• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

What Model Are These Pioneer Speakers?

Register to hide this ad
In theory, as said before, they COULD be CS-R300s, CS-R500s or CS-R700s.

Most probably they are CS-R300s. I say this because I have never seen the orange (some say red) covers on any model other than the R-300s.

Nice 2-way 10-inch speaker system.

Price is a little high for 300s, but they are not commonly found.

Check out this thread : http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=281969
 
Look like the 300s that I have. I beat up on them in a review I did a while ago. My position on them has softened after I hooked them up to a couple different receivers and integrated amps.

They behave fairly well with a HK 330b I have. They are walnut veneer and fairly well constructed. As 70salesguy suggested, seems a little high.

If the cabs and cloth were really nice and you have a use for them, you might go have a listen and try and halve the price?
 
They were Pioneer's cheap line when new.

I believe that you are mis-informed, sir.

The CS-R series was the transition from the "traditional" Japanese speaker design with the beautful cabinets and wonderful lattice-type grilles that unfotunately didn't usually sound as good as they looked, to the later to come HPM series.

The CS-R 300/500/700 were the 3 most common models. The CS-R300 was a 2-way 10-inch system, the CS-R500 added a midrange and the CS_R700 was a 3-way 12-inch horn loaded system.

They were anything but cheap, as the CS-R700 was priced at somwhere around $500 a pair, and were positioned to compete with the JBL L-100.

Later, the HPM-100 would be designed to compete head-to-head with the JBL L-100.

You may be thinking of the "Project" series that were the "value leaders" for Pioneer at the time. These included the Project 60, Project 80 and Project 100.

The sound of the CS-R300/500/700 was as different as night and day from the traditional CS series. IMHO, the CS-R500 is the best sounding of the three, but the CS-R700 is certainly not to be ignored. I have a pair of each of the three.

Closely examine the attached information that is in post #6 and post #7 of this thread. : http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=281969
 
so does everyone agree that 100$ is too much? if their in good shape i wouldn't think it's that high. if i found some cheaper i would be a happy camper!
 
so does everyone agree that 100$ is too much? if their in good shape i wouldn't think it's that high. if i found some cheaper i would be a happy camper!

Price is very relative to your budget.

$100 to many here is "a lot of money", especially if you are unemployed or underemployed.

For others. $100 is "pocket change". Most here fall in somewhere in between.

I've seen people here on AK post about buying JBL L-100s, or 4311/4312s for $200 and others chime in that they bought theirs for $50 or some other exceptionally good deal.

If they are in very good shape and you have the chance to "audition" them to be sure that you will like them, then $100 isn't outrageous (to me). Of course, any discount from there that you can negotiate is good.

I can't recall what I paid for mine, but it seems like it was in the $75 to $80 range. I was glad to pay it, as they completed my CS-R series collection.

You might want to PM AK member louwho. He bought a pair of them recently and seems to like them!

Let us know what you do. :scratch2:
 
Back
Top Bottom