• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

What speaker is this

humber

Active Member
I bought these speakers at a deceased estate auction. As you can see there are no grills, badges or names on either box.
However, they are beautifully made, very much like AR speaker boxes. Each box is 16 inches high, 9 inches wide and 8 inches deep and heavy.
There is a tweeter and a 6 inch woofer with rubber surrounds.
Can anyone help me with a brand name and information?
 

Attachments

  • 30  NOV  2011 014.jpg
    30 NOV 2011 014.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 219
  • 30  NOV  2011 016.jpg
    30 NOV 2011 016.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 81
  • 30  NOV  2011 017.jpg
    30 NOV 2011 017.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 104
  • 30  NOV  2011 018.jpg
    30 NOV 2011 018.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 71
  • 30  NOV  2011 019.jpg
    30 NOV 2011 019.jpg
    148.5 KB · Views: 126
Register to hide this ad
Based on those binding posts I'd put my money on them being a DIY project using some sort of old east coast speaker cabinets. Like EPI or something. A shot of the crossovers would be fun.

How do they sound?
 
Very Interesting. I did think the binding posts looked unusual but there is no indictation they are not original to the cabinet. The same applies to the speakers; everything looks original. I forgot to mention the woofer speaker cone is not paper burt a form of plastic.

I haven't connected the speakers to my KLH receiver just yet so I don't know how they sound and I will have a good look at the crossovers on the weekend.

At the same auction was a mint pair of Rogers speakers, a pair of Brauns and an untouched, original Garrard 301 turntable with tonearm......it bought $US1000
 
YIKES! How much were those DIYers? They look good. Well made. Just needs finishing. Of course, after owning some contemporary Infinities everything is going to look rough and hard edged, ha ha. Love those rounded edges on those Infinities.
 
Very Interesting. I did think the binding posts looked unusual but there is no indictation they are not original to the cabinet. The same applies to the speakers; everything looks original. I forgot to mention the woofer speaker cone is not paper burt a form of plastic.

I haven't connected the speakers to my KLH receiver just yet so I don't know how they sound and I will have a good look at the crossovers on the weekend.

At the same auction was a mint pair of Rogers speakers, a pair of Brauns and an untouched, original Garrard 301 turntable with tonearm......it bought $US1000

Audax used polypropylene, France's answer to Kef's bextrine. I used to buy Audax by the truckload from a guy named Serge. You can fix that poked in dust cap, just do a search. Lovely speakers. I wish I could have been at that auction.
 
Last edited:
The drivers appear to be Audax tweeters and Audax bextrene woofers. I used larger Audax bextrenes in some projects many years ago and thought them pleasing.
 
Last edited:
Those tweeters had low power handling I will bet they are blown. I remember the Brits in the day thought 20 watts was outrageous.
 
Hi,

I'd say they are british, and probably the long defunct brand Audiomaster.

The finish on the back is similar to the cabinetmaker Celef used to use.

Audax tweeter, and being vented should be the large magnet Audax bextrene
5.25". Probably a falcon acoustics made crossover board, might be marked.

Could be any make of a number of british firms from that period.

rgds, sreten.
 
Last edited:
I think you are on the money sreten. All the classic hifi gear at the auction was British including Leak speakers, Rogers etc. The only non British gear was the Braun L810 speakers and a lone Harman Kardon 75 Receiver.
A big thankyou!
 
Low-power tweeter or not, whoever had those would have known a little something about audio (specifically British audio). I bet those drivers are still good. I bet those things sound awesome.
 
I will say they are Heybrook HB2 with the velcro strips removed.


Excellent, although the top picture link also popped up some spam! The HB2 used the Audax 6.5 inch bextrene woofer and 1 inch silk dome tweeter. Was a very solid design, as were a whole wave of similar speakers of British design with British and French drivers of that era.
 
I remember the Brits in the day thought 20 watts was outrageous.

And yet they built super-low sensitivity systems with these heavy bextrene cones. :scratch2:

The OP's speakers look like good stuff, hope everything works well. :thmbsp:

az
 
Excellent, although the top picture link also popped up some spam! The HB2 used the Audax 6.5 inch bextrene woofer and 1 inch silk dome tweeter. Was a very solid design, as were a whole wave of similar speakers of British design with British and French drivers of that era.

Sorry for that. Never had an issue with imagevenue before.
 
Hi,

Heybrook did come into my head several times, and I was wondering
about the unpainted parts of the baffle, it now all makes sense.

British cabinet supplier and almost certainly contains a Falcon made c/o.

Designed by Peter Comeau, who is still going strong in the IAG group.

rgds, sreten.
 
Back
Top Bottom