• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

What percentage of your music library is well recorded?

BmWr75

Top octave? pfffffftttttt
Subscriber
All the music I listen to is ripped from CD to iTunes using Apple Lossless format. The total music library is now 122 GB in size (4289 songs or ~350 CDs). Less than 10% (11.65 GB as of today) of this music is what I consider well recorded.

So, a lot of the music I like is not well recorded and I find it no fun to listen on a revealing 2-channel system. That same music gets my toes to tapping in my truck or on a lower fidelity, more rock oriented system.

What's your experience?

Here are some of the artists I think tend to put our well recorded albums:

Allison Krauss and Union Station
Dire Straits
Donald Fagen
Fourplay
Ian Anderson
John Morgan
Larry Carlton
Peter Gabriel
Steely Dan
Steve Cole
Sun Kil Moon
Supertramp

Please add to the list with your suggestions.
 
Register to hide this ad
Herb Alpert
Tool

*edit*

I have noticed, with regards to newer recording that in general newer CDs and digital recording sound much better than the first versions from the 80s and 90s. The remasters sound much much nicer than the original AADs, in many cases. Conversely, I seem to get less consistency with new records having good QA than my old ones...
 
Last edited:
Probably around 10%. I don't have much trouble listening to the bad stuff on a good system though. Actually I didn't have any trouble at all until recently, which reminds me of a post I was going to do.. off I go.
 
Herb Alpert
Tool

*edit*

I have noticed, with regards to newer recording that in general newer CDs and digital recording sound much better than the first versions from the 80s and 90s. The remasters sound much much nicer than the original AADs, in many cases. Conversely, I seem to get less consistency with new records having good QA than my old ones...

Thanks for reminding me about Tool. Am listening to Undertow - Sober now. It sure sounds good through Beyer DT770 cans.
 
I actually just picked that up on double LP in very good condition at one of my junk stores and it sounds very nice on vinyl, too. :thmbsp:
 
I'd say 60-70% is "well recorded".

The "not well recorded" 30-40% is generally artists I like who were recorded under less-than-sonically-ideal circumstances, so it still makes for enjoyable listening, at least for me.

I can probably count on one hand the number of recordings I have where the recording quality truly interferes with my enjoyment of the music.

To me, recorded music is about a lot more than the fidelity of the sounds. It's about capturing the artist at a particular place and time.
 
I usually try to seek out the better pressings, but, really, in the final equation I'd take good music terribly recorded over terrible music well recorded any 'ol day of the week.
 
Hard to say

I mean a recording of something on LP may sound decent, then you get a new Cartridge and bamm, it's awesome. I mean that is why I buy newer stuff that has great reviews:scratch2:,to get closer to the music.
 
Back
Top Bottom