• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

What is the purpose of the "lift bolt" on a dual 1218?

red888

Active Member
I'm having a hard time finding out wtf I do with this thing and it's purpose. The service and use manual don't say anything about it- maybe I missed something.

I needed to adjust the height of the arm, it's a little too low to stack more than like 4 lps- at 5 high the lift level doesn't raise it high enough off the record.

I just fiddled with the "lift bolt" and that seems to raise it and it _sounds_ ok, but what did I just do?

Does fiddling with the lift bolt change the needle pressure or angle?
 
Register to hide this ad
Maybe this will help (From the Dual 1218 SM). "Lift Bolt (screw)" is part no. 193.
Apparently setscrew (225) also can adjust stylus height above the record. As far as I can tell, this adjustment is only how high the tonearm is lifted to position it over the stack of records either for starting or auto return of the tonearm. The stylus and tonearm (head) angle is fixed by the height of the tonearm gimbal.

Screenshot 2026-01-14 202013.jpg
 
Last edited:
Yeah I always see set screw as the method for adjusting the height which is why I'm thinking maybe I shouldn't be touching this.

"this adjustment is only how high the tonearm is lifted to position it over the stack of records" for set screw or lift screw adjustment?

Also after I raised it I found it was too high to touch the first record so mostly set it back.

Since I started fiddling with it already how should it be dailed in?

It must be impacting the tracking force- I haven't weighed it to confirm.

OR maybe the arm isn't supposed to rest on it while it's playing at all and it's just for adjusting needle drop?
 
Back
Top Bottom