• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

What speakers from the 70's or 80's are still made today?

Baron1

Active Member
Like the title says, what speakers from that era are still made today? I know the Klipsch Heritage line, but are there any else? I would suspect tower speakers to be the norm. Not looking to buy, just more a history lesson or nostalgia.
Anybody come up with some?

Thanks,
Dan
 
Register to hide this ad
The EPI 100/Genesis I are essentially still made as the Human Speakers Model 81. The EPI 150's are essentially their 81+.
 
Bose 301's and 901's are still being made, I don't know how much in common they have with the original series though.
 
You can still find some versions of the BBC LS3/5 or LS3/5A around. Falcon Acoustics is still selling kits. There are some Chinese clones being sold. Stirling sells a LS3/5a V2.

Back in the 70s, these could be had for under $200/pr.
 
Ohm H (Walsh) ?

The H wasn't a Walsh speaker, and I don't think they're still building them. All of Ohms newer Walsh speakers use different driver technology than that of the F's and A's of the 70's and early 80's.

However, Dale Harder, of HHR Exotics, is reproducing F's and A's. They're just like the originals, however he's incorporated some updates to make them sound better and last longer (and presumably not melt the voice coil if you over power them).

bs
 
Quad Electrostatics. I believe design changes since the ESL-63 have concentrated on the frame, not the drive system.

I believe several manufacturers are still making what are basically minor refinements of various BBC designs from that era. The Falcon LS-3/5A is said to be as exact a duplicate of the Rogers as possible, including new production drivers, resurrected from Kef plans and methods.

The Klipschorn has been in production since 1946! Seventy years!
 
Graham Audio is making BBC licensed LS3/5, LS5/9 and LS5/8. They've even hired Derek Hughes (he left Harbeth to work for Paul Graham). His Dad was one of the original owners of Spendor.
 
Back
Top Bottom