• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

What is the difference b/w 170DC, 300DC and 250 line

airtime

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
So what is the bit differenc between the 170dc and 300dc. Seems to be the same but half the power. Are there any sonic differneces????

And how does the 250 line sonically compare to the DC line????

If the DC line is like the "B" class of marantz I have always found them to be more edgy or brighter on the top end. But otherwise exceptionally clean sounding. Sometimes boardering on a little TOO clean sounding.


charles
 
Register to hide this ad
Bump
To try resurrect an old question since no one bit in 2008, maybe a new member could share some light.
I'd love to know what everyone thinks
 
My 2 cents, After, owning them.
Love the 250/250m. Own a lot of them and great with 8 Ohms speakers, once you get some power-hungry speakers. You need to move to the 500. Good luck finding a 500 and there comes the 300dc. The 300dc is in a class of its own and if you are going to exhaust the power of a 250/250M and cannot afford the 500, get a 300dc.
The 170/1180/300 all have the same power amp design but with max power output. But again, if you can do with less power, I had stick with the 250/250m. Well, I am the 300Dc is only connected to my power-hungry speakers.
All comparisons with a fully restored Marantz 7t/33/3300/3600 (yet to try with the Kenwood 700c, which is due for restoration soon).
IMHO. The 300DC easily outclasses most Marantz power amps except the 500. Unless OfCourse like me, you are a die-hard fan of the Marantz 32/250 design.
 
I was surprised to see this thread come back to life.

I've been using my 250M for about 8 years now and I'm still as happy with it as the day I got it.

I used to have a 170DC and 1200 integrated amp (250 amp / 3300 preamp section) at the same time. I remember preferring the sound of the 1200's 250 amp section more.
 
I was surprised to see this thread come back to life.

I've been using my 250M for about 8 years now and I'm still as happy with it as the day I got it.

I used to have a 170DC and 1200 integrated amp (250 amp / 3300 preamp section) at the same time. I remember preferring the sound of the 1200's 250 amp section more.
Yes, the 250/250 are great amps. I own a whole shelf of them, all fully rebuilt with different components, to bring out the best in them. The 300 was a late purchase, I had the 170 and although good, just did not click for me. Also owned and sold the SM9. But the 300 is well above the 170/SM9. I was quite surprised at its performance, and it does not color the sound in any way. And if I may use the word our professor used in engineering, ' It's a Walle". Meaning output is as clean and unchanged as the input, just pure amplification.
My 500 is under restore, Will compare that too. We owned a Marantz 7c and 500 in my father's house since it was released. So, I am quite familiar with its sound. It's still working till today.
Having said the above comments, the 300dc quite surprised me. I did not expect it to do so well in comparison to the 250 series, since most use the 300 with 3650, I guess the 7T brought out the best in it. Cannot wait to try out the 700C on it.
And don't get me wrong, but the 250/250M will always be my favorites and also the last unit remaining/ standing in my house. Working with another AudioKarma member to make some new PCB for the Relay board of the 250 so we can use the LY2 relay. The 32 Relay PCB is ready.
see here.
 
Last edited:
I can see that no matter what happens I will NEVER let my 250m go. Even though I do prefer some of the new Marantz amps, the 250m still has that special place in the lineup.

EDIT: My most used amp is the amp section of my Marantz PM8004 integrated. To be honest, the preamp section sucked a lot of the life out of the music, but the amp section is quite good. I find it very detailed and 3D with excellent range, dynamics and tone. As compared to the 250m which has a "full bodied" sound but can't reproduce the micro dynamics and detail the newer amps can offer. But all in all it sounds simply wonderful.
 
As an homage to your thread being resurrected, I started listening to my 250m a few days ago. It sits ready to play (250m/7t/20b) in a room that doesn't get much use of late. It's like seeing (hearing) an old friend again.

To fellow 250m lovers... :beerchug:
 
I own a 170/250/250m/300dc they all have their strengths I agree with GRonald that the 250 series has a lovely tone and with the right speakers sounds the nicest but if I had to choose one I’d go a 300dc as it’s an amazing all rounder, has a little more power, and perhaps a little more reliable than the 250 series - they are all special!
 
Back
Top Bottom