• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

What modern subs do you use?

thedelihaus

Nocturnal transmissions
Curious to what modern subs you fellas are using.

I've got a collection of mid-90's NHTs, a late 90's-early 2000' Mirage, and a Cambridge Soundworks, but depending on what ends up in my main system, I'm possibly going to add two subs. Currently only window shopping for a pair of subs, I'd like to know what you run, how many, if they are passive, home built, etc.

I also have a bunch of external crossovers (Paradigm X-30,NHT ((would need modification)), Sumo Delilah Series 1 and Series 2), external amps (B&K, big Denon, Sansui) and subwoofer specific external amps (NHT, Pinnacle, DBX). The current NHTs are passive, the Mirage active, the Cambridge Soundworks also active.

May be fortunate to get an ACI sub at some point but that's not going to be any time soon.

Have considered re-claiming a set of Large Advent bullnose cabs and adding a new sub driver.
 
Register to hide this ad
><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯ `· .¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>‏

own none for two channel Hifi but, the best I have ever heard was the JL Audio Fathom f212 powered subwoofer. Killer.
 
I've been eyeballing the ACI models but ACI closed doors in 2009, so it'd need to be a used purchase.

I've also been eyeballing the Renaissance Audio/formally Morel USA models.

Hoped to have heard the small-form Anthony Gallo Classico line, but they are now strictly mail-order direct for the Classico line.

Passive is not out of the consideration nor is DIY.
 
I just added a REL Audio T-9 sub to my 2 channel set up yesterday. Music Direct was a great help with picking out the best model for my room. It is the first sub I have owned - wish I would have tried it much sooner. It connects to the speaker posts you use for your main speakers so it tracks the music perfectly. I probably will be tweaking it for a while, but right now its sounding incredible. It integrates into the music so well you cannot tell where it stops and my Focals begin. I think it will keep me happy with my current speakers for quite a long time.

I did not read much about its home theater functionality - but apparently you can hook it up to your 2 channel system and separately hook it up to your home theater system and switch back and forth as you like.
 
I've got an Enery S10.3 that I'm happy with. It's good with both music and video and sold for $600 new. It's been out of production I believe for a few years, but I see them new sometimes for 1/2 that. Only problem is it has no speaker output's. So if your using it with speakers that make some bass to 70 hz or so you must use the phono input instead of speaker input's or have bass management on the amp/reciever.
 
Last edited:
ACI had some good drivers that were oem. Their 10" and 12" are classics. I am a DIY and using various Fried 10" in 1/4W t-lines. The only way to have new ones would be a DIY buiild with substitute drivers.
 
I have a Hsu Research for HT. I am using none at present in 2 channel. In the past I've owned; Paradigm (several), REL (several), Martin Logan, SVS, B&W, Era Design, NHT and others that I can't remember at present.
 
Which one you wanna know about?
My reference system that you've heard has a Spendor Sub-3.
My home theater system in the basement uses two Hsu VTF-2s, tuned for music, not home theater.
My office system uses a Hsu STF-2.
My electronics system uses a Paradigm cheapie $100 craigslist special.

Unless you have a reference system, having an expensive sub that's large and goes low low is highly overrated. Having a sub that doesn't auto-sense means you have to turn it off. The only one I have without auto-sensing (the Spendor) picks up every set of cellphone trane-up tones within about 20 feet.
 
I am using two M&K MX-70's for music and engage an Axiom EP-500 when called for in HT. The M&K are crossed over at 40 hz with a Marchand XM-9 crossover and the Axiom is powered by a second set of outputs from the preamp. It is also crossed over at 40 hz.
 
I've tried a few different subs, Polk, B&W, and M&K, I heard how fast REL subs were, bought one, and won't look back!

REL has the SPEED you NEED!!! it keeps up with my stand mounts and makes them sound fast and dynamic and HUGE....

REL REL REL

THRICE!!!
 
I have a Martin Logan Dynamo, but it's not in use currently. I've been thinking of dragging it out for another attempt at the ever elusive seamless integration. Would like to try the speaker connections rather than the RCAs inputs. I gather for perfect integration you need to do more than just hook up a sub, find a spot for it, and set the volume knob.

I'd love to hear a properly set up pair of subwoofers from Seaton Sound.
 
I use a Paradigm Signature Servo. If I was going to replace it, I would go with a JL Audio Sub.

Integration -> Placement + Room Treatments + DSpeaker Anti-Mode 8033S = Great Bass
 
I currently use an inexpensive Emotiva 10" sealed sub that is surprisingly good. However, I would love to buy an REL in the future.
 
I own a Rythmik Audio F12se (www.rythmikaudio.com). I listened to a few subs including REL when hunting. I was a little nervous after not being able to hear this one first, being mail order and all, but I can tell you in the end I am extremely pleased. This sub is freaking awesome. It really sounds better than any other sub I have ever heard. The type of transients that come out of it are just unbelievable. I use it for both movies and music. I have it hooked up via speaker level inputs to my Brio-R.

The only other subs that I have ever heard compared to it are the JL audio line, but you can get two Rythik F12's for the price of one of the single JL's.

The nice thing about the newer REL subs, however, is that they have a two separate inputs. One that is speaker level for music and one that is line level for HT. It allows you to turn the volume up or adjust crossover settings for HT use and then the amp adjusts itself when you play music from another source. I just adjust the subwoofer level on my HT receiver for movies. Not the best option, but it works.

If you are looking at REL, check out BK Electric (www.bkelec.com). They use the same drivers as REL and a similar amplifier with the same HT input/Audio input mode but are much cheaper.
 
The Rythmik, REL and BK subs look interesting.

The JL Audio- are these basically the same drivers used in the automotive applications? There's always a large supply of them available on craigslist.
 
I'm pretty sure they are the same W7 drivers used in the cars, but the amplification that they use looks pretty interesting. If I remember correctly, it's got built in DSP.
 
I'm pretty sure they are the same W7 drivers used in the cars, but the amplification that they use looks pretty interesting. If I remember correctly, it's got built in DSP.

As in advanced auto time alignment and auto EQ/sound-tuning?

Interesting...
 
Currently:

Main: 2 Martin Logan Descent i's

Second "HT" (3.1: 2 stand mounts, 1 center, 1 sub...I dislike surround sound even for movies) system: HSU VTF-15H DualDrive

Third "background listening" system: Outlaw Audio LFM-1 EX Subwoofer

I have no need for subs in my 3 other systems. I actually only use subs about 1/3 of the time on the above systems, and usually at a low/mid volume unless I really want to rock out/feel the music (or soundtrack in the HT system).

I am looking into REL for my main, although the Descents are very good.
 
Back
Top Bottom