• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

What is it worth? C34V preamp, MC2255 amp, MCD 7000 CD player

Couldbfishin

Couldbfishin
I have met a guy with this system for sale. I am not familiar with any of these so I could use your advice. Pros and Cons and estimated value of each would be appreciated. I have not heard them, but they look clean and well taken care of.
Thanks,
 
Register to hide this ad
I have met a guy with this system for sale. I am not familiar with any of these so I could use your advice. Pros and Cons and estimated value of each would be appreciated. I have not heard them, but they look clean and well taken care of.
Thanks,
Has he indicated what he's looking to get for them? All as a system or is he willing to separate?

Pros: Those components represent the best of what McIntosh had to offer when they were current items (1980's). You couldn't ask for a more flexible preamp and the 2255 was considered a benchmark amplifier.
Cons: Age, but that shouldn't concern you if you're after a high quality vintage system and you're willing to properly restore if problems arise. The MCD7000 has been known to have age related issues but when properly working they sound great. (I still use one). Value is dependent on condition, and could be all over the map. Original owner is a plus, particularly if he still has manuals and shipping cartons. Cabinets are a huge plus.
The best way to gage market value is to check completed eBay sales. You should be able get a sense of the potential range in pricing.

That's a fine vintage system to consider. Hopefully it works out for you.
 
Last edited:
I have met a guy with this system for sale. I am not familiar with any of these so I could use your advice. Pros and Cons and estimated value of each would be appreciated. I have not heard them, but they look clean and well taken care of.
Thanks,
What became of this?
 
The amp turned out being a MC2500 and he sold it to someone else before I could respond. I regret hesitating on that one. I t was in great condition.
I bought the C34V audio/video preamp and the MCD 7000 CD player, with the remote box and hand held remote for the preamp and the hand held remote for the CD player. Both came with the wood cabinets and are in excellent cosmetic shape. I won't say here what I paid for it, as I may be selling it. But it was a good purchase.
I hooked it all up to a Dynaco ST 70 amp, the only separate amp I have right now, and the preamp and CD player work fine. I need to figure out the remote controls, and just down loaded a full operators manual for each. Both the preamp and CD player came with "temporary" McIntosh operators manuals. The full manuals evidently were not printed at the time this equipment was purchased.
I have been watching these models on eBay to see what they are selling for. In case I decide to sell them. I have also been looking for a good deal on a MC2255 or MC2500 just in case I decide to keep them and will need an amp.
The only other Mac equipment I have is much older. A C20 early model preamp (1955-56) and two MC40 mono blocks (1962). The C20 was rebuilt by Terry DeWick. The mono blocks were rebuilt by a local retired Mac technician. I have it set up to record 78 records, as the C20 has multiple settings for compensation for the various record labels.
If you have any advice on "to sell or not to sell" and what it is worth, I would appreciate it.
I just took some photos and will attach them.
Thanks.
IMG_3620.JPG IMG_3623.JPG IMG_3624.JPG IMG_3625.JPG IMG_3631.JPG
 
Nice to hear that you've acquired the items that you did. As for "sell or not sell", I am probably not the best person to ask as I am biased towards the older gear. Everything that I have listed in my profile is cosmetically mint, and operating perfectly. I've had most of this gear for decades now. All of the Mac gear has been across Terry DeWick's bench at some point and still sounds great. That said, I personally have no desire or intention to replace or upgrade anything. Many will argue, justifiably, that Mac has far superior equipment available in terms of S/N, and features. But, at the end of the day I still have two incredible sounding systems in my home that meet all my needs. If I came across something interesting at a phenomenal price, I'm sure anything is possible, but I'm really not shopping for anything.

The C34 is a fine sounding preamp, with a multitude of very useful features. The MCD7000 when healthy is a fine sounding CD player. Both of these units will make a basis of a fine hi-fi system. I'm not sure what speakers you're using or what power requirements you have, but a 2500 is a monster. I can't imagine what you would do with that in a home (please enlighten LOL). Amps such as 2150, 2155, 2200, 2205, 2250 or 2255 would all be fine vintage options. Personally my 2155 has been a fine performer coupled with my ultra efficient Altec's. At one point I had a 2205 in my possession but found no sonic difference between it and the 2155. I ended up selling it.

Nice to hear that you have a Stereo 70. I still have mine, along with a PAS3-X that I've had since being a teenager. I've kept them probably more out of sentiment than anything. The last time I used the Stereo 70 was when the 2155 was sent off to Terry. Was nice to have it in action once again. I see you've got a nice selection of Marantz. My second favorite to Mac. I still have a 2270 in use, along with a pair of L100's.

Regarding the resale value of your McIntosh, best to look at sold eBay sales. Audio Classics is another point of reference but you need to consider that the restoration work they do commands a premium. Keep us posted on your decision, and let us know what speakers you're considering for this new system.
 
Back
Top Bottom