• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

What is on your bench now, being worked on?

70salesguy

Only 99 easy payments!
What's on your workbench now, being worked on or waiting for your attentiion?

These two are on my bench, awaiting my attention. The one on the right will get my attention first, as it is the most promising.


MVC-009F.jpg



Let's see your current project or the one that is "next".
 
Register to hide this ad
Right now, I don't have any audio based projects. I am building a PC for a local business though. Just waiting for Windows XP to arrive for it.

But I do sense an audio based project soon.
 
I have a Yamaha CR-640, Just a basic clean up, bulb change, and then I will have to figure out if I want to keep it or not..lol
 
Last edited:
My G9K- I've been having intermittent bulb on my power VUs and it finally is gone for good. Looking for the hard-to-find replacement (though the bulb label says GE 51 but it does not match I, V or P specs listed by people in-the-know here, so I've gotta figure it out).
 
I have a little Radio Shack SCP-30 cassette deck which I recently picked up at a garage sale the need the once over. Next major job will be an overhaul of my Quad 44 preamp using a Dada kit. New caps and IC's all around
 
Stuff I'll fix myself:

Polk Monitor 5jr spkrs - replacing a tweet
JBL L19 spkrs - replacing a woof
Tascam 38 rtr - needs belts
Pioneer PL 420 ttbl - pitch wheel needs deoxit

Stuff I'll likely farm out for repair:

SAE R102 rcvr- 'speaker-on-delay' relay won't latch
Technics SA 5270 - working one minute, dead the next
Crown PowerBase pro amp - distorted channel
Eden WT600 bass head - bridge mode cutting in/out

I'm sure I'll have this all taken care of soon :rolleyes::D
 
Found a Sansui A-60 integrated amp, opened it up and found a fried board. This little beauty was a poster child for the Sansui dive to oblivion. I think Mattel must have had some configuration input. Saved the aluminum faceplate for bench stock. All show, nothing under the hood.
 
It's been a busy weekend. Just got done repairing a Philly Audio tube preamp and a Micromega Stage 6 cd player. Very nice pieces, wouldn't mind owning them both. The Philly Audio preamp is by far the quietest tube preamplifier I have ever heard and it's loaded with exotic caps.

Yesterday finished restoring a Miracord 50H II, a Pioneer SX-650 receiver and a NAD 7020 receiver. The NAD 7020 didn't sound as good as I had hoped it would but it has a great tuner section and nice discrete TO3 style outputs - an unusually high quality build for a small lower powered receiver. The little Pioneer really surprised the heck out of me - I never gave those smaller receivers much respect since they were designed around output modules rather than discrete output devices, but it drove a pair of Small Advents very authoritatively. It's amp section sounded more like 60 wpc than 30. The protection relay was a total PITA to get to, though!

Next up is a Phillips 7851 receiver with flaky pre-drivers (I suspect) and then hopefully that's it for a little while. The Phillips is unique in that it's from the 80's but it's American made. I suspect it's made in the old Magnavox factory in Fort Wayne, Indiana - it even has the same inspection tags as the old Manavox consoles back in the 60's.
 
On the bench I have a Marantz 4430 which needs a new power switch. Next up is a Realistic STA2000 which has intermittent static in the right channel.
 
queue

Just reworked the bumblebees into orange drops on my Ampex. Broke a resistor so it will stay "on the bench" until I obtain a resistor (damn 1/4w 39K).


Just got a Pioneer SX-780 off the bench, bad relay.:thmbsp:
Marantz 2238 on the bench, getting close,:thmbsp: need to get parts :thumbsdn:
Got a dead Sansui 5050, need SM.
a couple of Kenwoods in line, one integrated has a peramp issue, one receiver has a "hot" FM meter, need SM.
Akai AA-1135 under the bench, roadside find, worked for a few mintues then smoked. It had gotten wet.

Got a sub-woof that I started on but will probably go to parts/trash.

Klipsch sub-woofer that supposedly has a power problem.
 
A pioneer ct-f850 casette deck. I'm thinking One of the motors is shot. Also could probably use new belts but I will wait until I can afford the kit/instructions. Have to search this site to try to find that motor rebuild thread I saw a while ago.... I'm a noob so even small problems seem like a lot to me!
 
Hi All

I spent the weekend cleaning up this Nagra 4.2 deck which had serious problems. No glass on the modulometer (fixed - made a new glass and fitted it through the bezel which I couldn't get off - no glue used - kind of interference fit), cleaned up and neutralised a serious D-cell acid spill all over a pcb but nothing chewed right through, spent almost 6 hours sanding and polishing its acrylic cover which had many scuffs and even a soldering iron burn.

I just tested it and it works fine - now I must figure out how to make a new output cable to connect it to my system (the i/c I made a few days ago for my Nagra Model E doesn't work with the 4.2). Also fitted 4 new rubber feet as 2 of the originals had gone walkies somewhere.

tripod
 
Last edited:
Spent the weekend fixing and cleaning up this Dual 1019 GW find from Friday. Currently working nicely. Playing through a NAD 3150 on the bench, which had given me plenty of trouble, but, after replacing the output relay, fixing the "soft clipping" circuit, and re-flowing dozens of solder points, also appears to be behaving (finally)!

100_3287.JPG
 
VTL Preamp, lost one channel. Hoping that's it just a bad tube (cross your fingers). Put to one side, a pair of Dynaco A-50s. These are stripped sanded and are waiting for staining, clear coating, and grills.
 
Back
Top Bottom