• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

What is with these Paradigm owners?

Tucker99

Super Member
The following list of speakers and accessories was listed on CL in my neck-of-the-woods for, wait for this, $4,200 and in the text of the ad the vendor noted that in 2002 he paid over $5K (he has his receipt) in 2002.

2x Paradigm Reference Speaker (Studio 100 v2)
2x Paradigm Reference Speaker ((Studio 40 v2)
Paradigm Reference Speaker (Studio CC)
Paradigm Reference Speaker (PW2200 12")
2x Premier Speaker Stands 22" (J60)
18 Gauge Copper Speaker wire

Never mind that he paid over $5K for this set-up (his call, but query if he may be a charter memeber of the More Money than Brains Club) [Author's note: In fairness, I too have been so accused!] but whom, in their right mind, would pay $4.2K for used paradigms .....

So the question..... what the heck am I missing? The last set of Paradigms I have (7se) I gave away....

If you searched Paradigms in the Vancouver (Canada) CL the prices they ask are stupid...I mean, 2 + 2 = 5 STUPID....
 
Register to hide this ad
Some people have no clue. Don't they realize that with retail mark up the stuff is barely worth half of retail when they walk out the door. Right now with the economy in the toilet that stuff will not move. People that have any dough will only buy if it's too good a deal to pass up.
 
So the question..... what the heck am I missing?

I think you're missing a fine opportunity to find humor in the seller's expectations and just move on without being bothered by it all.

I hesitated even posting for fear I was being hypocritical in that it's all just a big waste of your and my time to be bothered discussing it. :D
 
I agree the price sounds high for speakers of that vintage.

However, Paradigm Studios are a significant price increase over the Paradigm Monitor series, and your 7se were a predecessor of those, afaik.

FWIW, the price of a new pair of Studio 100s, just for reference, is roughly $2,500.
 
While I agree they are not worth the price, why not try. We all see the ridiculas prices that people pay on ebay. Seems like CL is catching up fast. I used to get pissed too but if there are people stupid enough to pay those prices you can't hardly blame the seller. JMHO.
 
You could always e-mail the seller and ask if he misplaced a decimal point. You might get a deal when no one else responds.
 
To 'brutal' I a not "bothered" and to 'coman61' I am not "pissed". Truly, I have never understood why, in my jurisdiction, Paradigms seem to command the prices that they do.... that was really my questions, as I know the vendor won't get his asking price.

In part, at least, 'whoaru99' answered my question ....the speakers are darn expensive to start with. OK, that's part of the answer.

Now, does anyone have an opinion as to whether Paradigms new are worth the $$ or what would be a better $$-for-$$ speaker to buy?

Oh, and perhaps I ought to add ...I have no intention of bidding on these speakers..... If anyone else local wants 'em, have at it.
 
Now, does anyone have an opinion as to whether Paradigms new are worth the $$ or what would be a better $$-for-$$ speaker to buy?
Paradigms still seem to garner good reviews and critical acclaim in the audio press. My local shop does pretty well selling them, too. So in general they are perceived as offering good sound value for the money. Otherwise they wouldn't sell.
 
Back
Top Bottom