• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

What Is It with This Audio Buying Obsession?

But, after 50+ years, one sickness still rages in me: I must keep buying audio equipment!
I don't share that sentiment because I have achieved a high level of performance and improving it would involve an investment of buying a new car.

I have enough systems (four) in my home to satiate my desires.
 
I was in the HiFi business for over 30 years until 2010. Up until then, I more or less had one system. It was a good system but nothing stellar. Sometimes I'd change or upgrade a component but never really hung on to anything much. One exception would be the Phase Linear 700B that resided in a closet a good number of years.

Sometimes, when I let slide to clients that I had an interest in audio components and music, they would state a belief that I must have an ultimate system.

My reply was always the same:

"The quickest way to loose interest in something is to do it for a living".

But when I left the trade, the acquisition bug hit. Like was previously mentioned, there is a high when finding and obtaining something. As with others posting here the something in my case is old stereo gear - and records. I expanded my horizons somewhat (but still in the same vein) by compulsory buying and reconditioning of 8 track tapes and to some degree, hardware.

Tape machines in general actually and turntables and speakers and amplifiers and to some degree, CD players. If it was cheap enough and not a complete wreck or POS, I bought it.

Last year the sense of ill at ease with my "habit" prompted me to dispose of some. I traded five turntables/cartridges for one and maybe eight pieces of amplification (plus a pair of speakers) for a particular pre-amp.

I still have multiples of everything but less than I did.

As others have also stated, I still look (and look too often as I'm tempting fate) but so far, have been able to walk away and feel good about it. I spent (and am still spending an a couple of pieces) too much time tinkering to the point of ignoring more practical pursuits.

Obsessions are nothing new to me, seems my entire adult life was occupied by one or another. And again, as someone previously expressed, some are more destructive than others. Physiologically, that is so but from a mental health or sanity standpoint, I'm not so sure.

There are people I know who's lives are a lot less cluttered and can move residences at the comparative drop of a hat. I can't imagine (although I envy it) that lifestyle, it seems to me sometimes like they have no interests. One is an author and several have small business so I know that's not so.

Maybe I'm not intellectual enough to appreciate things that don't move, make noise or need fixing. I will say that most if not all of my long term friend don't exhibit the slightest interest or care in any way for old technology performing as it was originally intended.

Guess I really am getting old and stuck way, way in the past.
 
Sadly I've refined my OB's to the point where I don't think there's room for improvement. So in order to feed the craving I've turned to these amazing TPA 3116 amps that are cheap as chips but sound incredible. I think I've done 8 or 9 but can't wait to get my hands on the new Volt+ when it debuts this month.

P3310004.jpg
 
I've been through many obsessive phases in my life: cameras, bicycles, books, classical LPs and CDs, tennis gear, running gear, and even Corvettes. (I'm missing a few, I sure.) "The sickness," as I call it, has surged and then faded in those areas. I'm now happy with what I've gathered from those eras, or I've sold or given some (or all) of it away. But, after 50+ years, one sickness still rages in me: I must keep buying audio equipment!

I don't need it. My current system makes me 110% happy. But, for example, just this morning I lost an auction for a sweet pair of vintage AR speakers. I tried to convince myself that I didn't "need" them; I just "wanted" them. I rationalized: "It wasn't meant to be," and walked away. Ten minutes later, I was back online, searching for something ... anything ... to give me the audio-buy fix I needed. It's like I have to have a tracking number to click and FedEx/UPS trucks to watch for.

What the heck's wrong with me? Is there an Audioholics Anonymous? I need those 12 steps bad!

Anyone else here feel like this?

Dave


^^ I have many hobbies but music/audio is probably the #1 for me. I am always on the hunt for good gear. :) new/vintage never mattered, audio is more of a passion for most of us... we crossed the "hobby" line a long time ago. :)
 
I had the same problem and found one thing that worked for me... self restraint. It was tough to do and I admit I still look but I'm not buying anymore.

There's nothing like a picture that describes the depth of this depravity. Here is my Yamaha obsession in full bloom:

YamStack01_zps329d61b0.jpg


So so cool!!! ^^
 
I don't need them either, but I have two old Technics receivers, an SA-6500(Most of these say Panasonic or National on the outside), and an SA-500. Now I'm fighting the urge to buy another old timer! I have no interest in turntables, or vinyl at all, but I have two old Technics cassette decks 45 and 38 years old, and they've never been touched and work and sound great! When I sold this stuff back in high school, I never thought I would be almost old enough for social security and buying it again for almost the same price I originally paid for the same item.
 
well... I just have what is on my sig.... i don’t think I have a problem -yet-, as it does not affect my day to day... my wife, kids and dogs aren’t lacking anything, so no harm... guess I really really enjoy audio gear... and of course music.... I work from home so I keep trying different set ups and just enjoy when I can...

If life throws me a curve ball and I need to get rid of something, that would not be an issue... they are just “things”... things that I sure enjoy, but are not priority in life...
 
I've been through many obsessive phases in my life: cameras, bicycles, books, classical LPs and CDs, tennis gear, running gear, and even Corvettes. (I'm missing a few, I sure.) "The sickness," as I call it, has surged and then faded in those areas. I'm now happy with what I've gathered from those eras, or I've sold or given some (or all) of it away. But, after 50+ years, one sickness still rages in me: I must keep buying audio equipment!

I don't need it. My current system makes me 110% happy. But, for example, just this morning I lost an auction for a sweet pair of vintage AR speakers. I tried to convince myself that I didn't "need" them; I just "wanted" them. I rationalized: "It wasn't meant to be," and walked away. Ten minutes later, I was back online, searching for something ... anything ... to give me the audio-buy fix I needed. It's like I have to have a tracking number to click and FedEx/UPS trucks to watch for.

What the heck's wrong with me? Is there an Audioholics Anonymous? I need those 12 steps bad!

Anyone else here feel like this?

Dave
I wonder how many of us (all the users of this forum) share the same inclination or obsession. If you can afford it, why not?
 
The acquisition syndrome is something I'm not infected with. I know what I'd like to have if I didn't have budget restrictions. I'd approach the process the same way I approach any of my interests. I do the research. That includes pro reviews, online reviews, friends, retailers, neighbors and anyone else that has an informed opinion. Of course, I'd audition every single piece prior to buying. Then I'd buy whatever it is I wanted. I'd then sit back and be comfortable with the choices I've made.

At whatever budget level one occupies, gear swapping is usually nothing but a lateral move. I don't really understand lateral moves with any type of gear not just audio gear.
 
The acquisition syndrome is something I'm not infected with. I know what I'd like to have if I didn't have budget restrictions. I'd approach the process the same way I approach any of my interests. I do the research. That includes pro reviews, online reviews, friends, retailers, neighbors and anyone else that has an informed opinion. Of course, I'd audition every single piece prior to buying. Then I'd buy whatever it is I wanted. I'd then sit back and be comfortable with the choices I've made.

At whatever budget level one occupies, gear swapping is usually nothing but a lateral move. I don't really understand lateral moves with any type of gear not just audio gear.

The root of your misunderstanding is that you cannot say that you enjoy the hobby more than the next guy. New. Old. High end, consumer crap. It's all good as long as the listener is enjoying himself.
 
Obsession over possessions may sometimes be an attempt at compensating for a lack of something else, whether spirituality, purpose, or human connections.
Yes. I'm trying to compensate for my tiny, tiny penis. It's not even big enough to be a micropenis.

First time we were naked, Nikki pointed at it and laughed and said, "Who do you think you're going to satisfy with that?!"

"Me," I said.

Me.
 
[
The root of your misunderstanding is that you cannot say that you enjoy the hobby more than the next guy. New. Old. High end, consumer crap. It's all good as long as the listener is enjoying himself.

I haven't misunderstood anything. Nowhere, nor at any time have I ever suggested or implied that I enjoy this or any other hobby more or less than someone else. I simply don't understand constant lateral moves with any hobby/interest. I just don't have the collector "virus" for gear. Source material (recordings) are something different. Even with them, collecting multiples of "whatever" doesn't pique my interest.
 
I have reached a happy point of items I have. When I get a bit too many over that point they go up for sale. I am selling a pair of speakers on my local CL and one of the pictures shows half of a Sony STR 5800 and I have had three offers for it in the past two days. (It has custom wood side panels made by an AK member and I will never sell it) and I amazed myself by saying no to them. For once I actually dont have an extra receiver I want to sell. I am a bit overloaded on speakers right now but that is about it.
 
[

I haven't misunderstood anything. Nowhere, nor at any time have I ever suggested or implied that I enjoy this or any other hobby more or less than someone else. I simply don't understand constant lateral moves with any hobby/interest.

You dont? There are so many facets to this hobby and even a "lateral" move can be very interesting: Different things look and sound different. My main system is in the living room and it does not change because it a matched system for the most part. My bedroom systems I fool with all of the time. I love how paring one set of speakers with another amp or receiver gives a different perspective on things. Some things I have had I have not liked so I sold them. The ones I like, I keep and rotate. Part of the fun is finding that rare item and seeing if it equals it's reputation.

I did not "need" them but my set of Imperial 6 speakers I bought because of their really good reputation. I could not hear them before I bought them but they were a steal so I did. I have loved them since the day I bought them. I have found another set locally at a good price but have not picked them up because even though they sound awesome to me, I dont want every system to sound the same.
 
What part of "I'm not a collector " do you not understand? I have made no value judgements of anything that anyone does. As for lateral moves, I'm interested in better not just different.

FWIW: I used the same main speakers for 20+ years. The only reason I'm not using them now is because a transformer in one self destructed. I buy and/or modify gear to please my ear so that I have no need to constantly swap anything. I have one system that doesn't need nor have a bunch of spare gear for lateral swapping. After 50+ years with this hobby I know exactly what I want. That my desires don't include a bunch of lateral moves is because after 50+ years I'm simply not interested in constantly swapping anything.
 
I'm so proud of myself. I've managed to keep it all on one wall in one spare bedroom. That's gonna be the standing rule. I credit this success to limiting my obsession to just receivers and speakers. I conveniently decided to define hoarding as anything that's not on that wall. If it's on the floor it's gonna be called hoarding in this house.
All the receivers get exercised though out the week thanks to that switch box on the top left.
This month I purchased only two receivers and sold two receivers. I think that shows commendable restraint on my part thank you very much.

And right now I'm waiting on the big truck.............................
 

Attachments

  • P4160002.JPG
    P4160002.JPG
    86.3 KB · Views: 42
Back
Top Bottom