• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

What music helps exemplify the best attributes of the Klipsch you listen to?

godzilla

Well-Known Member
Just wondering here...

Say you have some friends over that have never heard what good audio sounds like. You want to give them a good listen to what you're running. What music do you pull out to help exemplify what you feel are the best attributes of your Klipsch? Tell us what gear you're running to power your Klipsch, the Klipsch you're running, what you'd put in to listen to and why. It's just like with school, but you get to rant on about something you dig a bunch.

McIntosh MAC1700,Klipsch Legend Series KLF20's, any King Crimson. Not too many kinds of music are as eclectic as KC. It seems like their music can put a speaker through the paces. I made a KC compilation which is one of the discs I bring when I go speaker shopping or listening at a friends'. It weens out the weak.
 
Register to hide this ad
I find that if I really want to impress my friends that come over... I pull out the Sonny Rollins (Saxophone Colossus) or some Charlie Mingus (Oh Yeah) on vinyl.
These really put my 81 La Scalla's through the paces. Sounds fantastic. I find there is nothing better on horns than "horns". :)
 
For me, The James Gang or The Traveling Wilburys, but, for lots of dbs,
Rob Zombies "Living Dead Girl" All on the stuff listed below,
Enjoy!
 
Patricia Barber, SACD, Cafe Blue, Nardis.
Patricia Barber, CD, Mythologies, Orpheus/ Sonnet.
The Yellow Jackets, Live Wires, Wildlife.
POMP & PIPES!, WILLS: The Vikings.

That ought to blow their socks off!:music::banana:
 
My 84 Cornwalls really come alive to Dire Straits (Fade to black).I recently purchased a Steely Dan CD (Everything must go) and the song (the Last mall )sounds incredible on my Cornwalls.
 
I would suggest anything by Diana Krall, Norah Jones, Jack Johnson, or Eric Clapton's "Unplugged". They all show off the horns abilities to use the dynamic range on the recordings to the fullest. Most of today's compressed recordings sound like dreck on revealing systems...
 
A Klipsch forum member once recommended "Gordin Goodwin's Big Phat Band". I got it on his comments alone and it REALLY boogies.

Nice drum intro on "sing sang sung" if I recall name correctly. When listening, be sure to turn it to 11 please...

:thmbsp:
 
As far as music that I "pull out"...I have a couple of different LP's that are mastered very good as well as some 180 gram LP's that spin nicely too. (Linda Ronstadt/Nelson Riddle, Holy Cole, Earth Wind and Fire) I then surprise them and click the wheel of the 5G video ipod and there are a few lossless songs on there that are dynamic and wide range, amazingly good. Surprised because as they look at my rack, its all analog with glowing tubes (Antique Sound Labs 845 mono blocks and Wright Sound WPL 20 pre) with big ole 1975 Klipsch Belles and bi-amped stereo acoustic suspension subs, the ipod rather looks out of place. The Belles have modded networks which tames the edge of the squawker horn and I get a lot of jaws hanging open, :jawdrop: kinda a kick :naughty:

And for any of those that happen to not like it why, all I have to say is...:finger: :rolleyes:
 

Attachments

  • rackglowsun.jpg
    rackglowsun.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 86
  • Belles.jpg
    Belles.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 108
Nice room Wildwest! I dig the ambience you've got going there. Always gotta have a pic of the 'Man in Black'.
 
Nice room Wildwest! I dig the ambience you've got going there. Always gotta have a pic of the 'Man in Black'.

Thanks, we call it the Tucson Hard Rock Cafe LOL The coats are (left to right)
Linda Ronstadt / Stone Ponies
Grace Slick / Jefferson Airplane

Well, we can pretend anyway... :huge:

BUT! What you can't see on the right wall is a pristine Fender Strat once owned by Dennis Rose of The Centurions. You heard their music in the movie Pulp Fiction.
 
These really put my 81 La Scalla's through the paces. Sounds fantastic. I find there is nothing better on horns than "horns". :)

I,ve always beleived that horns sound good on horns, regardless of what network is being used.
As to what sounds good on my La-scalla's everything. Yes I do have some favorites, on vinyl Donald Fafen I.G.Y. and not to long ago I purchased Deep Purple Machine Head, I love Lazy LOUD.

snow
 
I also vote for Diana Krall. I just tried the new Beatles "Love" album (that's on vinyl) and sounds quite nice. Some of the old original recordings can sound a little tinny...the newly mixed one sounds very full. I played these through a McIntosh C2200/MC275 V, Klipschorns and Grado Sonata cart.
Robert
 
I just got some Heresy speakers working...

... with a Voice Of Music 812 push-pull 6V6 amp (whatever that means) from a console. I threw in something I bought in a used cd store by Steve Khan. I can't remember the title or the drummer, but Ron Carter is the bassist, and it is a smoking album, sounds great on the Heresies, which I am just starting to get to know. Last night I listened to "American Beauty," and I was very happy with the sound.

I like the Heresies. I seem to want to put on jazz combos or acoustic stuff, I might get around to some female vocals tonight.
 
Big Band, well recorded, sounds absolutely fantastic on Klipsch. My other go to music is Dire Straits:Telegraph Road, Explosions Polka from a Telarc comp disc, and The Judds Greatest Hits.

Can't forget how Keb Mo rocks on the Corns either. My Corns are pushed by anything from an EL34 PP tube amp to the Bose 1801s. I find the SS to grab hold of that woofer a lot better. More on this phenomonon in another post.
 
Acoustic instruments recorded in a "live" environment (that can include multi-track studio work) sound great on my Cornwalls. '50s and '60s Jazz, most ECM produced records, folk, Early Music, small ensemble classical, blues, and even amplified music recorded through microphones as opposed to line mixes.
 
What klipsch heritage speakers do best imo is extract detail from the recordings. When I have friends over that listen to music they are familiar with I often hear phrases like I haven't heard that in the song before. Well recorded live cds / lp are exceptionally good.
 
What klipsch heritage speakers do best imo is extract detail from the recordings. When I have friends over that listen to music they are familiar with I often hear phrases like I haven't heard that in the song before. Well recorded live cds / lp are exceptionally good.


I remember when I first experienced this...I had changed from a Denon Integrated Amp teamed with my KG4.2's and 3.2's to my MAC 1700 teamed with the 4.2's. All of a sudden I could hear a whole new realm of sound! It was like listening to a lot of my Cds for the first time again. Then once again it happened when I went tube with my EICO 2050...just not as dramatic as going from Denon to McIntosh.
 
Back
Top Bottom