• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

What motor is this?

jamesc760

Active Member
20230606_184505.jpg 20230606_184550.jpg I purchased a motor supposedly for a Realistic Lab 400. I was having a bad speed problem on mine, so I thought I could repair it with a working motor. The seller was located in Great Britain. The Lab 400 is a DC motor, so I thought it should work no matter the AC voltage. The AC transformer is different from our US market turntables but the electrnonics are pretty similar. Anyhow, when I opened up my Lab 400, I noticed that the motor I bought was not like the one in my Lab 400.

In the first photo, the new one is at the bottom of the picture; I had removed the black plastic cover off my existing motor, fyi.

In the second photo, I put the new motor in and you can clearly see it doesn't even fit, it's slightly smaller.

There is another problem with the new motor, the wire connector is a receptacle in my old motor, the new motor has wires going out with connector at the end.

So, what Realstic Lab turntable does the new motor come out of? It's not 400 or 420. I think it's from a Lab 440, but I can't find a picture.

The seller listed the auction as not accepting returns. Does this mean I'm out of luck?
 
Register to hide this ad
View attachment 2904783 View attachment 2904784 I purchased a motor supposedly for a Realistic Lab 400. I was having a bad speed problem on mine, so I thought I could repair it with a working motor. The seller was located in Great Britain. The Lab 400 is a DC motor, so I thought it should work no matter the AC voltage. The AC transformer is different from our US market turntables but the electrnonics are pretty similar. Anyhow, when I opened up my Lab 400, I noticed that the motor I bought was not like the one in my Lab 400.

In the first photo, the new one is at the bottom of the picture; I had removed the black plastic cover off my existing motor, fyi.

In the second photo, I put the new motor in and you can clearly see it doesn't even fit, it's slightly smaller.

There is another problem with the new motor, the wire connector is a receptacle in my old motor, the new motor has wires going out with connector at the end.

So, what Realstic Lab turntable does the new motor come out of? It's not 400 or 420. I think it's from a Lab 440, but I can't find a picture.

The seller listed the auction as not accepting returns. Does this mean I'm out of luck?

I don't know what motor you have but you should still contact the seller. They might take care of you regardless of their policy. If not you could file a "not as described" claim and eBay should step in.
 
The motor you've bought looks like the ubiquitous Matsushita one used through the late 70s - early 80s by many companies.
My old Garrard DD75 had one which cheerfully drifted in speed depending on it's mood. Though I suspect the controlling electrics fitted by Garrard were as much to blame.

Asking for a refund may be your best option.
 
Fleabay automatically closed my return request because the seller declined it. I don't see any recourse at this point.
 
If it was advertised to fit your TT and it doesn't, than it's "not as described". Contact Ebay if you can't start another recourse.

BillWojo
 
It was described as a working motor from a Realistic Lab 400 turntable, that's why I bought it, I should've checked the picture against my own motor. I chose "it doesn't fit" as the reason for wanting to return it, is this why fleabay automatically sided with the seller?
 
Probably. You need to tell them it's NOT from the model that they said it was from. It's clearly not as described.

BillWojo
 
I have had similar issues with ebay, where the seller was not accurate in his response to them. Once I got copies of my correspondence with the seller to the right person in ebay I received a full refund.
 
I've contacted the seller; he's asking for a picture of his motor (that I have received), he's written "Realistic" in marker pen on the side the motor. I sent him the picture. Now, he's asking for another one because apparently he thinks he wrote on the "turntable aperture" I think he means the hole where the motor shaft exits out, but the space around the motor shaft is so small, you can't possibly write anything20230607_120735.jpg Lab 400 motor top.jpg there especially with a marker pen. I think he's going to claim that I've switched some parts with. This is going to turn into a pissing match.

If anyone can identify this motor, i.e., what turntable it came out of, it will help me tremendously. It may be from a Realistic Lab 440. If you have a 440, please take a look and let me know.

EDIT: I just found a picture of 440 and it's underside. This motor looks different, it's definitely not from a 440. I know it's not from a 420 either. So the mystery deepens.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom