• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

What Russian tubes are worth looking for?

kotofei

permanent gear evolution
Subscriber
Greetings everyone,

I need an advice what Russian tubes are worth looking for.

One of my close contacts in Moscow is capable of getting some Russian tubes for next to nothing. The tubes were most likely made in Soviet Union 20 or more years ago; some could be never used. No, this is not an old Soviet radar site, just a department at a high educational facility.

I assume it should be a variety of tubes that are sitting over there. The question is-which might be the most valuable? I’ll keep some of them for my future tube setup and sell others.

Thanks.
 
Register to hide this ad
6C33 are used in some modern tube amps, BAT I believe and others.

6n3c-e tubes will replace EL34s in many circuits. In Cryllic I think they're 6P3s-e or something like that. These are not rare and are pretty cheap.

SV83 are used in some amps that use EL84s. Decware amps for one.

I don't know how much profit can be made on the ones I listed, those are the ones I'm familiar with.
 
6C33 are used in some modern tube amps, BAT I believe and others.

6n3c-e tubes will replace EL34s in many circuits. In Cryllic I think they're 6P3s-e or something like that. These are not rare and are pretty cheap.

SV83 are used in some amps that use EL84s. Decware amps for one.

I don't know how much profit can be made on the ones I listed, those are the ones I'm familiar with.

The 6c33c-b shows usually shows up in OTL amps. Cool looking tube, but near impossible to test in common 'western' testing equipment. So yes, unless you have an amp that uses them or a MIG in your hangar or Russian made ICBM in your silo you probably won't find a use for them nor be able to profit off one.
 
6sn7/6h8c
7189/6П14П-ЕВ

For the 6SN7/6SL7 go for the 1578 and 1579 v. 6H8 and 6H9( respectively ). Look also for 6S4P-EV and 6C45( small single triode with mu ~40 and gm outa the bazoo). Then there's bigger ones; GM70 for instance, and 6C4C( 6B4G equivalents ) as well as 6P21S( a DH tube roughly like a 6V6 but with a slightly higher plate dissipation rating ). 6H6 and 6H30 are like our type 5687 and work very well in audio apps. 6H6 is relatively inexpensive here, but 6H30 is getting nutsy.
cheers,
Douglas
 
I thought 6P3S-E and 6PS-EV were as well.

6N3C-E and 6P3S-E are the same tube. It looks like "6N3C-E" on the tube. But that's in the Cryillic alphabet; those letters that look like an 'N' and a 'C' actually aren't. Translated into Western alphabet, the desgination is "6P3S-E".
 
Last edited:
i have a friend that swears that them ruskie 6SN7's with the metallic bases kick ass!
 
The 6p14p-ev (6П14ПEВ ) is a dandy 7189 equivalent and good for EL84 replacement, too.

The tube (once) sold in the US as SV-83, I believe, is rightly known as 6p15p (6П15П) and is a fairly cool little tube. Steve Deckert used them in his SE-84 "Zen" SE-(pseudo)T amp.

I presume there are good Russian/Soviet tubes in the 6L6 family, but I am not hip to them.
 
Back
Top Bottom