• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

What Is Your Favorite Pre-Amp?

bully said:
My favorite has been the Yamaha C-80, a superb control amp by any means. I am also very fond of the Carver C-1, a definite overachiever. The Kenwood Basic C2 has a great phono section, as good as any. I have a LOT of fun with the big Soundcraftsmen DX4200 pre/eq rig..
Hey B., I was about to ask if the Yamaha C-70 was among this upper echelon. That thing was MSRP'd at over $700 if I can believe what I read. I don't use the phono, but what is the preamps actual contribution to the sound character? It is not the source, and I like the tone controls "flat" or out of the circuit most of the time. -sf
 
I have several preamps and they seem to get equal time in the rotation, but my sentimental favorite is my old recapped Hafler DH-101. How did I test it to see if it had what it took? At the stereo shop they had the DH-101 connected to a turntable. I looked around furtively and when no one was looking, I flicked the stylus of the phono cartridge gently with my index finger. Mind you, I'd been doing this professionally for about seven years at a local radio station. I knew what that index finger should sound like, and most preamps for the home couldn't hack it, not even close. The Hafler, I found, sounded more index-fingery than any other preamp I'd ever heard, and I bought one on the spot.

You do believe me, don't you?
 
Fingeriness is something I definitely value. You are insane LOL. Too cool.

I had a mcintosh C-26 for about a year that was replaced by an anthem Pre1. Pre1 is old but not vintage, and one of the best preamps I have ever heard/owned. lll rave about it all day long. I had financial troubles and sold it. I have not seen a single one for sale in along time.

I have a PSE studio SL preamp on its way to me right now thats supposed to be great. I got a nice deal on it at 240 shipped. Ill update after I try it out.

Evan
 
I loved my Soundcraftsmen PE2217 in black.
Hooked to my Phase Linear 400 and Soundcraftsmen T6001 tuna. Wish I still had it
As far as an integrated...I loved my Pioneer SA-8500II.
 
Mine's this one - Quantum Electronics 102.

Nice and simple - inputs for turntable, tape and aux, volume and balance control and that's it!! Switchable internal sensitivity for the tape and aux and plug-in matching boards for the phono input that you solder components onto to exactly match your cartridge's output level and required load impedance/capacitance.

Takes +/-24V power from matching power amplifiers or a stand-alone PSU upgrade (still havenn't find one of these to match it yet, though!)
 

Attachments

  • Quantum 102.JPG
    Quantum 102.JPG
    126.9 KB · Views: 134
Beobloke said:
Mine's this one - Quantum Electronics 102.

Nice and simple - inputs for turntable, tape and aux, volume and balance control and that's it!! Switchable internal sensitivity for the tape and aux and plug-in matching boards for the phono input that you solder components onto to exactly match your cartridge's output level and required load impedance/capacitance.

Takes +/-24V power from matching power amplifiers or a stand-alone PSU upgrade (still havenn't find one of these to match it yet, though!)
hi, i am not at all familiar w/this pre, but if you're talking 24vdc, an excellent upgrade would ba a lab grade power supply from hewlett packard, lambda, etc. these things are literally pennies on the dollar on ebay; yust look for one w/the required amperage rating, & one that adjusts to 24vdc. i used a ~$2k hp unit for the motor on my turntable, (picked up on ebay for ~$100); it made a worthwhile improvement.

doug s.
 
I've owned several pre's over the years. I used to sell audio in the mid-80's so had exposure to many models.

Owned a few Yamaha's C series from the early 80's, Kenwood Basic C1 and C2, a few Adcom's (which are very respectable) But the 1 that has been with me consistently for the past 21 years or so is the Nakamichi CA-5. What a pre. Very basic and built like a tank. One of the best phono sections ever! Very open and detailed. No tone controls, Alps pots, copper power rails. The only thing I'd consider (price wise) replacing it with today in the wonderful Adcom GFP-750. No need too at this point. :thmbsp:

H9
 

Attachments

  • Nak_CA5-guts03.jpg
    Nak_CA5-guts03.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 263
  • Nak_CA5-guts04.jpg
    Nak_CA5-guts04.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 243
I did not know anything about Nikko, before sweetening a couple of them up recently.

The Nikko Beta 20 is no slouch. I was thoroughly surprised at the sonic quality of that puppy after a full sweetening, and recap. I had it driving my SPEC-4, then I used it to drive my Yammy M-80, and there was definitely no disappointment.

I do still prefer my SPEC-1, however, and I have yet to give it the treatment I gave to the Nikko. I just got my SPEC-1 service manual today, so we are definitely off to the races :smoke:

Rich P
 
House de Kris said:
If I were to limit this to vintage gear, then I'd have to vote for the RGR Model 4. Great phono section, and more power supply capacitance than a typical 100WPC amp of the time (their claim, not mine). Since Bully gave the OK for modern gear as well, then I'd have to say my current preamp is my fave, the Theta Casablanca.

I'll give an honorable mention to Crexrun's Technics SU-9070 as well, very nice preamp.

I have seen an amp from RGR at a pawn shop in atlanta,,,and I think a friend of mine has the Preamp....interesting them RGR...do you have any info as to what happened to that co.?
 
my favs are the Musical Design SP-2B tube hybrid, and the venerable and oldest piece in my system, the Berning TF-10...simply divine!!
 
WhiteSE said:
I have seen an amp from RGR at a pawn shop in atlanta,,,and I think a friend of mine has the Preamp....interesting them RGR...do you have any info as to what happened to that co.?
I don't think RGR lasted too long as a company. RGR stands for Robert Grodinsky Research, so I typed ol' Bob's name into Google and got this link to a page with some info on him. As of 1999 he was still churning out patents, so it appears he may still be involved with audio.

Prior to RGR, he had a company called RG Dynamics and made dynamic range expanders. He licensed the expansion circuit to Pioneer who made a series of RG-x expanders. The patent from 1982, "Preamplifier for Phonograph Pickup" sounds a lot like the phono preamp in the RGR Model 4. It really is the most overload-proof phono preamp I've encountered.

Seems I can answer what happened before RGR as opposed to after RGR as you requested. Sorry I couldn't help more.
 
I got this Yamaha thing, I like them. So my favorite is the CX-1000.

I’d like to tjek out a CX-2000, I understand that it is like the CX-1000, but with better shielding.

Arrrg what the hek, send me a CX-10000 and I will tjek that one also.
 

Attachments

  • CX-1000.jpg
    CX-1000.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 108
Although I list an NAD 1020A as my preamp I've yanked it in favor of the preamp in my integrated Marantz PM 94. The 94 has a wicked phono section, whips the NAD with ease!:music:
 
Best I've had in my systems so far are an Adcom SLC-505 and GFP-565. But then I haven't had the chance to try many others yet.
 
I just picked up a Yamaha C-85. Very nice, quiet, and true.

I don't know if the esoteric caps contribute that much to audio quality, but this puppy is filled with Nichicon Muse...

Enjoy,
Rich P
 
Back
Top Bottom