. I Can tell you the Pickering and the ADC when set up correctly sound great. My friend has a Mint SL1200 MK5 GM with KAB mods and AT expensive cart WOW a difference:music: (he has Cornwall speakers too) but not $1,000.00 or more difference to my ears. My old PL-518X(black model) and cart combo sounds good enough I have not purchased another TT...yet.:D Pop had a ADC on a Thorens and SME arm (don't remeber the model) that was stolen and purchased this Pioneer new and never upgraded. That first link went a bit over my head I will have to read it again....several times:sigh:
 
Here's an article that shows the numbers for low,mid and high mass arm weights. http://www.gcaudio.com/resources/howtos/tonearmcartridge.html

To calculate your arm mass, here's a good explaination from another AK member ( post # 4 ). http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=240809

That page considers tonearms of 11 to 25g as "moderate mass". That's too wide a range. 25g isn't moderate mass at all, mind you.

I'd say:

3-6g: ultra low mass (SME 3009 III)
7-10g: low mass (SME 3009 II with headshell)
11-16g: mid mass (most popular tonearms nowadays)
16-25g: high mass (many 12 inch tonearms)
more than 25g: very high mass tonearm (professional tonearms)
 
That page considers tonearms of 11 to 25g as "moderate mass". That's too wide a range. 25g isn't moderate mass at all, mind you.

I'd say:

3-6g: ultra low mass (SME 3009 III)
7-10g: low mass (SME 3009 II with headshell)
11-16g: mid mass (most popular tonearms nowadays)
16-25g: high mass (many 12 inch tonearms)
more than 25g: very high mass tonearm (professional tonearms)

Why is the heaver arm (Pro) :scratch2: sorry if this sounds stupid. Trying to learn all this. Retired and interested in it now/again.:yes:
 
That page considers tonearms of 11 to 25g as "moderate mass". That's too wide a range. 25g isn't moderate mass at all, mind you.

I'd say:

3-6g: ultra low mass (SME 3009 III)
7-10g: low mass (SME 3009 II with headshell)
11-16g: mid mass (most popular tonearms nowadays)
16-25g: high mass (many 12 inch tonearms)
more than 25g: very high mass tonearm (professional tonearms)

Thank you Flavio.

For the benefit of all, can you show where you obtained these specs? It would be nice to have this information as a guide for future reference because these questions of compliance and arm mass come up all the time.
 
Thank you Flavio.

For the benefit of all, can you show where you obtained these specs? It would be nice to have this information as a guide for future reference because these questions of compliance and arm mass come up all the time.

Well, it's just my opinion, but based on common/well regarded tonearms and also based on all the literature (leaflets, brochures) over time.

At the end it's just subjective ("low", "medium", "heavy"), but i would say that my classification is good enough.
 
Back
Top Bottom