• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

What is up with the Mark Levinson 5101

Recently installed a Mark Levinson 5101 cd/streamer into my home system.

Had trouble with connectivity. Downloaded the Mark Levinson and MusicLife app to my phone. Connected the 5101 to my wifi network. Everything worked but I would lose connection at random times from 1 to 24 hours.

Decided to get some cat6 cable and connect the 5101 directly via the ethernet connection. Again, everything worked but I would lose connection at random times from 1 to 24 hours.

Contacted Mark Levinson tech support. Their explanation is that the two apps are still in beta testing for Droid devices but work without issue on iPhones.

I then downloaded the two apps onto my wife's iPhone and am having the exact same results.

Is this product not ready for prime time?

Does anyone have any input that could help me?

Thanks in advance...
 
Register to hide this ad
So if you look at your router, does the device drop off the network?
Also look at your phones to make sure they aren't losing connection.
I've had some issues with the neighbor's networks interfering with mine.
I had to manually set the channel and get a better dedicated wireless
Setup. The Xfinity wireless transmitter was worthless.
I use a raspberry pi with volumio. The big $$$ streamers to me
Aren't worth it.
 
I have the same issues just listening to FM broadcasts via the computer using an analog connection. Thats why I don't stream. I occasionally use iTunes and have never had an issue there.
 
That is what I am concerned about. Do I purchase this unit or not.

I was in the market for a high end CD player / DAC.

Then I ran across the 5101 that also had a built in streamer. However, i have found that the streamer using TIDAL does not match the sound quality of the cd version.

How does the Marantz SA-10 compare to Mark Levinson devices?
 
Sorry I can’t offer any info for your particular component. I do know this. The fact that a $5500 piece of gear doesn’t work right out of the box would be more than enough reason not to buy it.
A Bluesound streamer and a Qobuz paid subscription just might save you a ton of money. Add an external DAC and a CD transport and you’re gold.
Good luck.

BTW Are you buying this new or used? If used and without any factory warrantee no one can fix this but Levinson.
 
Back
Top Bottom