• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

What is the best refrigerator brand today in your experience?

peterp1

Addicted Member
I'm getting ready to replace our 15-year-old GE refrigerator and would like to get feedback on who makes the best refrigerators today. I'm looking for the better models from the typical brands (e.g. GE, Samsung, LG, etc.), which seem to be in the $1200 to $2000 range. I'm looking for stainless steel with icemaker, bot no external water dispenser (need to maximize storage), and definitely no built-in LCD screens.

Just trying to get a feel for what the most reliable brand is today. Out GE was pretty reliable -- it required repairs a couple of times over 15 years, but overall was pretty reliable. The plastic inside wasn't the strongest, we had a couple plastic parts break partially (making drawers slightly more difficult to open) -- it would be great if the new one was better in that regard.

Please share your newer refrigerator experiences, good or bad, so I know which brands to look for or avoid.
 
Register to hide this ad
Based on subscriber survey data, Consumer Reports says LG (99 out of 100) and Samsung (89 out of 100) have the best reliability. But, they don't really review many different brands.

We bought a new Kenmore french door bottom freezer 10 years ago. I've had to repair the freezer section 4 times. The ice maker isn't working now and am not spending another dime on it.


Screenshot 2025-12-02 at 1.05.51 PM.png

Screenshot 2025-12-02 at 1.06.18 PM.png
 
Last edited:
Based on subscriber survey data, Consumer Reports says LG (99 out of 100) and Samsung (89 out of 100) have the best reliability. But, they don't really review many different brands.

We bought a new Kenmore french door bottom freezer 10 years ago. I've had to repair the freezer section 4 times. The ice maker isn't working now and am not spending another dime on it.
I have a Samsung. Bought it in 2018. It's been very reliable.

Knock on wood.

refrigerator samsung (5-9-18) (1) small.jpg

refrigerator samsung (5-9-18) small.jpg

The only complaint is keeping the stainless steel free from smudge marks. That's a pain. I use this.
 
Absolutely no way LG is top. They have had major problems with their compressors for years. There was a class action lawsuit and looks like there is a new one this year. Our LG fridge from 2018 died still under warranty. No service tech would touch it and LG just gives the run around. It would never get fixed and if it did there is a good chance it will fail soon. I fought with them for over a month and finally got an $800 check. Our LG dishwasher from 2018 also just died. Nothing but problems with that thing. Samsung compressors had the same issue.

You'll have to spend at least 2k to get something that's not a small white apartment fridge. I've got a whirlpool that has been good for 2 years. The door shelves crack easily.
 
Side by Side bottom freezer Samsung, about to turn 14 years old with no issues (big loud knock on wood!) but it does not have the ice maker stuff that causes trouble for all brands (spent 10 years in Europe, I live nicely without ice in my drinks)
 
Absolutely no way LG is top. They have had major problems with their compressors for years. There was a class action lawsuit and looks like there is a new one this year. Our LG fridge from 2018 died still under warranty. No service tech would touch it and LG just gives the run around. It would never get fixed and if it did there is a good chance it will fail soon. I fought with them for over a month and finally got an $800 check. Our LG dishwasher from 2018 also just died. Nothing but problems with that thing. Samsung compressors had the same issue.

You'll have to spend at least 2k to get something that's not a small white apartment fridge. I've got a whirlpool that has been good for 2 years. The door shelves crack easily.

Absolutely no way LG is top. They have had major problems with their compressors for years. There was a class action lawsuit and looks like there is a new one this year. Our LG fridge from 2018 died still under warranty. No service tech would touch it and LG just gives the run around. It would never get fixed and if it did there is a good chance it will fail soon. I fought with them for over a month and finally got an $800 check. Our LG dishwasher from 2018 also just died. Nothing but problems with that thing. Samsung compressors had the same issue.

You'll have to spend at least 2k to get something that's not a small white apartment fridge. I've got a whirlpool that has been good for 2 years. The door shelves crack easily.

I haven’t had good luck with LG in general - 2 failed LG LED projectors on very low hours, a failed LG 21:9 monitor, failed LG dishwasher, but out LG washer and dryer have been pretty good. No idea on refrigerators, but your feedback is helpful.

Regarding costs, I’ve found them to generally be pretty inexpensive in casual looking at Home Depot, well under 2k for professional looking stainless steel. I don’t really have an upper budget, just don’t want an “elite” brand like Wolf or Viking, haven’t found them to be the high end appliance to be that good.
 
We have a Whirlpool side by side without the water or ice on door dispenser. I dislike side by sides wife likes them. Other then ice maker going bad and the plastic covers on the door covers and meat tray cracking. Been good these ten years on.

We had a issue with the city's supply water pipes bursting and getting mud. This took out at least one for sure of the ice makers replaced.
 
I have a Samsung. Bought it in 2018. It's been very reliable.

Knock on wood.

View attachment 3645958

View attachment 3645961

The only complaint is keeping the stainless steel free from smudge marks. That's a pain. I use this.

Is this by chance an extra tall refrigerator? It looks like it from the picture, but hard to tell.

Our max height is 68 1/4”, which is a bit limiting (some models are close to 67”). We could knock out the cabinet above and get an extra 14” or so for an extra tall refrigerator. Haven’t looked for extra tall models yet. We could use extra storage, but not sure if I want to take out the cabinet.
 
Is this by chance an extra tall refrigerator? It looks like it from the picture, but hard to tell.

Our max height is 68 1/4”, which is a bit limiting (some models are close to 67”). We could knock out the cabinet above and get an extra 14” or so for an extra tall refrigerator. Haven’t looked for extra tall models yet. We could use extra storage, but not sure if I want to take out the cabinet.
Model RS25J500DSR/BY

331df7c6-b9d7-4e84-87fd-a78fd4923bcd.jpg
 
Samsung Bespoke Flex here that's going on 5 years. They had problems with ice makers before this unit but relocated them to the freezer. Mine is fine and we do like the auto fill water pitcher in the fridge door. One side of the bottom freezer can be used as a refrigerator for more room.
 
If I were buying new - then I'd be scouring every reputable source for current customer satisfaction and what reliability info is available.

Appliance build quality changes constantly.

I'd recommend Whirlpool, because my dumb simple top/bottom refrigerator is 30 years old and works just fine, but that wouldn't be current with the times.

And this is just me, but I'd go as basic and dumb as possible. My fridge does not need to be connected to the internet and I do NOT want to see advertisements on the door display or get text/email notifications.
 
We bought a $275 side by side Whirlpool at a thrift store in 2015. White.
After we got it home, we noticed it had some minor rust in some areas like it had been outside for at least a couple of months.
We also noticed the doors were a little askew, as if it had been dropped a bit, maybe out of a truck.
However...
About 3 years later the doors got real hard to open.
Turns out the seals are heated.
Problem was a relay. Found a kit on ebay for $8.

That's been the only problem.

I'm gonna rate that A++ considering it's previous life and the horror stories you hear about "modern" appliances.


In contrast, our boy and his wife had "upgraded" appliances added to their new construction home.
Samsung, stainless, high end, freezer on bottom, one glass upper door, etc.

The ice maker failed six months after warranty.
 
Last edited:
The more options you get, the more things to break.
I went on a two-week vacation, and when I came back, my old GE refrigerator's water line to the ice maker was broken. Water spewing everywhere, for prolly two weeks. :(

Lots of damage to the floors, the walls, and the electrical outlets.

That was a $5000 "surprise." No more ice makers for me. I now use silicone ice trays.

Dammit, how these things always happen when you are on vacation, and no one is home.

f277cf20-c379-403a-8129-f047b919c786.gif
 
Oops, almost forgot- ice maker auger rotted apart at the circle end.

Part was $30 but install was a PITA.

Still A++ rating in my book.
 
I went on a two-week vacation, and when I came back to my old GE refrigerator, the ice-maker line was broken. Water spewing everywhere, for prolly two weeks. :(

Lots of damage to floors, walls, and electrical outlets.

That was a $5000 "surprise." No more ice makers for me. I now use silicone ice trays.

Dammit, how these things always happen when you are on vacation, and no one is home.

f277cf20-c379-403a-8129-f047b919c786.gif

Agree.
 
We've got an LG and it has already had its control board, compressor, ice maker and freezer core replaced. MEH!
On the other hand, I have a 30 year old Whirlpool that now lives in the garage. It works perfectly still to this day and it survives low temperatures in the winter and high temperatures in the summer.
 
Samsung double door - purchased new in 2009. No repairs or issues at all.
Working fine; will look to replace within the next year or so.
 
I worked for GE and got a great deal on their appliances when we built our house in 2004. All of them crapped out and have been replaced except for the double oven. GE does not make / own the appliances with their logo. This division was sold to Haier and everything is made in China. I would never buy another GE appliance as they are junk. They do make great combustion turbines and jet engines though. ;)
 
Back
Top Bottom