• Please note that Audiokarma will be offline briefly for updates early on Monday morning, September 28th.

What is it about White Van Speakers that tricks people?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Greed pure and simple add to that, the vast number of speaker manufacturers, and the innate fear of admitting we don't know something. The root of any scam is greed.
 
I think it's people feel lucky when they are offered something like this, it's the same feeling that they get if they buy a winning scratch off.

The scammers present it as a victimless crime where the scammers and the purchasers win.

So people who know no better about speakers think there friends and family will be proud of them for getting such a good deal.

The scammers prey on their emotions and pick their marks.

All in all a very well thought out and implemented scam, if you don't know any better it's probably hard to resist.

On the other hand the scammers are scum.
 
What is it about White Van Speakers that tricks people?
Their own mind and the false premise that they're getting a whole lot of something for close to nothing.

It's simple. People are stupid.
While this might not be the best or most logical explanation, i'm at a loss to argue it.
 
I have no problem resisting White Van speakers. Smug in my knowledge they're not worth twenty bucks.

Now, an attractive model selling almost anything, here lies a weakness. Look honey! I bought you a White Van juicer)-:
 
Just remember White Van Speaker Company Ltd. just may be one of the bigger speaker manufacturers out there. One day it actually may come out of the closest and be respectable.

Another thing to remember is that some of the crap from years ago is now considered good and persons actually buy it.
 
Audiophiles like to bring this up because it makes them feel superior. But I bet a look through many houses here would yield a plethora of "White Van Junk" in other product lines. And I bet they were bought for the same reasons a guy buys white van speakers.

I say ban junk period.

marc mc
 
Audiophiles like to bring this up because it makes them feel superior. But I bet a look through many houses here would yield a plethora of "White Van Junk" in other product lines. And I bet they were bought for the same reasons a guy buys white van speakers.

I say ban junk period.

marc mc

You are right, basically 95% of what comes from Wal-Mart is white-van quality and people line up to buy it because it's low priced even though it's junk and will only last a year or two. If you are lucky.
 
You are right, basically 95% of what comes from Wal-Mart is white-van quality and people line up to buy it because it's low priced even though it's junk and will only last a year or two. If you are lucky.

Thanks man I did not want to say the W word and piss a bunch of people off but you did and now I don't have too. But that is exactly what I meant.

marc mc
 
You are right, basically 95% of what comes from Wal-Mart is white-van quality and people line up to buy it because it's low priced even though it's junk and will only last a year or two. If you are lucky.

Thats a huge stretch, just cause it comes from China doesnt mean its junk, American Unions made plenty of junk aswell and it led us to this economic power shift to China. I am smart and demand a good product worth what it cost, some things I buy at Wallyworld and some I dont.
 
Didn't read all three pages...no doubt it's been mentioned many times. IMHO, simple; the allure of something for nothing is hard to pass up.
 
Chadlinz your statement about Wally world just summed up the thought process of the white van buyer about speakers when there is a thought process to be had. The difference here is we *really* care about good quality sound so we notice the difference between good quality speakers and junk. For other items we may care less and put less thought into the buying process. For example although I boycott Wal Mart due to their union busting practices and outsourcing to China I do drive a used Toyota Tercel that some here might consider to be a white van car. For me it works, seems like it has reasonably good build quality and reliability, excellent gas milage, and works to get me where I am going. To others the handling, ride quality, acceleration, and looks would be unacceptable in the same way 99% of here find white van speakers unacceptable, shrug.

But is sum I'd say greed, and people are stupid, careless, taken in by bling, and just don't have time to notice sound is why white van thrives. :( Sadly 99% of people outside of here given the choice between my JBL 51Cs and white van would take the white vans because my old JBLs are "ugly," "big," and don't fit in with the couch. Also sadly they could easily have good vintage speakers for the price of the white vans.

Funny there is an ad for an overpriced Bose HT in a box in the background on tee vee as I type this, so for Bose I'd add relentless marketing.
 
Last edited:
I do drive a used Toyota Tercel that some here might consider to be a white van car. For me it works, seems like it has reasonably good build quality and reliability, excellent gas milage, and works to get me where I am going. To others the handling, ride quality, acceleration, and looks would be unacceptable in the same way 99% of here find white van speakers unacceptable, shrug.

That doesn't make the Tercel "white-van". Just cost-effective and economical. But the Tercel equivalent Hyundai would be "white-van" IMO.
 
any tercel , or most lowend toyotas less than 12 years old were likely american made.
solaras and lexus are japanese ...

afaik , toyota only makes white -mini-vans and suv's,
aside from the commercial-series panel vans(ivecos)

is the next trend going to be..."white van 6x9s, 5x7s for white chinese vans?,......."

that would be something.
 
Thats a huge stretch, just cause it comes from China doesnt mean its junk, American Unions made plenty of junk aswell and it led us to this economic power shift to China. I am smart and demand a good product worth what it cost, some things I buy at Wallyworld and some I dont.

Where did I mention China ?

Since you brought it up you should look into why so many products that used to be made in the US, and elsewhere are made in China and other places now, and how much influence Wal-Mart buying practices had on their decisions to outsource. And much of it is junk because it has to be at such a low cost for Wal-Mart to carry it. That is why I don't shop at Wal-Mart.

I have owned many products made overseas and if they can do it better great. That's good for competition and the consumer, but that is market driven by the buyer directly. Wal-Mart has eliminated the competition on "quality for the price" and only focuses on price while leaving many buyers no other choices. Do you realize how many small to medium sized towns only have a Wal-Mart to shop at ? And how many times Wal-Mart has priced items so low that they lost money just to run the local competition out of business ?

I'm all for competition but it has to be a fair level playing field and it's not where Wal-Mart is concerned.

Just wait till they start selling cars at Wal-Mart. The questionable quality American cars made for so long will look like high quality in comparison.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom