• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

What makes the trannys blow so easily on the 2500 and 2600?

theblackknight said:
Im not trying to criticize Marantz at all. The looks of the 2600 are absolutely stunning. Better than a 16.5 in many ways. My new signature is just me screwing around--I put it there for the heck of it. If anyone is offended by it, Ill remove it.
Naw, it wasn't that, just saying for the heck of it.:yes:

16.5 is a fine unit judging by specs and opinions by respected members here, but don't forget there is a giant world of other stuff out there.:banana:
 
Negotiableterms said:
Alex, thanks VERY much for that site!

No prob.
They make some of the finest toroids I have seen, a friend of my dad's had several of their lower power models, the windings are exquisite.
 
All this talk has me thinking about the unobtanium dual core caps and the toroid. If either go south and is replaced with non-original and usually better components, the value gets killed. I love the sound of my 2500 but don't want to risk turning it on too often.
 
SoCal Sam said:
All this talk has me thinking about the unobtanium dual core caps and the toroid. If either go south and is replaced with non-original and usually better components, the value gets killed. I love the sound of my 2500 but don't want to risk turning it on too often.
Well, the way I see it, if you want to enjoy something, the value shouldn't matter, the functionality is most important.
I understand some people like "all-original" as well, which is cool, but if you did get unlucky while using it, you wouldn't be lost.:yes:
I say, run her gently and if something happens, which it probably won't, then it aint the end of the world.

About the caps though, a while back someone posted an auction where a guy had modified a 2500 with around twenty smaller caps soldered in parallel and that works fine.

Think about it, more caps making a basic value is better in some ways.:yes:
 
SoCal Sam said:
All this talk has me thinking about the unobtanium dual core caps and the toroid. If either go south and is replaced with non-original and usually better components, the value gets killed. I love the sound of my 2500 but don't want to risk turning it on too often.
Seems to me you would want to remove the transformer while still good and store it while using another if anything.

If you wish to have one built John Atwood used do this (custom work) and most likely still does.


Carl
 
Knowing who can build a transformer, and who knows the specs to the original (there are a buttload of windings on that thing) are two very different issues. There's a lot of information that needs to be collected before one is built.

The saved eBay auction from skibjr is promising. Need to send the guy an email and see if he can point us in the right direction.
 
EchoWars said:
The saved eBay auction from skibjr is promising. Need to send the guy an email and see if he can point us in the right direction.

I've sent two, with no reply.
 
alexkerhead said:
Well, the way I see it, if you want to enjoy something, the value shouldn't matter, the functionality is most important.
I understand some people like "all-original" as well, which is cool, but if you did get unlucky while using it, you wouldn't be lost.:yes:
I say, run her gently and if something happens, which it probably won't, then it aint the end of the world.

About the caps though, a while back someone posted an auction where a guy had modified a 2500 with around twenty smaller caps soldered in parallel and that works fine.

Think about it, more caps making a basic value is better in some ways.:yes:
That's why I have two 2500's. I like to make some noise but I never push past 10:00 and I never use the tone controls or loudness. My guess is I use about 100 watts and no more.

I remember that 2500. It had smallers caps wound around the toroid. It didn't sell.
 
alexkerhead said:
Well, the way I see it, if you want to enjoy something, the value shouldn't matter, the functionality is most important.
I understand some people like "all-original" as well, which is cool, but if you did get unlucky while using it, you wouldn't be lost.:yes:
I say, run her gently and if something happens, which it probably won't, then it aint the end of the world.

About the caps though, a while back someone posted an auction where a guy had modified a 2500 with around twenty smaller caps soldered in parallel and that works fine.

Think about it, more caps making a basic value is better in some ways.:yes:

The issue for me with the 2600 is that I think its collectable/coolness value is more than its performance value. A working all-original model is worth what these days, $3000-3500? I bet for that money you could get a seperates combo that makes better music and is more reliable, but not as sexy. In other words, I don't feel like risking my investment because the enjoyment I'd get out of it probably isn't equal to what it could buy me.
 
EchoWars said:
Knowing who can build a transformer, and who knows the specs to the original (there are a buttload of windings on that thing) are two very different issues. There's a lot of information that needs to be collected before one is built.

The saved eBay auction from skibjr is promising. Need to send the guy an email and see if he can point us in the right direction.


I've got access to lots of oddball xformers from industrial suppliers that don't sell to the public. Do you or anyone else know the specs of that transformer?
 
No...and that is by FAR the biggest problem.

This isn't something that someone is going to have laying around...the only solution is a transformer out of a 'junked' 2600, or a custom wound transformer. There is a slew of secondary windings that have to be duplicated, and I've no idea of the voltage or current required of them. The eBay seller apparently has already done his homework, and if he knows the specs of what is required, that information is invaluable.
 
Negotiableterms said:
Glenn, could we get the info from a service manual or a circuit diagram, or... something?
The schematic gives essentially NO voltage outputs from the transformer, only a simple wiring diagram...the bare minimum of information (typical Marantz, who rival Sansui for the worst service manuals). A working 2600, where output voltages can be measured, would be a start, but power capability for each winding (and there are a lot of them) needs to be determined, and I'm not sure how I'd go about figuring that out.
theblackknight said:
Would it be possible to mod the 2600 so that 510 trans would fit?
I've no idea what the 510 is designed for or what the secondary windings are. Besides the fact that the 510 transformer is square and the 2600 transformer is round and there is likely no room to install it.
 
Back
Top Bottom